Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2023, 02:12 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

promising AC upgrade

https://camperreport.com/keeping-you...mpaign_7218284
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 07:13 PM   #2
Balvar24

Looks like trading one plenum for another.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:33 PM   #3
Matty Rich

Seems legit and much cheaper than the RVAirflow system. So that’s promising.
I currently have RV airflow in both my ducted AC’s and love it. Worth every penny. If I had to guess; based on looking at the design. I bet it’s probably not as quiet as the RVAirflow system. But they service the same purpose.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:25 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Rich View Post
Seems legit and much cheaper than the RVAirflow system. So that’s promising.
I currently have RV airflow in both my ducted AC’s and love it. Worth every penny. If I had to guess; based on looking at the design. I bet it’s probably not as quiet as the RVAirflow system. But they service the same purpose.
I have an RVAirflow in my Brisk II and it made a big difference. This new thing looks like it work just as well and not sure about noise differences. I will not buy one myself since I already have the RVAirflow but this new system is less expensive and models Dometic A/Cs will be out later this month.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:06 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

That thing looks like a cold air induction I had for an older Ram. It's sitting in my attic. Sorry, I had to just throw that out there after I looked at it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 11:06 AM   #6
Canonman

If the KoolRV unit works as well a the Ram cold air induction then it oughta be really good.
After spending the past two weeks in the southern Utah desert,I just got on the wait list for mine. Direct forced air with a minimal plenum if any. It just looks like it'll work. Plus, a return guarantee if the DW doesn't like loosing the cold air dump.
Thanks George!! for the heads up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL1435-6.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	44522  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 02:41 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
If the KoolRV unit works as well a the Ram cold air induction then it oughta be really good.
After spending the past two weeks in the southern Utah desert,I just got on the wait list for mine. Direct forced air with a minimal plenum if any. It just looks like it'll work. Plus, a return guarantee if the DW doesn't like loosing the cold air dump.
Thanks George!! for the heads up.
As I mentioned, that new gizmo is about 1/2 the price as an RVAirflow gizmo and I would have jumped on one of the new gizmos if they had been out. I do hope you will post a follow up review; guess your particular model won't be out till the end of July.
Old 07-11-2023, 03:21 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

I like that unit, especially the price. I signed up to be notified when available for the Dometic.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:28 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

I have an RV Airflow and the price is now up to $170. Ouch.
Old 07-11-2023, 03:57 PM   #10
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have an RV Airflow and the price is now up to $170. Ouch.
I have a non-ducted AC and am jealous yall have options :-) Actually, We knew our limitations when we bought this TT but the options you all have sometimes makes me consider...

Looks like a cool alternative to what was a corner on the AC market for TTs and 5ers
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 01:53 PM   #11
Canonman

Update
Received the KoolRv Mach 3 unit in the mail this morning. Install was pretty easy. The instructions, 9 steps, were quite complete and easy to follow. The ducts on my Cougar were larger than the duct adaptors that came on the system. The instructions mention this and foil tape is provided to cover any gaps. I went a bit overkill and used some foil tape I had left over from a previous project to make double sure the gaps were sealed as well as the entire perimeter of duct adaptors. The fit to the A/C source opening was perfectly snug and snapped in place without issue. I did need to remove 2 of the bolts that secure the A/C unit to the trailer. I took these out one at a time so I could get my fat fingers around the duct adaptor to install the foil tape. Tested for any cold air leaks and reinstalled the cover.
Full disclosure, I had already replaced each of the 4 vents in the Cougar with the adjustable type. I also retaped and sealed the duct openings at the A/C unit as well as at each of the vents. I used a piece of pool noodle behind the last vent in each duct run to seal the duct as both runs went past the last duct and ended about 2' further with some raw insulation. I mention this because after installing the Koolrv unit, I did notice better air flow from the vents. Particularly the bathroom and bedroom vents. That said, it wasn't the big increase (like double) I was hoping for. This might be because of the work already done to help the airflow. Remember you loose the dump function when you install this unit.
Bottom line, Purchase/ordering was easy. Price was right. Shipping and packaging were spot on. Installation was without any problems. Improvement was there but I didn't bother testing with an anemometer. Other youtubers have already done that.
In the end, we'll see if the DW can live with out the dump feature
Old 08-16-2023, 03:12 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Thanks for the write-up. Well done. Surprised the duct openings were not spot on as they were with my RV-Airflow gizmo but the price differential would make me move in KoolRV camp if buying again. A little HVAC tape isn't that big a deal. BTW: I had already done all the fixes you mentioned (retape, pool noodle, etc) as I think most have that think about this potential last step to improve A/C function.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:44 PM   #13
NH_Bulldog

