Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Jeremy888

More Electrical Confusion / Poop Mt.

I read with interest Skins44 "Electrical Confusion " We are snowbirds and live in our RV (2017 Montana 3950BR 5th Wheel) from October 1 to March 1 annually. Therefore the RV is stored for 7 months every year .Unfortunately there is no power available where it is stored. This RV has a "battery disconnect switch " that the previous owner told me completely shuts off all power to the unit . Last year being the first year to store it ,i only disconnected the battery by pulling this key . Nothing in Owners Manual. Here are my questions.

1. Is this sufficient for storage or should I physically disconnect the batteries?

2. Since the RV 12V should run on the converter only, with no battery in the RV ,as you Techs have stated, will mine run, 12 V with the battery physically connected and the " battery disconnect switch " disconnected ? I have not tried this and won't if I can damage my unit . Advice please. This could be a scenario when a need arises to replace batteries.

The reason I ask #2 is that a camping neighbor (in a small class c )was plugged in to 30 AMP and they disconnected their " battery disconnect switch " and no 12 volt power was available. I was under the same false impression that the battery had to be in line for 12 volt DC to work .

3. This RV is wired for Solar , any suggestions on using solar to keep system charging in absence of shore power?

4. The Previous owner left me a poop mountain in the black tank . I have been using Riddex to break it down . Being from the boon docks we never put toilet paper down either our home toilets (septic tank) or in our RV's . Yet now in our second winter tenure I am still getting lots of toilet paper out . The tank level indicators always read full ,making me think there is toilet paper stuck to the sensors. Last year before leaving it stored in Mar. I filled the tank completely, pouring in a bottle of tank stuff ,(not riddex) that claimed it desolves toilet paper . I did get some toilet paper out when I came back in Oct. but not as much as I have with riddex once a week . I am afraid of using riddex for 7 months because I don't know if the tank is vented. Nothing in useless Owners Manual as usual. Occasionally when flushing I will notice slight pressure buildup when a bubble of air plops the standing water up in the toilet on flushing.... making me think "no venting " . I dont want to leave the toilet cracked open for 7 months making my RV smell like an outhouse. So unless someone has a better idea I' m leaning on draining the tank and starting the battle afresh in Oct. I have tried driving around with the tank half full to help lossen up the mountain . I have not tried ice cubes during this process.. Any help will be appreciated.

5 . Any other tips for 7 month storage ? , freezing not an issue in San Diego .

Thanks Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190216-095206.png
Views:	168
Size:	710.9 KB
ID:	20346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190216-095528.png
Views:	134
Size:	881.4 KB
ID:	20347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190216-100427.png
Views:	153
Size:	771.8 KB
ID:	20348  
Jeremy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
notanlines

Your red battery cut-off will only cut off about 80% of what is necessary for long term storage. The only way is to disconnect a ground cable from the battery. Maybe it would be best to bring your battery in the garage and leave on a trickle charger/battery tender until next season.
The ice cube trick is little more than an old wife's tale. A small amount of success, yes, but your poo pyramid will require due diligence with your tank rinse, and any number of fresh water, high pressure sources you put down your commode. Don't buy into the chemicals eating up the unmentionables lurking in the tank. Ain't gonna happen in your case. I can't help with your vent. The tank is vented. They all are. But that doesn't mean that the vent tube doesn't come down too far in the tank, just as an example.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
Frank G

First Thing, the Battery. You need a completely charged functionable battery to operate the slides and leveling system. With that in mind take the battery out, take it home with you and attach a QUALITY battery maintainer on it. Have it tested before you return in the fall. You should always have a good battery attached to the RV electrical system for many reasons. When closed up and in storage the last sentence does not apply.

Second, All plumbing systems on a RV are vented. Look topside for the vents and make sure they are not plugged. I and many others will STOP using a RV if we cannot dispose of tissue down the potty. We use Angel Soft, there are many others that work. We empty every 4 days and use the tank flush system. I suspect the last user of your unit left the black tank valve open and created the poo mountain. Also make sure the black tank valve closes completely.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
drdarrin

The only thing that will get rid of the poop pile is water, lots and lots of water. The higher velocity water, the better. I’ve found leaving the drain valve open and using a 3-5 gallon bucket of water poured straight down the drain or a garden hose directed straight down the drain will break up the pile. It might take some time but it will work. Just my $0.02
drdarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
Steveo57

Jeremy the 12 volt system should work just fine off of the converter with the battery removed and the disconnect switch off.

