Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
Eddy

Sway controllers.

Hi all. Need some help here. I'm getting different information on how many sway controllers I need to use on my TT. I have a keystone hornet, 28ft with a husky sway controller. some are saying I should be using 2 controllers with a weight distribution hitch? Can anyone direct me to the correct information regarding this. Thx in advance. Eddy
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Eddy,

I looked through your profile, all your old posts and nowhere is there any indication of what you're using for a tow vehicle. It would be most difficult for anyone to advise you about sway control when only a part of the information on your RV is available and no information on the most important part, the tow vehicle is missing completley.

More information and you may get some sage advice

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
GaryWT

I have a combo hitch where the bars are WD and sway. The ones that I have seen with chains on the bars and a separate sway, thay have had 1 and there was only one place on the hitch to hook it up so more would be impossible. Some hitches are most likely different. I would use whatever the hitch will allow.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
fla-gypsy

For the standard friction type sway control bars it is generally recommended to be used on trailer 25' or less. Over 25' would be two friction controllers or a better integrated WD/sway system like the Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer brand hitch as well as a few others. The real answer is use what works for your set up because EVERY TT made will behave differently for many different reasons ans some are more prone to problems.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
SlowPoke

I have the Reese WDH, with 1 friction sway control, but have been told due to my Passports (34' length) wider span between axles, 1 should be plenty for sway control as the spread axles compensate a great deal better for sway. Had it been the standard spread, I surely would have installed a second friction, or as fla-gypsy suggests a dual cam.

The two times I've had it out on the road, I haven't had any issues with sway on the interstates at 60-65mph, with big rigs sailing past me. (Crosswinds no more than 10-15mph those days)

But that's just me, like said above, your setup will dictate what YOU need....

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
wincrasher

I like my Equal-i-zer. The WD bars are the sway control and works very well and is easy to set up.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
For the standard friction type sway control bars it is generally recommended to be used on trailer 25' or less. Over 25' would be two friction controllers or a better integrated WD/sway system like the Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer brand hitch as well as a few others. The real answer is use what works for your set up because EVERY TT made will behave differently for many different reasons ans some are more prone to problems.
That's my understanding also. I pulled a 22' Jayco and used one friction bar, but when I bought the Outback, that went away and I added the Dual Cam to my Reese hitch. I think that's the preferred setup, unfortunately few dealers know how to set them up correctly, and a lot of owners don't either. Correctly set up, they make life a lot better.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
audio1der

IMO
Friction controllers are pretty cheap. If you need a second, go for it/ Reese DCSW can b found online for $125 if you do your shopping
Which is a pretty easy pill to swallow if you need more sway control.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
That's my understanding also. I pulled a 22' Jayco and used one friction bar, but when I bought the Outback, that went away and I added the Dual Cam to my Reese hitch. I think that's the preferred setup, unfortunately few dealers know how to set them up correctly, and a lot of owners don't either. Correctly set up, they make life a lot better.
Total agreement. I added the HP Dual Cam on to my existing Reese hitch and did the installation completely myself. There are a couple of things to work out before drilling holes but I also found it more forgiving to a few minor issues than most give it credit for. Once installed the final adjustment took one short trip around an empty paking lot and a big open end wrench to set and I have not touched it since (6+ years) except for checking the torque on the self threading cap screws. The performance of this equipment has been nothing short of astounding.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Eddy

Thank you all for your response's. My tow vehicle is a 2006 F350 CC LB SRW. It's equipped with the trailer tow option, tow command and suspension upgrade. Probably will go with a distribution hitch setup with sway control. Ed
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote