Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
BamaRam

Fan power?

After reading for a while about upgrading fans, I've decided i need to install a maxair in the provisions for a second AC. I'm leaving the bathroom fan as-is.

At the moment there's a vent there in the front bedroom with a light fixture about a foot away. This particular fixture is not one of the lamps that is connected to the battery powered light switch. It only works on shore power.

Wouldn't it be prudent to go further into the cabin and pick up a battery switched lamp fixture? I haven't done any boon docking yet, but it seems this would be something you need if you have neither shore power nor generator. Otherwise there's no way to move air out of the coach.

Am i wrong, right, out in left field, OCD?
Old 04-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

This light that only works on shore power, it’s a 110VAC light? Have you removed the light to verify 3 conductors of Romex? Can’t say I’ve seen an AC only powered light in any newer RV.

Anyway. If you have 2nd AC prep, then there will be 12VDC tucked in the gap along with the 110VAC Romex.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
This light that only works on shore power, it’s a 110VAC light? Have you removed the light to verify 3 conductors of Romex? Can’t say I’ve seen an AC only powered light in any newer RV.

No they're 12v lamps. I'm assuming it works solely off the convertor because it doesn't work if I'm on battery only. On battery, only some of the lights in the main part of the cabin work. I have no bedroom, bath, or bunkhouse lighting when on battery only.

Quote:
Anyway. If you have 2nd AC prep, then there will be 12VDC tucked in the gap along with the 110VAC Romex.

I hope that's the case. I pulled the blank out fixture and found only one piece of Romex going into the blank.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRam View Post
No they're 12v lamps. I'm assuming it works solely off the convertor because it doesn't work if I'm on battery only. On battery, only some of the lights in the main part of the cabin work. I have no bedroom, bath, or bunkhouse lighting when on battery only.
Well that's a new problem and I can't even see how that's possible. I'd say that's definitely not right. All the lights should work on both the battery alone or the converter when plugged in. The only thing I can think of is a problem with the circuit board in the fuse panel. Interesting!
Old 04-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Bama, why not a 2nd AC? I've never known that upgrade to do anything but be a big plus - especially if you are going to be anywhere near warm climates. Ceiling light fixture running on 110? Is it the ceiling fixture for the bedroom? Don't recall seeing one running off ac - but who knows any more.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #6
BamaRam

I’m sure none of the lights are 110v. Some only work when the converter is operating on shore power. The lights that can be operated from the control panel will operate on both converter or battery only.
Ive always assumed this was by design to conserve battery.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #7
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Bama, why not a 2nd AC?
Weight and cost vs need. I’ll be at 9-10k ft ASL most of the time.
If that changes I can move the good fan to bath and install unit 2.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:18 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I’m sure none of the lights are 110v. Some only work when the converter is operating on shore power. The lights that can be operated from the control panel will operate on both converter or battery only.
Ive always assumed this was by design to conserve battery.
Two possible "issues". First, there's something wrong with the way your trailer 12VDC wiring distribution is installed. ALL 12 volt lights that are OEM are wired to operate on either battery or converter power. There is no "separate converter DC power system" that only operates on shore power.

Second possibility, that light is wired to a switch that you haven't yet located (although that's hard to imagine knowing how you've examined and used your trailer).

Either way, or some other issue if it's present, something's not right with that light. In the past 10 years, I've never seen an OEM ceiling fixture that's 12VDC not have power from the battery system AND the converter system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:43 AM   #9
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Two possible "issues". First, there's something wrong with the way your trailer 12VDC wiring distribution is installed. ALL 12 volt lights that are OEM are wired to operate on either battery or converter power. There is no "separate converter DC power system" that only operates on shore power.

Second possibility, that light is wired to a switch that you haven't yet located (although that's hard to imagine knowing how you've examined and used your trailer).

Either way, or some other issue if it's present, something's not right with that light. In the past 10 years, I've never seen an OEM ceiling fixture that's 12VDC not have power from the battery system AND the converter system.
John

He does say that they work when plugged in so it would appear that they are wired up to something and the switch is working. The battery and converter outputs are tied together on the DC fuse panel board and there's no way they could be separate. You would have to have a separate converter hooked up to just those lights to power them. Interesting problem.

A picture of the DC fuse panel might help us understand the problem.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
John

He does say that they work when plugged in so it would appear that they are wired up to something and the switch is working. The battery and converter outputs are tied together on the DC fuse panel board and there's no way they could be separate. You would have to have a separate converter hooked up to just those lights to power them. Interesting problem.

A picture of the DC fuse panel might help us understand the problem.
Steve,

Your thoughts are the same as mine. There's no way the battery can be connected to the 12VDC buss at the same screw terminal as the converter output cable and something on the buss not work on battery and work on converter power. IE: both ends of a wire are always connected as long as the wire carries electricity from one end to the other.....

I don't know what kind of "controller system" he has mounted on the wall to control those switches/lights, but I'd suspect that there's a "BATT/SHORE" switch or capability on that panel, otherwise, it's back to "both ends of a wire are always connected".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #11
BamaRam

I am under the impression that there is circuitry in either the power panel or converter that does this trick.

It was explained to me by the dealer that it provides lighting when there’s nothing but a battery.

I added some pics so y’all can see what I’m looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73CE4797-B342-49B5-8FEE-3A0B6FF29FC7.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	21385   Click image for larger version

Name:	AB511BB2-1061-44DD-9B8E-54D817260E43.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	21386   Click image for larger version

Name:	A28EDDAA-E274-4AEF-9C06-65C13AA6962F.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	21387  
Old 04-14-2019, 07:05 AM   #12
Steveo57

Quote:
I am under the impression that there is circuitry in either the power panel or converter that does this trick.

It was explained to me by the dealer that it provides lighting when there’s nothing but a battery.

I added some pics so y’all can see what I’m looking at.
Nothing unusual there. All the lighting is supplied power through the fused circuits on your fuse panel. That fuse panel is supplied power by either the battery if you're not plugged in or by the battery and the converter if you are plugged in. There's no way to physically separate the power feed to the lights, they will either all have power or none of them will work.

That light switch on the panel probably just turns on your main area lights correct? All of the other areas will have their own wall switch or local switches on the lights themselves as in your picture. Some may be controlled by the switch on the light as well as a wall switch.

So you're saying some of the lights do not work if you are on battery power only? I'd play around with them and see if you can figure it out because something is fishy here. 😁
Old 04-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #13
BamaRam

Well, I’ve answered my question. I’m out in left field.

All the lights work with no shore power. Some of them are connected through the switch.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #14
Steveo57

Quote:
Well, I’ve answered my question. I’m out in left field.

All the lights work with no shore power. Some of them are connected through the switch.
Good to know! 😁
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	let-there-be-5af61d.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	21390  
Old 04-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #15
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Good to know! 😁
I was recollecting. Gotta be careful about that now a days.

I got confused because when I had the lights set up for storage, I had the rockers on the lamps not controlled by the main switch in the off position. They never came on when I was connected to battery so that’s the way it stuck in my mind because I never actually use the trailer without shore power.

Thanks for getting me back on center.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

OKAY!!!!!

now you can install the MaxAir fan and use the power wire going to that light for your source. There will be a solid white ( ground) and a white with a colored tracer (positive).

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #17
BamaRam

Quote:
OKAY!!!!!.
LOL. Took a minute didn’t it😆😆
Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Yeah..But you did and that's what counts

Tags
power