The disconnect switch does not remove all loads from the battery. You may still have some small parasitic drain on the battery. Best to remove the cable at the battery or put a switch in right at the battery to completely disconnect it for long term storage.

Attached is a drawing of what my DC system looks like in my trailer. Yours is probably similar.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer DC.pdf (107.2 KB, 179 views)
Old 02-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
travelin texans

If you have any hope of the RidX doing any good it would have to be left in the tank during that 7 months of storage, it will do absolutely nothing in a matter of a week or 2. As mentioned the only sure way to remove the pyramid is with water pressure down the toilet & will take several attempts.
Also as mentioned, if we can't flush tp down the toilet, which is where it's designed to go, I sure ain't storing used paper in a container to toss later, no way, no how, I'll get rid of the rv & sell the house before that happens!! With proper care, lots of water you should have no issues flushing paper in a septic system or rv black tank.
If I understand correctly your lights will work on the convertor with no battery, but the slides/jacks will not without a fully charged battery. Plus unless the previous owner has rewired the factory disconnect it does not completely disconnect all 12 volt draw, disconnecting the ground cable is the only sure way.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
Jeremy888

Thanks to all who responded. Re notanlines and travelin texans RidX .is not a chemical ,it is
natural bacterias and enzymes. It works quite well in weekly doses...

2. HOW SOON DOES RID-X® BEGIN WORK?
The enzymes in RID-X® begin working as soon as they come in contact with water. The bacteria take 2-4 hours to germinate and then begin to break down solid waste. If the temperature and conditions are favorable, then the bacteria will multiply to the maximum level that the environment will allow in about 2-4 days. Since septic systems vary, the speed at which the bacteria and enzymes break down waste varies.

I will take batteries out take them home and stick them on the trickle maintainer. Thanks to all for pointing me this way . Also several of you suggested pressurized water directly down the toilet, I will try this too
Old 02-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy888 View Post
Thanks to all who responded. Re notanlines and travelin texans RidX .is not a chemical ,it is
natural bacterias and enzymes. It works quite well in weekly doses...(in septic systems where it's allowed to remain, bacteria reproduce and increase in numbers. It takes 2-4 days to reach "maximum level" and most RV black tanks are drained every 2-3 days..... Doing the math, works in home based septic systems, not so much in RV tanks)

2. HOW SOON DOES RID-X® BEGIN WORK?
The enzymes in RID-X® begin working as soon as they come in contact with water. The bacteria take 2-4 hours to germinate and then begin to break down solid waste. (Bacteria are microscopic organisms, they can't break down large bits of solid waste, but digest it in microscopic bits. It takes weeks/months of bacterial action to break down a half inch of "poo pile". It is ineffective when you're dumping the black tank and starting over every 48-72 hours) If the temperature and conditions are favorable, then the bacteria will multiply to the maximum level that the environment will allow in about 2-4 days. Since septic systems (not RV black tanks) vary, the speed at which the bacteria and enzymes break down waste varies.

I will take batteries out take them home and stick them on the trickle maintainer. Thanks to all for pointing me this way . Also several of you suggested pressurized water directly down the toilet, I will try this too

I took the liberty to post (in red) into your post rather than try to separate it and rebuild the comments individually....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
Jeremy888

OK JRTJH I see your point ,but your math is based on a 2-3 day dump cycle, I dump every 7 days and having put zero paper in the tank , I'm still ,after 4+ months of RidX every 7 days ,getting toilet paper out. You can't argue with results. I will agree that the microscopic bacteria eat microscopic bites but they start working in 2-4 hours, and are at full potential in 2-4 days so that's 3 to 5 days eating up the mountain . Piranha ! So if they only eat 1/16 -1/8 of an inch in that week and loosen the amount of paper coming out ,im winning the battle ,albeit slowly. Its also possibe that the mountain has caves ,canyons and cracks allowing some inside erosion and this is contributory to the paper mining success . Whether a septic tank or a black tank doesn' t matter.....
same enviornment . Using chemicals was inneffective ...Can't argue with results. I appreciate your sceintific input . My wife says Im spending too much time talking about $..t ! Peace !
Old 02-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
travelin texans

