Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
Rparkhurst

2017 Springdale 5th wheel, roof and ladder

Hello RV Forum,
I just purchased a Stromberg Carlson Universal Ladder to install on my 2017 Keystone Springdale 5th wheel. I wanted to install it myself, however, after calling into the Keystone Customer Service, they informed me that my coach will not support a ladder, and in addition, the roof was classified as a "non Walking" roof...and yet, I have been on top of my roof many times, and even installed a 2nd A/C unit on the roof. Can anyone help me with this? Is there a way to install the ladder without having to tear the back apart to install blocks?
Rparkhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately without knowing where the supporting structure is, there isn't any SAFE way to install a ladder. Your only option as I see it is to remove the rear wall, install bracing IF YOU CAN, and then re assemble. More trouble than its worth IMO. Too many things can go wrong when you start taking these things apart. ask me how I know.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Rparkhurst

thanks Chuckster, that is what the service tech at my local camping world told me as well. However, when I told him that my roof was a "non walking roof" he had no idea as to what meant, as he told me they had to walk on my roof to install the a/c unit. and like I said, I have been on my roof many times as well. thanks again for the quick response
Old 04-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

As a general rule, units without a ladder from the factory have been considered a "non walkable" roof. We do the same thing as the tech you mentioned, but as a rule pay attention to the rafter placement and only step there.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #5
Rparkhurst

not to look obvious...but, help me understand what to look for when you say "rafter placement"...simply put, I have no clue what that means... :-)
Old 04-21-2019, 08:01 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Your roof underneath the membrane will be some thin material like 1/8" OSB or something like that. When you step on the roof you will know when it feels "solid" vs. soft. The solid spots are the rafters that the material is secured to, and can support more weight than the space between them.

Tags
5th wheel, ladder, roof, springdale