I just got the pre-order email for the Dometic Brisk II version. I like the idea, but I am also planning to upgrade the camper in the next year so I am on the fence about whether to spend the money on something the next owner wouldn’t care about. As for the air dump/quick cool, we have never used it, so wouldn’t miss it either way
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:19 PM   #14
Canonman

Rob
Just FYI if your upgrade also has the Brisk II, you keep all the items you take out during the install. When you trade up, take out the KoolRV and put the A/C back to original.
KoolRV installs in the new trailer.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:16 AM   #15
Pathman

Adj Duct vents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Update
Received the KoolRv Mach 3 unit in the mail this morning. Install was pretty easy. The instructions, 9 steps, were quite complete and easy to follow. The ducts on my Cougar were larger than the duct adaptors that came on the system. The instructions mention this and foil tape is provided to cover any gaps. I went a bit overkill and used some foil tape I had left over from a previous project to make double sure the gaps were sealed as well as the entire perimeter of duct adaptors. The fit to the A/C source opening was perfectly snug and snapped in place without issue. I did need to remove 2 of the bolts that secure the A/C unit to the trailer. I took these out one at a time so I could get my fat fingers around the duct adaptor to install the foil tape. Tested for any cold air leaks and reinstalled the cover.
Full disclosure, I had already replaced each of the 4 vents in the Cougar with the adjustable type. I also retaped and sealed the duct openings at the A/C unit as well as at each of the vents. I used a piece of pool noodle behind the last vent in each duct run to seal the duct as both runs went past the last duct and ended about 2' further with some raw insulation. I mention this because after installing the Koolrv unit, I did notice better air flow from the vents. Particularly the bathroom and bedroom vents. That said, it wasn't the big increase (like double) I was hoping for. This might be because of the work already done to help the airflow. Remember you loose the dump function when you install this unit.
Bottom line, Purchase/ordering was easy. Price was right. Shipping and packaging were spot on. Installation was without any problems. Improvement was there but I didn't bother testing with an anemometer. Other youtubers have already done that.
In the end, we'll see if the DW can live with out the dump feature
Do you have a link to the adjustable duct vents you installed?
Pathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 12:41 PM   #16
cougar23

Installed the Kool RV unit in my 2023 Cougar 23MLE today. Was not a easy install! I had to modify part of my AC filter support in order to clear the Kool RV unit which extended down to far. No other way around it.
Once installation was complete my air flow increased by60 % in our bedroom with 2 outlets and 20% in living room with 6 outlets. Air flow checked with handheld anemometer.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
Installed the Kool RV unit in my 2023 Cougar 23MLE today. Was not a easy install! I had to modify part of my AC filter support in order to clear the Kool RV unit which extended down to far. No other way around it.
Once installation was complete my air flow increased by60 % in our bedroom with 2 outlets and 20% in living room with 6 outlets. Air flow checked with handheld anemometer.
Since we have a Dometic Brisk II with no "filter support", suggest you mention type of A/C and perhaps take a picture or two of the install.
Old 08-18-2023, 08:49 AM   #18
cougar23

My mistake for not stating the make/model of my AC which is a Coleman-Mach 15. Have not learned how to post pictures yet.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 09:04 AM   #19
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathman View Post
Do you have a link to the adjustable duct vents you installed?
I think I got mine through Amazon. These look to be the same as I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-9427...60472050&psc=1
Old 08-18-2023, 09:09 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar23 View Post
My mistake for not stating the make/model of my AC which is a Coleman-Mach 15. Have not learned how to post pictures yet.
To post pictures, either select "ADVANCED" if you are the original poster or if you reply the "ADDITIONAL OPTIONS" pane will be below the "REPLY TO THREAD PANE" (I am on one now).

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS -> Manage Attachments -> Choose File

You will have a small window pop up and you can use a file manager type function to select the image from your computer/device you wish to post; it will appear where you position your cursor in the post.

UPLOAD -> Close this window (last function in the file manager type box).

Click the "Submit Reply" radio button when done with the text and your image will appear in your post (where you left your cursor when you uploaded it)

Tags
upgrade