Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
Frank G

Axle Bearings

There has been a lot of chatter recently about replacing the tapered wheel bearing sets as provided with the Timken brand. My question is why? I read this forum a lot and cannot recall any failures except lack of lubrication failures.
I'm a manufacturing person and support all the USA manufacturing I can. Timken, like most other US Manufactures has facilities around the world and those new Timken bearings and cups may very well be coming from China.

Again, why replace perfectly good bearings? If they are showing signs of failure then yes, replace and Timken is a good choice. In my humble life experiences bearings fail over time, yearly inspections will pick out those bearings nearing the end of life. Timken has numerus publications on bearing life and maintenance.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
bobbecky

Several years ago, I had fully inspected and repacked the Chinese bearings that came on the Dexter axles on our rig. The bearings looked like they had on all the previous years doing the same thing. Less than three months later had an outer bearing fail, and fortunately did not lose the wheel, but came close. Luckily, had tools and complete new set of bearings and races on board. After a couple hours, was back on the road. The bearing that failed was still fully greased, so the failure was purely a mechanical failure. When it came time for the annual inspection/bearing repack, I installed new Timken bearings, but any quality bearing would have been fine, but I was not going to replace them with new Chinese bearings. Just like many mechanical parts, there are different grades, and this is the same with bearings, so I made sure I used the best available, as the Chinese bearings are an unknown brand and the ratings are also unknown.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
ChuckS

My wheel bearings and races are stock factory. Starting my sixth season of use.. Axles are 7K Dexter with EZ lube.. and I’ve never used the EZ lube feature.

Cleaned, inspected every year in spring and I use a small magnifying glass to look at the bearings with..I’ve not seen any evedience or reason to replace the bearings/races.. I do carry one spare set on board with tool for the job

My Alpine is probably rocking around 13K most of the time and tow speeds are never over 62..

When the time comes that I feel I need to replace a wheel bearing then all will be replaced with Timken...since it’s an old trusted name..where’s it built at..who knows..

I tow typically under 5K miles yearly so my particular use is quite different from many others...

Individual use of equipment..how it’s mantaned, towing speed, weight, and even general operating area ( hot climate or cold climate ) would all play into the overall stress and wear and tear on those axles...

I suppose the safe bet it to just replace stock Dexter or Lippert axles bearings with Timken... then again it’s up the the owner, their expertise level regarding doing the job, etc...

You’ll get a 100 opinions at least .. this ones mine...I’m old and been working on mechanical stuff for decades and “old school” is just me..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
My wheel bearings and races are stock factory. Starting my sixth season of use.. Axles are 7K Dexter with EZ lube.. and I’ve never used the EZ lube feature.

Cleaned, inspected every year in spring and I use a small magnifying glass to look at the bearings with..I’ve not seen any evedience or reason to replace the bearings/races.. I do carry one spare set on board with tool for the job

My Alpine is probably rocking around 13K most of the time and tow speeds are never over 62..

When the time comes that I feel I need to replace a wheel bearing then all will be replaced with Timken...since it’s an old trusted name..where’s it built at..who knows..

I tow typically under 5K miles yearly so my particular use is quite different from many others...

Individual use of equipment..how it’s mantaned, towing speed, weight, and even general operating area ( hot climate or cold climate ) would all play into the overall stress and wear and tear on those axles...

I suppose the safe bet it to just replace stock Dexter or Lippert axles bearings with Timken... then again it’s up the the owner, their expertise level regarding doing the job, etc...

You’ll get a 100 opinions at least .. this ones mine...I’m old and been working on mechanical stuff for decades and “old school” is just me..
Wow!
In reading your post it's as if I had written it, same thoughts/ideas.
The difference was since fulltiming mine had about 10k per year so packed every fall & after 6 years still had the factory bearings that looked to be as good as the last year.
Mentioning the EZ lube feature, I would never use it. If you are 110% confident the seals are in perfect condition, only a couple pumps if you just have to & if it's ever used be sure to tear it down when possible & inspect that the brakes aren't covered in grease due to seal failure. Just my opinion from past experiences.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Frank G

This is the kind of responses I was looking for, both pro and con and the reasoning. Really, I thought some would like to chat about something other than tires and weight.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle