Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
ScottH

Brought our new rig home today

I was a bit nervous about getting this thing in our driveway. I'll post a pic, but what you can't see is that I'm standing on the curb (20' wide road) to my cul-de-sac taking the picture, so there was a double-corner to get it backed in.

Nonetheless, got it in, first try, with a good inch to spare between the trailer and the gutter on the house (I have perhaps a foot behind I can use too, but wanted the space so I could get back there).

The only issue was a little porpoising on the segmented highway, and I forgot to double-check the body heights after it was all hooked up. I suppose it's better to do that later, when loaded, anyway.

Speaking of weight distribution: I have a Reese cam-based WD hitch. The instructions suggest at least 5 chain links on the adjustment, but if it's not tight enough is it safe to run with 4? It seems the only alternative is to detach the hitch-ball assembly and give it more tilt.

First run will be a weekender on Friday :-)

Cheers!
Scott, Bonnie and Andrew
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
GaryWT

Looks good, congrats.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
pedalsteelpicker

congrats,that sure is a tight fit.I thought my Alpine was tight in my drive between my garage and wood shed but I can put all my slides out with about 6" on each side,my only problem is I have to back it in from the road and my road is moderatly busy but I'm an ex-trucker so backing isnt an issue for me just the traffic I have to stop for about a minute.I actually have markers on my drive way so I know exactly where my tires need to be so I know that I have room to open the slides before I drop the trailer.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
ScottH

Markers!

That's a great idea about the markers. I have no trouble backing, and noticed today I was looking at the seams between the 3 sections of my driveway for guidance. Simple painted or scratched marks would be better!
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
TAZ23

Wow, That sure is a tight fit. I am not sure of the reese hitch but mine says you need five links to allow the bars to have enough room to work properly without binding when turning or going up or down short rises (like entering gas stations from streets). If the dealer set it up it is always a good idea to recheck the set up per the instructions. Many dealers do not set the hitches up right and some tweaking is required to get the proper weight distribution, which will also give you a better and more comfortable ride.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
chris199

Nice rig....and truck! Tow our 29REV with. Tundra also. If you are interested in swapping out your mirrors for Toyota tow mirrors....let me know. Can give you contact info for Sparks Toyota and part numbers u can start with. I have the base model and even it was wired so the tow mirrors worked...heat, power, and side signals.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
audio1der

Nice rig!
This thread http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9341
with the included link really helped me with the confidence to set up the Reese DCSW. Based on that, I would suggest adding tilt to your hitch head to get at LEAST 5 links of chain on those trunion bars.
Reese suggests 300lb/ft of torque on the hitch head bolts, or 150 lb/ft plus 1/4 turn.

Hope this helps!
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
fla-gypsy

You can possibly gain a link by tilting the ball mount back some.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
ThePressureIsOn

I'm so jealous, first time backing in! Damn that's close! Looks great in the driveway, better in the campground. Enjoy!
ThePressureIsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
crash

Congrads.Thats one tight fit there.I have to blind side back my 42ft in my drive way and it is a busy cut thru road always that one a** that cant wait and will try going around you NO respect at all.Happy camping .
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
lightning79

Very nice trailer! What's the weight of it?