Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
HeadShed

2019 Cougar Halfton Series

We are making the change and leap to full time. Just purchased a 2019 Cougar 29RLD and going to prep it with 1600 watts of solar and batteries and build in a mobile office set up. We are IT people. Gunna work from the road. The goal is to boondock as much as possible. Looks like the black tank will be the limiting factor for us. Installing an auxiliary water tank under the rv to bring up the capacity to at least an even 100 gal fresh along with a 0.55 gph shower head. Depending on depth of wood working will add in a kitchen island on wheels, and dishwasher unit. Lots planned. Everything has been budgeted. We are parked on the family farm while doing the upgrades with a exodus date mid August.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7112.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	20004
Old 01-24-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Congrats!!! Big change in store for you. Hope it works out, wish you all the best!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

As you make all those "mods" to substantially increase the weight of the trailer make sure that the trailer frame, tires, suspension, wheels and your TV can carry all of the stuff you are adding to the trailer. Most trailers are built to a bare minimum for weight and most new RVrs try to get by with the smallest tow vehicle they "think" they can get by with...which is usually not suited for the load.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #4
HeadShed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As you make all those "mods" to substantially increase the weight of the trailer make sure that the trailer frame, tires, suspension, wheels and your TV can carry all of the stuff you are adding to the trailer. Most trailers are built to a bare minimum for weight and most new RVrs try to get by with the smallest tow vehicle they "think" they can get by with...which is usually not suited for the load.

We are aware of the rv payload and we are monitoring everything we bring in or on. Ample weight room for all the planned modifications.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:26 AM   #5
14george

Welcome to the fourm from Wv congrats good luck and happy camping
Old 01-25-2019, 03:12 AM   #6
DocP

Congratulations and good luck with your new adventures! I really like the fit and finish of my Cougar half-ton.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:11 AM   #7
notanlines

HeadShed, if I might make a suggestion. When working on your dishwasher idea, rather than a residential unit with all the weight and massive water usage, take a look at a Fisher & Paykel built-in made for RV's. It is top of the line and usage is closer to 2-3 gallons maximum.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:46 AM   #8
Chris P

Welcome to the forum from New Jersey, congratulations on your New camper, good luck with those modifications, send pics and keep us posted.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #9
Northofu1

from Toronto

Sounds awesome, if your black tank becomes too much of a factor and the priorities are being addressed. Take a look at the link I have pasted. It's an interesting watch and might be suitable for your boondocking. Enjoy your trailer and your time here

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #10
HeadShed

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
HeadShed, if I might make a suggestion. When working on your dishwasher idea, rather than a residential unit with all the weight and massive water usage, take a look at a Fisher & Paykel built-in made for RV's. It is top of the line and usage is closer to 2-3 gallons maximum.

We definitely were not going to consider a residential. I’ve seen a few 18” ones and those look promising but haven’t researched any brands or specs. Thanks for the brand recommendation. We will certainly look them up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
from Toronto

Sounds awesome, if your black tank becomes too much of a factor and the priorities are being addressed. Take a look at the link I have pasted. It's an interesting watch and might be suitable for your boondocking. Enjoy your trailer and your time here

Thanks for the recommend. While it would eliminate it, a composting toilet isn’t our thing
Old 01-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #11
HeadShed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
Welcome to the forum from New Jersey, congratulations on your New camper, good luck with those modifications, send pics and keep us posted.

Sure will. I’ll post here unless there is a designated area on the board for trailer builds
Old 01-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #12
TDLyver

Congrats on the new trailer and new life ahead!
We have that same trailer and love it so far!

Curious to follow your build! Good luck!
Previous 1982 23' Wilderness (w/Bunks)
TDLyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
That dishwasher is in our 5er & it is fantastic, quiet, does at great job!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #14
WJQ

I presume you are going to install an inverter to get 120 V-AC. I would be interested in your final circuit diagram and what AC circuits you isolate/convert to the inverter. You will have or maybe have already addressed issues I am looking at.

I am planning on installing a 280 W solar system and inverter this spring (if it ever arrives in northern Utah). I have a 2018 Cougar Half Ton. I know I have to remove some of the 120 V loads from the factory power center and incorporate these loads into a new subpanel. I have developed an Excel model to calculate the DC and AC estimated loads to assess my battery drain and needed solar recovery.

I would be happy to share the Excel model if there is a way to send the model email or via this forum.

Can anyone tell me how to contact another member via email or via this forum?

If any of the forum members have added a solar system and inverter circuit, I would like to contact them. I have questions about where to find a small subpanel, where to locate the second subpanel (hopefully near the existing load center) and then the best routing for the inverter output to get back to the load center and subpanel.

I can usually do every task right the second time but with others experience, maybe I can get it right the first time. Thanks for any suggestions.
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #15
wildbill13

Nice rig. We really enjoyed our Cougar 1/2 ton for 4 years ‘13-‘17 before having to sell before deployment.

Really nothing to complain about. We could get 4 days out of our black tank (wife and 5 & 6 yr olds) with conservative ****ting and my preaching “3 seconds for pee 5 seconds for poo, and ONLY 3 SQUARES!!”

Good luck.
-Bill
wildbill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #16
yesiamapirate

Congrats on your new Cougar. We just bought a 2019 27SAB yesterday! Now I can't wait until camping season here in MI.
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #17
WestCoastWanderer

Welcome from CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
Congratulations and good luck with your new adventures! I really like the fit and finish of my Cougar half-ton.
Amen to that! I love the our 2018 Cougar 21RBS. Just what the doctor ordered. Have fun with the mods, and thanks for keeping the forum updated.
WestCoastWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #18
Easton091

Congrats...29 BHS here

Tags
cougar