Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
Janet794

Premier 24rk

Howdy! We are scheduled to pick up new camper in two days. Anyone have one and have comments? Any issues with the opposing slides?
Janet794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to take a look at the pre delivery inspection checklist (PDI) located here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=5129 It has a lot of good information on what you should look for BEFORE signing on the bottom line..... Good Luck and enjoy your new adventure !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet794 View Post
Howdy! We are scheduled to pick up new camper in two days. Anyone have one and have comments? Any issues with the opposing slides?
The only issue I have with my opposing slides is that there not deep enough!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #4
Leatherman

Hi janet,

Welcome to the forums.

I am guessing you have a 24RKPR correct? I have the same trailer and love the opposing sides. It provides LOTS of room in the living area.

Our trailer has been a great trailer with only a couple of issues thus far. We have a 2018 and since new in April 2017, it has only had one issue I had to return to the dealer for which was a water heater circuit board. It fried. I tested it and knew what was wrong but I still had to return it to the dealer for their diagnostics and order the part. Very easy fix.

The other issue is the fan motor in the bathroom died. I ordered a new one and swapped it out. Another easy fix.

I have had issues with some other simple stuff like the trim coming loose that I had to fix, again, easy fixes.

I have done some additional mods to the trailer to add a few more comforts from the base. Such as a fan in the bedroom replacing the basic vent; and installing vent covers on the roof.

We have enjoyed our trailer and has treated us well so far. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about that model.

This pic is from last May at a campground in Gettysburg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0966.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	20289  
2018 Keystone 24RKPR (Previous)
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #5
Janet794

Ever have any issues with water collecting on the awning? We lost an awning in a storm once and have had the “auto dumping” awning ever since. Also, from your picture it looks like there is room in front of the slide to sit under? I think it is going to take me a bit to get used to the slide poking out front. Another question, two campers we have had have leaked from the center of the gutter in the front of the camper. Weird they run the gutter track from both ends and piece them in the middle. That junction has leaked, fixed with caulking, easy fix as you say. We know there will be “bugs” to work out and we are downsizing, so all that “stuff” IS NOT going back in the new one hahahaha! The roof is one piece and non walkable due to the Ultra lite build without precautions, any issues with this? And one more question. The camper sits lower than our last two, but higher than our Sunline that would bottom out. Have any issues with the lower profile!
Also, I noticed the responders here seem to have 2500 pickup trucks, did you already have them or did you get them to pull this camper? We have a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 maxed out for towing. I pulled our last heavier, bigger Cougar HT fine, but in the long run we needed to have purchased the 2500. Hindsight is always a kicker. This one is much lighter, the size of our campers prior, so we are well within the “sweet spot” for towing.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
Janet794

Picked it up

All went smooth and easy. I was a little hesitant buying from Camping World because it seems many people bash them. But, cannot say enough good things about Camping World Pittsburgh!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
All went smooth and easy. I was a little hesitant buying from Camping World because it seems many people bash them. But, cannot say enough good things about Camping World Pittsburgh!
Janet, many folks do bash CW, and I suspect for ample reason. I, on the other hand, have had stellar success with them in the various locations I've used them including my selling dealer (after we all got on the same playing field). I think CW is like any other line of RV dealerships; there are good ones and bad ones. You have to try to find the good ones or, if having encountered a bad one and you must use them, take them to task to make them do what's right - that may or may not work but I generally have success.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:58 AM   #8
Janet794

What are these?

I think I uploaded a picture to this question. Found these two silver things in the Keystone bag with all the info on the appliances in the camper. No idea what they are for??? Click image for larger version

Name:	6228A7F5-B961-4883-9C1D-84AC31CB1722.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	20306
Old 02-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #9
Leatherman

Janet,

Those silver things allow you to manually open and close the two slides. In the event of power failure you will have to use those pieces with a cordless drill and close the slides. I have never had to do it. Your CW rep that did the PDI should have reviewed that with you.

Yes, there is room under the slide to sit. Not a huge amount but more than enough for us two. The slide out takes up a good bit of space which turns some people off with that floor plan.

