Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
Thunderchicken

New Member and Shopping

Hi All;

I'm not an owner yet. I plan to purchase a Passport 23RB in the next two years if I determine my 2009 F-150 can handle it. (A rental trip this fall will tell me.) Never having towed a TT, I look forward to asking a lot of questions once I've lurked a while.
Thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:09 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Sorry to disappoint you, but we don't sell our new members. It's not a bad idea though. Maybe we could form an alliance with some other forums and work a trade arrangement.

I like the rental idea, especially for someone who has never towed before. Make sure you double check with your insurance to be sure you have adequate coverage or buy their insurance when renting. It's too easy for someone inexperienced to cause damage when towing for the first few times. Heck, it's too easy for someone with experience to pull a BONEHEAD move and damage a brand new 5er....or so I've heard

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
Thunderchicken

Thank you for your reply. I have a new insurance company and hadn't given that a thought.

I'm not so concerned about my ability as I am about the towing manners of this truck. It's an F-150 crew cab 4.6L, 6 speed, 3.73's with the towing package. It's rated for 9300# but just the little I've driven it the rear suspension is pretty soft till you hit the overloads. The rental I have in mind is 7800#. (Close to the trailer I'd like to purchase.) I don't like being that close to my tow limit but I'll try it once and we'll see what it feels like. I've never used a weight distributing hitch before. So that will be a new one for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but we don't sell our new members. It's not a bad idea though.
Oh and I don't need any more mouths to feed. I'm just getting rid of two college kids.
Thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
bsmith0404

It does seem like a lot of trailer for a half ton truck, but you never know till you try. A WD hitch should help. Good luck, enjoy, and hopefully you will learn enough to be able to make a smart purchase when you decide to get your own

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:38 AM   #5
Thunderchicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
It does seem like a lot of trailer for a half ton truck, but you never know till you try. A WD hitch should help. Good luck, enjoy, and hopefully you will learn enough to be able to make a smart purchase when you decide to get your own
I agree and I don't like the idea of being that close to the limit. I haven't run the GCVWR numbers yet. I expect they'll look equally close. I have towed up to the limit in an E-350 6.8L, 5 speed, with 4.10s and it was a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be. (But that wasn't traveling either.) My back up plan is a 2200RB at 6500# or a 195FB at 5200#. Those should be no problem. I plan on dropping by the Passport dealer next week and scoping out some stuff. Thanks for your input.