Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
Mrw

Electrical circuit power loss

I have a 2015 Montana High Country. I have experienced an intermittent loss of power to one specific 110V circuit while traveling. It includes the bath GFI plug as well as about 6 other plugs. It seems to most likely occur when using a 30 amp service connection. Most recently it occured while at an RV park with that service but upon returning home and plugging into a 15 AMP service the circuit worked fine again. I have checked the panel and no breakers tripped or blown fuses. I have plans to take it into the shop next week but I fear it will work fine when they test it and they won't be able to diagnose the problem. Has anyone experienced a similar problem or have any thoughts on what I might suggest to the shop?

Thanks
Reed
Mrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
Canonman

Is it possible the other affected plugs are on the same circuit as the GFI? It is common that other "wet area" plugs are wired on the "protected" side of the original GFI plug. If the GFI plug is weak or has a faulty connection (very likely when the problem is intermittent) it can affect all the plugs on the circuit.
I'd suggest disconnecting the shore power and inspect the GFI plug to be sure the connections are tight. You can get a quality replacement at Home Depot if there is any question that the plug is faulty. Also, be wary if the installer used the "stab" connectors instead of the lug connectors. Stab connectors are notoriously suspect in high vibration environments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8138 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	14068  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
Johnny's Journey

Did you test shore power ? Pedestal could have lacked proper grounding or polarity may have been wrong.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Mrw

Thanks I agree the gfi is my first thought but when the circuit is active and tested the gfi the other plugs still worked. Seems like might eliminate the gfi as the culprit but I still will look into that further
Old 09-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
Mrw

I did not check that and that would explain the random nature of the problem but if that was the case wouldn't you expect that the entire electrical system would be affected not just a specific circuit?
Old 09-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrw View Post
I did not check that and that would explain the random nature of the problem but if that was the case wouldn't you expect that the entire electrical system would be affected not just a specific circuit?
If there is a loose connection between the power post and the breaker box in your rig, you'd have system wide intermittent outages. But you don't.

The occasional outages being on one particular circuit suggests either a bad component or a loose connection. Circuit breakers can fail, but it's very unusual. The same for the GFCI fixture. I'd zero in on loose connections first starting at the GFCI. Be sure the breaker is off, or better yet shut down the main breaker. Pull the GICI from the wall and check the connections. As Canonman said, the stab connections are always suspect in any environment where there is motion. The screw terminal connections are much more reliable, but they do need to be tight enough not to work loose over time. If that doesn't solve the problem, it's possible that there is a loose connection in the breaker box. Not everyone is comfortable pulling the cover off a breaker box, but it's not particularly difficult if the shore line is disconnected and the main breaker is off. Once the cover is off, a few seconds with a screw driver will verify the tightness of the connections in there.

The AC side of your electrical system is pretty much identical to a residential system. The components are all pretty much the same but the major difference is that RV's don't require wall boxes in most cases. (The breaker box is physically a little different, but not electrically. It's just smaller and part of the larger power center assembly.) So when you remove the cover plate and pull the mounting screws, the outlet or switch and some folded up wire are right there. They usually wrap some electrical tape around the fixture to prevent accidental shorts.

Unless there is a broken wire somewhere, loose connections are almost certainly the primary cause of the failure you are having.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
Javi

Many campgrounds are wired by shade tree electricians.... One of the main reasons I won't own an RV without a Progressive EMS hardwired into the system..
Old 09-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Many campgrounds are wired by shade tree electricians.... One of the main reasons I won't own an RV without a Progressive EMS hardwired into the system..

I agree.

Every time I see billy-bob come out of the maintenance shed to address an electrical problem I just shake my head. Now, I'm not bashing every self-taught electrician -- because I know one can be VERY knowledgeable about electricity, codes and the right way to do things without being a union pro. However, some of these campground "electricians" shouldn't be changing light-bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:26 AM   #9
5J's

All good information. As an electrician I will tell you that a loose connection is likely your problem. It will be at the breaker panel or in the first outlet in the string. The outlets will be paralleled together so if you get a bad connection on one of them everything else "down stream" will not work. When checking tightness in your breaker box don't forget to check your neutrals (the white wires). Oh and yeah stay away from the stab connections, they are trouble waiting to happen.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #10
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
X2 on the progressive ems........nice to have peace of mind.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, power