The awning does hold water. When I leave camp for the day I will usually bend one leg of the awning to it will drain water. It will work automatically but it takes a lot of weight. Instead of doing that I just bend it before we leave.

We have a routine when we leave the campsite for the day. One of those is to adjust the awning and another one is to turn off the water at the spigot.

My "gutter" was also pieced. I put in some caulk and it sealed it up. No more leaks.

As far as the roof, my warranty statement from keystone says that if a ladder is not installed from the factory, it is not a full walk-on roof.

No issues with ground clearance. It is a bit low but it's higher than my previous trailer. Biggest concern is the tank valves. Just need to be careful.

We had the truck before the trailer. Knowing we will probably only have this trailer until my 2nd retirement, which is now only 6.5 years, we purchased the truck for our next trailer beyond that. I did not want to mess with it again. We will end up with a 5th wheel and I purchased the 2500 for that future purchase. It sounds like your truck will serve you well with this. Our previous TV was a Nissan Titan. Although capable for the last trailer, it would not have been so much for this Keystone.

I did do a handful of mods to my trailer. Do a search here and you will find the thread.

LMK if you have any other questions.

Glad to help.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
Just chillin

Congratulations on your new toy Miss Janet. I’m sure you will enjoy many years with it. Something you might keep an eye on is the slide out gearboxes above your slides. Keystone had an issue with the gearbox leaking oil onto the top of the slide and causing a reaction with the roof material. Their fix was to put a drip pan underneath the gearbox. Hopefully yours has this already. Maybe they have the problem fixed already. Either way I would certainly watch for any oil running down the side of the gearbox.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #11
Northofu1

Love my opposing slides, so far. I have had it one season.
I am very happy with the way it tows and tracks.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #12
KeithInUpstateNY

My only complaints about my Bullet 21RB with opposing slides were I couldn't get to anything but the bathroom (including the stove, sink and refrigerator) when traveling. The refrigerator was in the slide so the top vent was in the wall instead of the roof which meant the fan ran A LOT which used a lot of battery when I was boondocking (5 months of the year the two summers I had it). The extra breakdown time to clean the roofs of the slides before retracting them. And the extra cost and battery power to heat the camper in cold weather. Basically, you have three inch gaps around each side with just the rubber seals. That adds up to about nine square feet of wall with NO insulation for two slides.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #13
Janet794

Now I do remember the walk through mentioning the manual slide tool, but forgot when I found it. LOL. Thanks!!!!
Old 02-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #14
pdaniel

One additional item I would add if you have cable operated slides is a BAL repair kit. The kit contains replacement cable and hardware needed. You will need a wire rope cutter and swaging tool.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #15
WNY Bullet

We have the 26RBPR and love it! The opposing slides gives us so much room once opened. And our only complaint is the same as compeakw's, "with the slides in, we can't get to the refrigerator or bathroom". Also watch the slide under your awning, the corner of our slide punctured a small hole in the awning prior to us buying it. I have since installed roller ball's, like those for the screen door, on the slide corners to protect our awning from further damage.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #16
Maxpowers

Quote:
2019 bullet 265. Our small slide because it doesn’t slide as far as other slides The gaskets do not invert properly by the time the slide is fully extended so we use a bone tool or our fingers to properly orientate the slide or voids would be present most commonly where the vertical and the horizontal gaskets meet. Our AC was loose and the AC/roof assembly was leaking water from outside when we got it home first week. Also there is a small boot that is on the cable for the slide and it is glued to the gasket, on one of those penetrations the boot had to come off and needed to be re-glued into place. I expect this will happen again elsewhere. The fan overhead of the stove does not exhaust to the outside of the trailer so it’s for odour control and looks only.

Additionally the awning over small slide rubs of the sharp corner of the slide when we lower the one end of awning for water runoff. I thought about a pool noodle to protect but it will still stress the fabric awning. I’m hoping to only lower the other corner of awning when required and I’m going to add a rope hanging down into bucket to attempt to get water to run down rope into bucket like a water chain instead of flooding the ground and making so much noise our fire bucket is metal.

