Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
cayovelez

New Cougar 244rlwe 5th wheel

Hello all,

Just purchased a new to me 2016 Cougar 244rlswe 5th wheel and i am excited. Looking for recomendations on a few things:

a) what generator fits on the front cargo area? I have a honda 2000, but I would like something bigger

b) what upgrades should I get? I am coming from a lance 825 camper(very small)

Thanks for the help.

Carlos
cayovelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
Uneasyrider

Subscribed.
Uneasyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
cayovelez

To Uneasyrider:

I am new to this forum. What do you mean: Subscribed.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

It is a 5th wheel. What do you mean by front cargo area... you talking on the front of the trailer? Never saw anyone attempt to store a generator there; would think it would have to go in the pass through storage area. I wouldn't want to hoist a generator up there by myself. You likely have a 30A service in your small 5ver. This means minimum 3500 running watts and you will not want to run a lot of the other stuff (like the microwave) if running the A/C. I have this generator which has a 30A RV plug which makes it convenient. I also use the generator at the house if we have a power outage (common where I live). I have a box inside the house that switches from line to generator power and I can control which areas of the house to switch. Can't run the house A/C or heater or electric stove but can run our 5K BTU A/C in our bedroom and lights/tv in all the bedrooms and living room and keep the refrigerator on. Won't run the 220V well pumps either. You will also have to figure out how to tote gas which I would not recommend IN the RV... perhaps in the bed of your truck. It stinks too much. You would do well to compute up all the 110V draws and convert these to watts to size yourself anyway.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
cayovelez

It is a 5th. Wheel and the smallest one of the 5th. wheel they make. There is a huge storage are where you find the battery and in the models of same kind but bigger the put a build in genny there. I called Keystone and my model 244rlswe does not come with a genny due to size. I was just wondering on any 244rlswe users out there which portable genny they are able to fit there.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

You can't operate the generator in that compartment and you'll very likely damage the lip on the door loading/unloading the generator from that compartment. If you do damage the door, it probably won't seal correctly and you stand a chance of causing water damage from a possible leak in the area.

Most people simply put the generator in the bed of the tow truck and lift it over the side to use it, then store it in the bed of the truck when they break camp. You'll want to store the gas supply away from the generator, truck and trailer and you'll want some means to lock the generator to something substantial to prevent it from walking away when you're not watching it....

I'd advise against putting anything with a gas tank in the storage compartment, directly under where you'll be sleeping and where the battery/circuit breakers/landing gear motor could "spark and cause a fire".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
Uneasyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayovelez View Post
To Uneasyrider:

I am new to this forum. What do you mean: Subscribed.

Thanks

Hi, I too am new here but just want to follow this thread.

Personally I plan on using solar panels and a small generator for occasional needs... have yet to purchase FW.
Uneasyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
Javi

As a note for those who have not as of yet purchased your 5th wheel... They do make some which are generator prepped in the front compartment...

Just not the one the OP chose...
Old 08-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
cayovelez

JRTJH and rest,

Thanks, keeping that area as tight as possible is a great advise.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

cayovelez, FYI, I have a 27' Cougar 5th wheel and the thought of a generator under the bed doesn't get warm for me. When I take my generator camping, I take it out of the truck bed and roll it as far from the camper as possible (the length of the cord) as it is noisy and as with any portable generator, you are not supposed to operate it within 5 feet of anything else.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
mhbell

Smile I had one with a generator in the front

For those of you who don't know there are many 5th wheels with a generator in the front compartment. I had a Jayco Designer with a factory installed onan generator with remote so it could be started from inside the 5th wheel. Of course that is a much bigger unit than what the OP has. ON my present unit I have solar panels and 4 house batteries in the front compartment. I carry a 2000 watt A1 power gen in the bed of the truck, for charging when needed.
Mel
Old 08-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #12
KimNTerry

Similiar here 4 6v batteries. 2 yamaha 2000 generators I can parallel and run the A/C if needed. Only 1 is needed for charging if needed.

Gennys and fuel in the truck. Getting them in and out of the trailer was a hassle.

Solar panels are on the to do list. Plan complete waiting on funds.

I know a generator repair guy who refuses to work on building in RV generators. Too hard to work on.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #13
fjr vfr

IMHO. You don't want to keep your gen in the front compartment. I keep mine in the truck in the corner behind the 5th wheel. If you need more power get a second 2000 and a parallel kit so you can run them together. Two 2000's are a lot easier to handle than a bigger gen and you will only need to run both rarely.
I have also seen others run their gen from the back of the truck with an extension cable.

You do need to secure them.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cougar