Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #1
rogermack50

Question about being on 30 Amps instead of usual 50Amps

Hi Everyone,
I hope I'm not over using my welcome here as this is my 3rd Thread in a week.
OK, I have a new 2019 Keystone Avalanche 36' 5th Wheel...literally a Condo on Wheels. I have the opportunity for a Seasonal on a much desired RV spot on Cape Cod next summer but it is a 30 Amp spot...a 50 Amp is, wait for it, $1500 more for the Season Apr - Oct...it is very expensive, I did say it was on the Cape..and I want to be sure that I can have a fun filled summer with grand-kids etc without blowing fuses left and right etc..the New Avalanches's have 2 Air Cond, Full Fridge, 50" entertainment center...I am figuring the only problem might be 2 airs, but it is the Cape, known for open breezes and cooler than Eastern Massachusetts and the Air in the bedroom is never really used at nite...too loud to sleep with it on...So just wondering what i might be missing, if it is workable, or head to Maine where it is at least 1/2 price etc...Note: My wife spent all her summers in Masspee down the cape so she is excited about it...So walking away without a solid reason is not going to fly well...LOL
Thank You..
Mac
rogermack50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Javi

On 30 amps you will need to watch the draw, 1 a/c, turn the a/c off if you want to use the microwave or a hair dryer... Run the HW heater on propane... etc.… but it is doable for sure... not sure I'd want to spend the summer that way though..
Old 09-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
DocP

My opinion is to "go for it". I park my Cougar 32RLI on a seasonal lot that only has 30 AMP service because the cost difference between lot rental and storage is small enough to justify it. I understand that I cannot run both air conditioners, and that I have to monitor the electricity usage carefully (e.g., cannot use both microwave and my wife's hair dryer at the same time). You learn how to do it. Worst case scenario, you turn off one of the appliances and reset the tripped breaker.

Another thing I did, which some campgrounds won't let you get away with, is to add a 15 amp plug to the outside of the camper, and ran a dedicated outlet to my kitchen counter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I can then run a heavy duty extension cord to the separate outlet on the power pedestal and run some of the appliances that consume a lot of energy when power demand is high (e.g., coffeemaker, portable induction cooktop, etc.).
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
rogermack50

Thanks Michael,
It looks like you lose quite a bit with a 30 Amp...I don't want to get into any side resolutions because i wont be there all the time to rectify any problems my daughter might have with the 3 and 5 year old girls...and I have No Voice, so no one can call me to help with situations. I guess I should learn what the high electrical appliances, things are in the RV...otherwise, safer to cancel the Cape...If you saw RV with Robin Williams that has been my RV experience so far....
Old 09-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
bobbecky

We've had to stay at 30 amp sites quite a bit over the years and it really is easy to adapt. You run the fridge and water heater on gas only. Like was already said, you have to be aware of what appliances you are using. A/C on, don't use the microwave or hair dryer, toaster, or anything else that draws a lot of juice. Most of these things are morning loads, so you probably won't have the A/C on then anyway. You will get used to it and will enjoy the location. Before getting our rig we are in now, we spent a month in a 25 foot 5er, crossing the deserts of California, Arizona, and New Mexico on the way to Odessa, TX in June and July, and only had 30 amps, and survived quite well. It's doable.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Eastham

seasonal on cape cod are hard to come by.we are on the cape with 30 amp and have really had no trouble with 30 amp.You live with it and after awhile you won't even think about it.have been on 30 amp for over 25 yrs seasonally and the beaches are beautiful. What campground with April through oct?
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
Ksupaul

No issues with 30 amp. I have run everything with the AC. Just not anything with the AC plus something else. Honestly in about 5 stays on 30 amp, I trip it once with AC, crock pot, and a hair dryer. At least I think those were the three. We run AC and microwave all the time on 30.

~edit: DW said it wasn’t AC and Crockpot and hairdryer. It was AC and electric indoor griddle. Those things do pull tons. Forgot that.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:28 AM   #8
SummitPond

Recognize 30 amp is just that (30 amps) while a 50 amp circuit is really 100 amps (two 50 amp circuits) - so yes, the difference in the ability to operate your appliances/equipment at the same time is drastic. Careful management is required for a 30 amp rig. We only have 30 amps, so the AC and microwave can't be used at the same time. Ditto for the toaster and coffee maker (and other high current draw equipment must be off). Hot water is also a concern if you wish to use electricity rather than gas. We rely on the Progressive Industries EMS display to determine current draw of the various appliances.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:49 AM   #9
WNY Bullet

We are 30amp and the only problem we have had was with the DW's hair dryer. She just needs to turn off the AC while using it and all is fine.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:45 AM   #10
Javi

Ya'll need to remember that the OP is not only in a 36ft 5th wheel but is running an inverter and a converter... so the household fridge/icemaker is drawing power... TV, phone/tablet chargers, vacuum charger... the list goes on.. especially with two small children..