Our fridge will not run on shore power unless it’s started first on propane. I figured this out by fooling with it. Otherwise it doesn’t work at all. We took it back to dealer to repair but they said it was fine. As soon as we got home and plugged in it failed again. I started on propane then switched to auto and it worked fine on 120v.

To be honest what I have learned in 6 short weeks is there is a lot of deficiencies and bugs in our unit for whatever reason. Now I realize that I am just going to have to fix things myself one at a time as they come because running it back-and-forth to the dealer to try to get warranty work done is not practical and It is what it is. For what I PAID my expectations are too high and these units could be built much better than they are However not for the current price apparently. Who’s fault is that? I dunno? I think we just need to upgrade and repair these things as they come and try to enjoy your time doing it and remind ourselves that the memories that we create well Camping, especially in the Great White North, completely offset the negative. My glass has to be half full or I would go crazy.

Another thing I learned is this place is full of really nice folks that have a ton of experience and great ideas. Best thing you did for your new purchase was joining here and tapping into this network. I wish I had Pre purchase.
Maxpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
dcount

Hi Janet794, We have a 2017 Premier 29RKPR, shares many components with yours, ours has one slide. We pull it with a F150, no problems, but I did add air assist springs to the rear axle. We have really enjoyed ours so far. We did have the bedroom A/C repaired under warranty. You will have to pull one side of the awning down, or water will not drain properly. We just do it automatically when we set up. We did add a Fan-Tastic vent fan in the kitchen, as the stove fan does not vent outside. We would highly recommend having slide toppers installed! Also, our radio station reception was very poor, I pulled the receiver out and found the antenna wire in a bundle with a rubber band around it, pulled it out and ran it up the side of the entertainment center and it works much better. No problems with clearance, ours sits higher than our friends with 15" wheels. Do develop a set up and tear down checklist, it speeds things up and helps us make sure we do not forget the important stuff.

Also, do check the tire pressure before any trip, and also the lug nut torque, we found a couple loose after our first 2 trips. A new mattress was a given, and we added a lift kit to the storage under the bed. It also took us a while to figure out that the oven does not light via a knob, you must light the pilot manually each time the gas is cut on for a trip. We did upgrade the shower and sink fixtures, and installed a stainless sink ($50 on Amazon), but that was just our preference.

Hope you have fun and enjoy your new camper!
dcount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #18
Larrystegall

Thanks Leathernan! I added the two flexible extensions to my drill kit when I found them. Never told about them in my walk through and found nothing in the manual. 2017 Cougar 359MBI. Since there were two, I assume “walking” the slide side to side is needed? I only carry one drill.
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #19
markjamestx

We have a 31BKPR and really don't have any major complaints. CW Service department is a bear but has gotten much better after a few negative reviews on their website. The sales group was great and willing to deal hard to get the sale. I personally do not like the slide on the entry door slide for the only reason it greatly reduces the area beneath the awning. One other is the living room Television had no way of hooking up a portable satellite, just cable. Had to install another outside connection, and run a coax to the TV. Easy to switch over.

A few suggestions though, on your opposite side slide install an slide-out awning over it if you don't have one. Our master bed is up front and I installed some 30" deep drawers at each side beneath the closets. Works great. Also, installed two large drawers beneath the bed that pulls out towards the bath. Added some shelves in the bath linen closet. Did this easily because I build cabinets in my retirement, when we are not on the road. 17k miles last year and about 13k scheduled this year. We leave in two weeks and can't wait. Overall, my opinion for what it is worth is the Bullet is a great trailer, great floor plan and built well especially considering the price tag. Our last one was a 21 ft FR MicroLite, and built a bit better cabinetry wise but nothing else.
2021 GMC SIERRA SLT 2500 HD

markjamestx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #20
Leatherman

With my 24RKPR I can get to the bathroom (via the bedroom) but not the fridge. I figured that bath is the more important of the two We normally carry a small cooler in the truck for drinks anyway.