Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #1
Goose

Passport Fridge Vent Cover

I was cleaning my TT roof today and discovered that my current fridge vent cover was so brittle due to UV damage, the vent cracked and a small piece fell off the cover (pic attached). I’ll obviously be replacing this cover with a new one, but is it okay for it to be exposed to the elements while I buy a new one? It’s raining as I type this. Also, best place to buy these covers? TIA. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1892.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	20485

I just want to go camping.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Where your crack is located, you will get rainwater into the rear of the refrigerator compartment. If I were you, I'd put a piece of duct tape over the crack to help seal it from the elements. I'd aslo suggest not using the refrigerator on propane until the vent is replaced. It probably would NEVER cause a problem, but if the propane flame got "too hot" and the stars were aligned just right.... Well, you get the point, better safe than sorry.....

There are two size refrigerator roof vents so measure your to be sure you order the correct one. Also, there's no need to replace the roof mount if it's undamaged, just replace the top part of the vent. While you have it off, be sure to check the sealant (self leveling DICOR) to be sure it's intact. And as a last act, be sure to seal the 4 screw holes that you see in the roof vent. Those areas will fill with water and the screws will rust, so cover them with a shot of DICOR after everything is back together.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

The Florida sun will eat up anything. While you are up there check the other roof vents. I gave all exposed plastic a coating with a UV protectant (303) twice a year. Also found that smoke polycarbonite vent covers held up much longer than white plastic and never get brittle. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
Goose

Lol. Of course it poured rain after this photo was taken and I didn’t cover the hole with tape. Best way to check for water behind the fridge? Access from the panel outside, behind fridge? Thanks. I’ll order that panel now.

I just want to go camping.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, fridge, passport, vent