Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2016, 04:10 AM   #1
xcntrk

19.5 Truck tires & wheel?

Any heavy haulers running 19.5" truck tires and wheels?

I have a SRW platform and am exploring tire/wheel load capacity upgrades.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
bsmith0404

I don't, but I know people who do. There are pros and cons just like with anything else. Probably the biggest con is the harsh ride. They have added airbags to try to keep their teeth in their mouth. The 19.5" wheels don't have enough sidewall flex so you get a lot more jarring than with a taller sidewall tire. The pros are because of the same thing. The short sidewall with less flex also is a more stable tire.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

While I had a artic fox truck camper. I found that many on the forum with srw 1 tons with the large campers and pulling boats, large cargo trailers or horse trailer were using them. Plus is the load capacity, more stable ride, longer tire life. The bad is the hard ride when empty. I almost did it with the idea of putting on the 19.5s for the vacations with camper and boat. Than change back to the 16s when not towing. But, that is a lot of money and changing wheels/tires from month to month. If you only use the truck to pull that 5er might be a great idea. Some guys sold them because of the bad ride when empty or got a drw.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
BirchyBoy

I was just reading on a Ford owners forum the other day about 19.5" tires. The general consensus was that they are very sensitive to over-speed issues, with the max speed being 65 or so. Not sure exactly why, but many didn't like them.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

You might be talking about the Ford front end death wobble. I have read about it but, without any real answers as to why. The 19.5s are 12 and 14 ply, shorter side walls, maybe that has something to do about it. A co-worker has a horse towing company. He has 2 other drivers and 3 trucks. He told me once that he has had the ford death wobble happen on his f450s. He thinks it has to do with the tread and how much wear is on the tire. I am only repeating what he thinks without any real data or other facts.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
You might be talking about the Ford front end death wobble. I have read about it but, without any real answers as to why. The 19.5s are 12 and 14 ply, shorter side walls, maybe that has something to do about it. A co-worker has a horse towing company. He has 2 other drivers and 3 trucks. He told me once that he has had the ford death wobble happen on his f450s. He thinks it has to do with the tread and how much wear is on the tire. I am only repeating what he thinks without any real data or other facts.
I found the thread I was reading. Not the death wobble; max speed of Ford OEM tires. Probably not pertinent to this conversation.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14...2010-f450.html
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post

The Ford death wobble is due to not enough caster in the front end alignment. Without enough caster, the wheels try to turn (slightly) left-and-right while going down the road. When all front suspension and steering components are fresh and tight, the problem tends to not manifest. Once things wear, slack in the system allows the shake/wobble to take place.

Lift kits (taller coil springs) that do not also drop the rear of the front trailing arm, introduce even more negative caster which exacerbates the problem.

Taller tires can also exacerbate the problem.

Rear ends jacked up higher (like F350 being higher in back than F250 for one example) can also exacerbate the problem.

Any worn suspension and/or steering components (including irregularly worn tires) can also exacerbate the problem.

Combine one or more of these things and it can really get bad.

Since there is no caster adjustment, there are products out there that can be installed (usually requires welding) that allows for caster adjustment.

On Ford solid axle front ends, caster is changed by rotating (very slightly) the solid axle assembly forward (negative caster) or backward (positive caster). As you can see, installing taller front coil springs, without dropping the rear part of the trailing arm will rotate the front end forward, resulting in even less caster that factory. Factory caster is less than ideal to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Thanks for the answer.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
Trent McCain

I contemplated switching our '09 F350 SRW over to 19.5's after buying a DRV Mobile Suites that ended up being alittle heavier than anticipated. We were 5,600 on the front (6k rated) and 7,000 on the rear (7k rated) We were over the 11,400 GVW. I found a Toyo tire that was rated for a little over 4,000 lbs ea. I went that route as they would have more than enough capacity to handle the load and we could retain the factory wheels. I also had my truck shop balance them with beads in the tire vs weights on the wheels. It worked well for us, pricy at $1,300, but still cheaper than 19.5's. We probably run them a couple thousand miles before trading the truck for a new '16 F350 DRW, so unsure how long they would last, we only drive our diesel about 5k mi a year, so they would have probably rotted before wearing out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
bobbecky

Had them on a couple of company F450 trucks prior to retirement, and they are extremely harsh, especially on rough roads. Taller sidewalls definitely help make the ride bearable.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
Trent McCain

Another reason we stayed with 18's, We could air down when not towing. Our truck was a crew cab short box 4x4 and rode like a lumber wagon unloaded as it was.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:37 AM   #12
fredetteb

My F-450 has 19.5's as standard equipment. I agree that the heavier sidewall of the G rated tires are not very comfortable to ride on for a daily driver, but for hauling the 5er they are amazingly stable and rugged. Of course the springs on my truck are also very stiff which also adds to the rough ride when unloaded.

If you're looking to minimize sway and improve tread life, the "commercial" nature of 19.5 tires will help. However, adding larger tires and wheels does not increase your load capacity.

You truck is rated to tow a certain weight. Springs, axles, and all the other components of your truck factor into this capacity. The addition of new wheels may add a level of safety and control, but will not affect the total GVWR of your truck.
Tonneau cover. BullyDog GT. High Idle Mod.
B&W Turnoverball™ with a Companion 5th Wheel Hitch.
2018 Keystone Montana High Country 381TH.
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote