Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Jeremy888

Norcold 2118 X Code oP Ll

Norcold Fridge, 2118X series in 2017 Montana 3950BR Fridge not working. ,Beeping with oP Ll code ,a temperature limit switch is open ...call dealer. Found another post with a different model Norcold . It said if there is a little black box with a few wires running out of it and it has a,red light ,then the control is shot. It wasn't clear if the box was the control that needs to be replaced . Is it ? lI have the same problem and a red light on ... Help Just got all my other problems solved and now this .. it is raining ,blowing and nasty outside, and I'm wondering if this was contributory to the problem .

More info. Have talked to Norcold . They say it is the black box with the red light, and that it may not be bad (there is a visible circuit board in this box) but may only need to be reset. Unfortunately they would not tell me how to reset it . Call dealer! Does anyone out there know how to reset it ... While im waiting ,I will brave the storm and investigate .

More info ,went to You Tube and found out that it is indeed probably the weather/water thar caused this problem and that a magnet is needed to reset after drying the unit with a hair dryer. going out to buy dryer and a magnet

Problem solved I bought a cheap hair dryer 20$ and a pack of 8 disc magnets 4$ . Placed magnets end to end and taped them into a bbl. for max magnetic power. Dried out entire chamber paying particular attention to the black box control board with circuit board . large black rectangular box to left of the red led is the relay , The limit/ reset switch is on the upper right hand corner. You have to hold the magnet there for about 8 seconds to reset the switch. Do it with power on . when red light goes out the switch is reset. Not to worry about your trailor burning down if the red light stays out. If it comes back on ,then there is a more serious problem than water ingress. It will come right back on if there is another problem So this is an easy fix .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190214-110459.png
Views:	821
Size:	572.6 KB
ID:	20328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190214-142349.png
Views:	239
Size:	685.2 KB
ID:	20331  
Jeremy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
m&m

Hope this helps. Had to call maint.tec. about problem and that code came up and the red light was blinking. Said simple fix. Took magnet put next to box (ctr) and this resets unit. No light blinking now. The other reset he did was a unit in front storage unit where he reset. Had something to do with 12v drop or batt.
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
Jeremy888

m&m was your fridge also a Norcold 2118 ? If so then water ingress and low voltage can both be reset after cause has been removed . In my case by drying up the unit and in your case by charging or replacing battery or what ever the low voltage cause was that caused the limit switch to trip.

Why did you have to call a tech? Because the manual and Norcold say so . I understand that it is probably a liability issue , but no RV owner wants to endanger his life by burning down his RV by resetting a safety device that protects him from a fire. However for minor items like water ingress or low voltage you would think that Keystone and Norcold would provide the owner with reset information since if the problem/cause for tripping the limit swtch ,is still there ,the switch will immediately trip again indicating it is still there. I was so happy I was able to fix the problem and I cant help but feel this is another way for the dealers to rob thier customers . No disrespect meant to the techs on this forum , They have helped out knuckleheads like me who simply just can't afford going to the dealer . Case in point. I have a 98 Alpenlite where the slide gear box failed, (plastic gears) . It took me a week to find the part , Barker Manufacturing had bought out the defunct company who sold the part to now defunct Alpenlite. Had to buy the whole gear box motor assembly for 240$ . So since I had no idea what the proper procedure was I called the reputedly most reasonable RV dealer/repair service in San Diego County. I thought I could get them to repair it for me for labor cost only, and then sell it for me afterwords for a fair commision . So I called and they told me it was $360 to start to diagnose the problem . I said I know the problem ,the gearbox is toast and i have the new part in hand. He said no way to avoid the $360 diagnostic charge. I said what if I let you sell it for me . He says ,well you must first pay a $520 safety check and then pay to fix any thing we find . What? are you kidding me ? Therefore I figured it out with help from Lippert how to videos and You Tube videos and it only took me about an hour . This is why I can not have enough praise for this forum and thanks for the techs and people that help here.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:14 AM   #4
RichP8

Where is the black box located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy888 View Post
Norcold Fridge, 2118X series in 2017 Montana 3950BR Fridge not working. ,Beeping with oP Ll code ,a temperature limit switch is open ...call dealer. Found another post with a different model Norcold . It said if there is a little black box with a few wires running out of it and it has a,red light ,then the control is shot. It wasn't clear if the box was the control that needs to be replaced . Is it ? lI have the same problem and a red light on ... Help Just got all my other problems solved and now this .. it is raining ,blowing and nasty outside, and I'm wondering if this was contributory to the problem .

More info. Have talked to Norcold . They say it is the black box with the red light, and that it may not be bad (there is a visible circuit board in this box) but may only need to be reset. Unfortunately they would not tell me how to reset it . Call dealer! Does anyone out there know how to reset it ... While im waiting ,I will brave the storm and investigate .

More info ,went to You Tube and found out that it is indeed probably the weather/water thar caused this problem and that a magnet is needed to reset after drying the unit with a hair dryer. going out to buy dryer and a magnet

Problem solved I bought a cheap hair dryer 20$ and a pack of 8 disc magnets 4$ . Placed magnets end to end and taped them into a bbl. for max magnetic power. Dried out entire chamber paying particular attention to the black box control board with circuit board . large black rectangular box to left of the red led is the relay , The limit/ reset switch is on the upper right hand corner. You have to hold the magnet there for about 8 seconds to reset the switch. Do it with power on . when red light goes out the switch is reset. Not to worry about your trailor burning down if the red light stays out. If it comes back on ,then there is a more serious problem than water ingress. It will come right back on if there is another problem So this is an easy fix .
Where is this black box located on the unit?
RichP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:19 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

It can be 1 of 2 places. Either clipped onto the cooling unit just above the lower tank or mounted to the rear of the fridge at the lower left corner.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:44 AM   #6
bobbecky

That black box with the red light is also referred to as a 'recall device', and it's installed supposedly to shut down the fridge when the boiler reaches a catastrophic temperature and is likely to cause the fridge to catch fire and burn your rig to the ground. Typically, this is caused by the fridge running in an un-level position which restricts the flow of the liquids in the cooling unit and causes the over heat condition. There is a device you can add to your fridge that will stop the over heating and protect the cooling unit from early failure. I have had one on our fridge since 2015, and the fridge is still working like new. I added the device after the second cooling unit was replaced. Go to this site for information un the device. https://www.arprv.com/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:41 AM   #7
Jeremy888

Thank you BobBecky for this valuable input , Which of the various units did you put in ?:
Old 03-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #8
bobbecky

I have the model that has the fan control and I have the two extra fans. Our fridge is in a slide, so it needs extra help moving air. I had an older ARP device that wasn’t working correctly, and mentioned this to Paul when he did a presentation for us at our Montana Quartzsite Circle several years ago. He figured out that the older device wasn’t compatible with the newer 2015 cooling unit. I bought a newer control that has the PID feature, and after I swapped the control, he adjusted the settings and it has worked great ever since.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 01:07 PM   #9
Jeremy888

Thanks very much ! Yes ours is on a slide too ( 2017 3950 BR 5th W) .. Seems like 1-200$ is cheap insurance.