Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
norcalguy

14 Fuzion 331 rear floor heater

I remember reading in the brochure when I bought the rig that there was a heated floor in the toy area. I failed to ask the dealer whether its an electrical heated floor or how it works. Anyone know? My friends were freezing last weekend in the rear while dry camping. There is only one 3-4" vent at floor level in the rear. We also left the slider open also. Any other suggestions.
norcalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:33 AM   #2
kbravo1974

In My 2015 371 and a Friends 2015 342 the Garage has a Defiant lack of furnace to supply heat back to the garage area. We have to use a space heater back there. Good Luck
Old 02-21-2015, 06:03 AM   #3
Zapper

My 2015 325 has a heat strip in the garage AC unit. Have never seen anything about heated floors.

2015 3500HD DRW LTZ Durmax/Allison
2015 Fuzion 325 Onyx with Monster Pack
Reese 20K slider
Zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
VAJeff

In our 2015 371, there is one heat vent for the garage under the W/D hookus from the propane furnace. The rear A/C unit also has a heat strip in it to help out.

I beleive the thermostat in the back when on heat only engages the heat strip, the fron thermostat controls the propane furnace.
VAJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
gtsum2

Only heat vent back there when I looked at one the other day (and heat strip on the ac unit)
Old 02-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
norcalguy

I have used the heat strip in the rear a/c unit its pretty much useless. I have a space heater we use when pugged in to shore power. We would have to run the generator all night to use either of those. Anyone using a inverter to run a space heater? Wondering if it would last all night with the gas furnace running also. We are currently using a 500w inverter to run the TV's inside and out w the dish DVR. I have 3-12v batteries.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Interesting !!! Never heard of a headed floor in a fifth wheel toy hauler. There is nothing there but a floor and the outside. With these new 5K anchors welded to the frame, if not caulked correctly you can see the ground. If I recall there are a few threads on the forum on heat or lack of in the garage of a TH. If any the largest heat source I am aware of is a 2" duct from the main furnace terminating into a circular register on the center wall. Do not expect it to blow your wig off As stated some have a heat strip in the AC unit back there. I think most of us supplement whatever sick heat source we have back in the garage area with a space heater.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I haven't seen a heated floor in any trailer. Not saying they don't exist.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
norcalguy

I am betting I confused the floor with the heating strip.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Talking

To avoid extreme disappointment, forget it is there
Buy a good space heater

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalguy View Post
I have used the heat strip in the rear a/c unit its pretty much useless. I have a space heater we use when pugged in to shore power. We would have to run the generator all night to use either of those. Anyone using a inverter to run a space heater? Wondering if it would last all night with the gas furnace running also. We are currently using a 500w inverter to run the TV's inside and out w the dish DVR. I have 3-12v batteries.
Doing the math, its "daggon" impossible to run a space heater on an inverter powered by deep cycle batteries. Just for "grins": 1500 watt resistive heater equals 12.5 Amps at 120 VAC. To run a resistive heat source on an inverter, you'd need a 1.5KW inverter. That's 3 times the maximum power capability of your existing inverter. I'm guessing that with 3 105 amp/hr deep cycle batteries, most of which are rated to deliver 75 amps for 54 minutes, you will be drawing 125 amps @12 VDC to provide inverter power at 12.5 amps @120 VAC. So you could get maybe 2 or 3 hours of heat from your 3 batteries, then your furnace, refrigerator, lights, water pump and the "rest of the stuff" would also die along with the space heater.

No, it's not going to be a cost effective way to heat, nor will you be able to recharge the batteries the next day without some long LONG generator run time. Probably longer run time than the 6 hours you'd need to run the generator to provide power for the heater.

I'd recommend looking for an alternative solution to heating. Batteries and an inverter aren't going to cut it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

norcalguy:

Something to consider in lieu of a space heater is a "Mr. Buddy" propane heater. We sometimes use one during the morning, daytime and early evening to cut down on having to run the furnace for long periods and the subsequent drain on our 6v batteries.

These heaters come in either a single or double "burner" size, (Buddy and Big Buddy) will operate off the small 1 lb propane tanks or a regular 20 lb. If using the 20 lb tank, we run a long hose outside the unit to the tank. They also have a low-oxygen and tip-over safety cut offs.

During the daytime when they are running, we crank open a couple of windows to provide oxygen for the interior and turn them off when we go to bed at night.

We've used them for several years and find them to be a good alternative heat source to having to run the furnace to keep warm.

You can visit their website at www.mrheater.com
Old 02-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #13
Toyhusky

Just thinking out loud here, anyone try to put an inline fan in the duct going to the garage to increase the pressure? Something like a computer cooling fan that uses very little power.
Toyhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyhusky View Post
Just thinking out loud here, anyone try to put an inline fan in the duct going to the garage to increase the pressure? Something like a computer cooling fan that uses very little power.
Only problem I see is that the furnace control board has to see a positive airflow for the burner to light. Using a computer fan in the ductwork may cause enough pressure drop to cause the burner to shutdown. I suppose it may be worth a try though.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyhusky View Post
YES, have thought about it when its cold back there. But I have to admit knowing that the garage register is feed from a 2" flex duct think tapped off the end of the rectangular heating duct in the Kitchen (the longest run from furnace), I just plug in the space heater. Have to admit a small computer fan would fit the register pretty well it's overall effect not sure. As you can tell other than plugging in a space heater have done nothing but think and bitch about it

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)