If I had to stay on the Cape, I'd pay the $1500 for April thru October that's $215 a month.. to not have to worry about what I could plug in or turn on..

But it ain't me... and I'm not welcome around them parts, no way..
Old 09-13-2018, 04:03 AM   #11
Eastham

Would the appliances be using amps from the 30 amp circuit if they are being run from the converter?
Old 09-13-2018, 04:12 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
Would the appliances be using amps from the 30 amp circuit if they are being run from the converter?
30 amp is feeding the converter.. but there are few 12 volt appliances in a 5th wheel..
Old 09-13-2018, 04:29 AM   #13
Eastham

The fridge is 120 the ice maker 120 if they are being run off the inverter they wount be using from the 30 amp s
Old 09-13-2018, 04:54 AM   #14
Javi

Quote:
The fridge is 120 the ice maker 120 if they are being run off the inverter they wount be using from the 30 amp s
Where does the inverter get it's power? Think about it beforehand answering..
Old 09-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #15
Eastham

Javi I am probably confused but I was thinking that the inverter gets its power from the batteries and the inverter then powers the fridge and ice maker.so the amps being used would be from the inverter not the 30 amp supply.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #16
Javi

Quote:
Javi I am probably confused but I was thinking that the inverter gets its power from the batteries and the inverter then powers the fridge and ice maker.so the amps being used would be from the inverter not the 30 amp supply.
That's correct as far as it goes, but the batteries have to be charged and that will pull from shore power through the converter. Although I think most of the residential fridges switch to 110 when connected to shore power.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #17
Snoking

Quote:
There is no free lunch with an inverter. It's source, "batteries", have to be recharged. In the case of a RV the converter is the battery charger. Wiring a second input from the 20 amp outlet to the converter is one option. A better one would be to power the main AC from that power source.

However, lets all remember the most single AC trailers have 30 amp service and have existed for years that way.

Chris
Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 AM   #18
rogermack50

Hey Javi I am a old Marine if anyone isn't welcome around these parts, it is me....adding $1500 on top of a $6400 Seasonal bill is just outrageous to me....I have my limits especially when Maine or NH is equal the distance, twice the space and the privacy that I desire. Less traffic, and just as much to see and do as the Cape... And they don't close up their pools the day after Labor Day...That really burned me when I brought the kids to the Cape on Labor Day for the week and they had a great time playing in the pool, we went the next morning and it was closed for the season...Jeez...I'm on a Fixed income and I do want my wife to be Happy but I think she'd be just as thrilled to spend a week there and the rest of the summer being Maine or NH based and having some extra money to really have fun and do things. So the 30 amp thing is the killer....for a week, yes, a whole season at that price, No...
Old 09-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #19
Snoking

This idea I guess assumes we are talking about a residential frig.

Here is a little drawing to help understand the paths. For items that consume high power, within the inverter's rating that are used for a short period can benefit from the converter/battery/inverter path. This uses the batteries as a buffer, as they will supply high levels of current for short periods. This path is less than 100% efficient, inverter may be only 90% and there are other losses in the converter charging the batteries.

However for items like the frig that have a 50 percent or higher duty cycle this does not work well. Here are the input requirements for a 80 amp converter:

Input: 105-130 VAC, 1,300 Watts
Note: Requires 20 amp rated outlet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keystone forum.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	18521  
Old 09-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #20
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
This idea I guess assumes we are talking about a residential frig.

Here is a little drawing to help understand the paths. For items that consume high power, within the inverter's rating that are used for a short period can benefit from the converter/battery/inverter path. This uses the batteries as a buffer, as they will supply high levels of current for short periods. This path is less than 100% efficient, inverter may be only 90% and there are other losses in the converter charging the batteries.

However for items like the frig that have a 50 percent or higher duty cycle this does not work well. Here are the input requirements for a 80 amp converter:

Input: 105-130 VAC, 1,300 Watts
Note: Requires 20 amp rated outlet
I had our 29' 5th wheel with a similar setup of dry camping. I had a switch on the converter input and a separate 15/20Amp AC input for my Honda eu1000i generator. I could up the micro wave and dry dryer on the Heart Freedom 10 inverter, that the eu1000i could not. Run the TV and Sat system worked great, as I could cool down and refuel the generator while the inverter continued to operate the equipment.