I'm sure whose ever septic tank you're dumping all the weekly doses of RidX really appreciates it. In my opinion if the time you're spending dosing with RidX was with a hose into the toilet your pyramid would probably be gone, not to mention the waste of the price of RidX.
As far as getting tp out with every dump, I don't have the pyramid issue & I could rinse/flush the black tank for several hours & still get tp/solids, travel all day & drain again & still get stuff. It's a big rectangular tank with corners/slopes for stuff to gather in so you will never get it all out whether you put paper into it or not.
But it's your rv, by all means if you're confident the RidX is the solution, keep it up.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
notanlines

Yep, what TT said. Don’t put any tp in thst tank if that’s the key that yurns uour lock. We have a member here whose family saves it and uses it to light camp fires. I can’t make this crap up!
Dear God, give me strength....
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
Jeremy888

LoL , now that is extreme ,saving it for fire . Notanlines you are correct" cant make this crap up" And TT you are probably exactly right about the tp being everywhere in this tank . I envision that it is plastered and set up in crap concrete all over the tank walls and on the monitor sensors keeping them wet. When I asked the previous owner why the monitor said the tank was full when he told me it was empty. .." Oh well...you know... those things never work. " Unfortunately my toilet has a curved sewage pipe into the tank ,preventing me from sticking my flushing rod down there. I am going to try and make a device that will spray water in all directions to snake down there. Anyone know of such a device already made? In the meantime I'll stick a hose down there with high pressure Thanks for all the comebacks .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190217-132706.png
Views:	128
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	20360  
Old 02-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #13
66joej

I would suggest you not use water pressure over 50#. There are posts on here where members have split the black tank while attempting to remedy the same problem you are facing. Apparently it was not an easy cleanup.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #14
Jeremy888

Thanks 66JoeJ, I dont plan on having the the drain valve shut , but i will keep it in mind so i don't forget to open it .Thank you
Old 02-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #15
Andymil

Have you tried the “geo method” in your black tank?
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #16
Jeremy888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymil View Post
Have you tried the “geo method” in your black tank?
No , what is geo merthod?. I did stick a hose directly down the toilet and i got a lot of plugs out .big plugs ... Also I stuck a hose down the vent and managed to unlpug it .Now the flush bubble is gone along with the blast of sewage smell that came along with it . ,Still remaining is the monitors covered with paper or poop that shows tank perpetually full. I have purchased the Camco swivel stick and will try it next dump.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190217-132706.png
Views:	99
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	20445  
Old 02-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #17
BadmanRick

As far as the battery goes, remove the battery and trickle charge it at home.
As far as the Black water tank and Poop �� pile. Get a high pressure wand or better yet a pressure washer with an angled and a rotary sprayer head. That is the best way to clean the tank.
As far as the tank sensors I changed mine to the Valterra T21301VP Horst Miracle Probe - Black Water Tanks, Pack of 4. From Amazon.com. I also changed my gray water and fresh water sensors TANK PROBE,GRAY WATER, C by Horst Dynamic now Owned by Valterra. Have not had any problem since changing out sensors.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:40 PM   #18
Local150

I use to and no problems,, with black tank, occasionally I will have to refill black tank with water then drain and all is good,, I live in a rural area and have a septic tank, untouched for 23 years,, generally it's not tp causing problems, ,, laundry soap is among the worst. Pardon me ,, but if you dont use tp in your septic ,, well let's just say I have never heard of that
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #19
FlyingAroundRV

Something else to try for the TP on the sensors issue:
After you dump the tank and before you set off on the road, put two bags of crushed ice and a bucket or two of water down the toilet. Leave that in the tank for the duration of the trip to the next CG.
The ice acts a bit like a scrubbing brush inside the tank. I tried this a couple of times last year, then dumped the tank before we set up. It did bring out some extra "particles".
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #20
Andymil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy888 View Post
No , what is geo merthod?. I did stick a hose directly down the toilet and i got a lot of plugs out .big plugs ... Also I stuck a hose down the vent and managed to unlpug it .Now the flush bubble is gone along with the blast of sewage smell that came along with it . ,Still remaining is the monitors covered with paper or poop that shows tank perpetually full. I have purchased the Camco swivel stick and will try it next dump.
The easiest thing to tell you is Google “geo method for rv black tank”.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical