Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #1
verriterri

Refrigerator doors open with slide in?

Hi all. We just purchased a 2018 Keystone Avalanche 365MB on Friday and took her out for a maiden voyage this weekend. Everything works great and there were only 3 VERY MINOR issues. We are extremely pleased with our purchase!

We moved her into the storage lot yesterday afternoon and we forgot to open the refrigerator doors since we turned off the gas to the fridge. My question is with this particular floor plan, how in the world can you have the fridge doors open with the slideouts in?

https://www.campersinn.com/product/n...365mb-843887-5 (second pic shows floorplan)

My last RV only had one slide and it wasn't anywhere near the refrigerator, so I was just curious what others do in this situation. We plan to go by the storage lot this evening to pull her out of her parking space to push the slide out, open the refrigerator, then retract the slides, but DH thinks that it won't accommodate the slides being in with the doors open. I tend to agree with him. It may be because we didn't think about this before retracting the slides that it seems there isn't enough room to leave the doors open with the slides in. You can't walk to the area to even see really when the slides are in. But looking at the floorplan we may be able to prop open the right doors.

Anyway, I hope my question is clear and someone can provide some sage advice and maybe even from someone with the same floor plan.

Thanks!
Terri
verriterri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

When we close our slide our fridge will not open due to the island. When we return from a trip we thoroughly clean the fridge and open the doors for 2-3 days to let it completely dry. We then place multiple boxes of baking soda in the fridge and freezer then close it up. We've never had any issues. The caveat may be that we live in a semi desert area (W TX) so humidity is not an issue for us. I wouldn't think that would have any bearing on a closed fridge though.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
ChuckS

My Fridge came with a small plastic slid clip that you slide in the middle of the doors and doors close and latch but there is a small gap letting airflow thru. Mine is also like yours with an island and with slides closed can’t access fridge.

Maybe yours came with something to hold doors open slightly.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
rhagfo

Door don’t need to be wide open just enough for air flow. We would simply place a folded towel over the top of each door, ever any smell or mold.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Door don’t need to be wide open just enough for air flow. We would simply place a folded towel over the top of each door, ever any smell or mold.

You are exactly right!! After making my previous post my wife informed me that she always placed a wash cloth or dish towel in the doors to keep them open just a bit. Sorry OP - should have asked "she that rules the roost" first!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
Frank G

With your floor plan can you open the right side door with the slide in? The freezer doors are above the island, so they will open at any time. This looks to be a corrected floor plan as our double door refrigerator jams tight up against the island. We have to put a towel between the refer and the drawer hardware to prevent scratching the refrigerator.

You only have to have one of the refrigerator and freezer doors open or partially open.

Congratulations on your new unit, Enjoy.

From Amazon get a externally mounted thermometer for the refrigerator and freezer. The 18cu ft Norcold you have, installed in the slide, can be a marginal performer in hot weather. It is 86 F this afternoon and you see the results. It is in full sun. In the morning it will be 35 and 14. Last month it was 32 and 10 Set on 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refer.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	20379  
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
ADQ K9

Our refrigerator is blocked by the slide wall when the slide is in but it came with tabs to prop the doors open. The only issue is that when the doors are proped open they may open all the way against the slide so one has to check before opening the slide.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide