Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
Brantlyj

Washboard feeling road

Took the TT to Omaha last weekend. First long pull. There are several sections between Des Moines and Omaha that are kind of rough. Not sure if the expansion joints are to wide, one panel is slightly higher than the next or what. It’s merely annoying in the car, noticeable in the truck but it’s amplified pretty good with the trailer. I thought my kids would have shaken baby syndrome sitting in the back row by the time we got there.
I had the tv tires at 65 psi front, 75 psi rear and 65 psi on the TT.

Anyway to smooth things out? I have Bilstien shocks already. Would airbags help at all? I want to go to Mt Rushmore next year but my wife is seriously considering not if it’s going to loose all her fillings.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Northofu1

There are some sections of road that cannot be tamed. Hiway 69 from Port Huron Mi to I-75 has a stretch that is brutal. That was with a brand new truck.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There are some rigs that when driven on some roads, simply will set up an oscillation that can't be controlled. Depending on the truck wheelbase, the distance from the rear wheel of the truck to the front wheel of the trailer and the amount of "spring" that's induced into the mix by the WD hitch "spring action", if the expansion joints in the highway "match or compete with" the measurements above, there's simply no way you can "force the up motion to be neutral when the down motion is occurring. It's a matter of measurements, not luck. Sometimes, reducing the tension on the WD hitch will lessen the oscillations, but they'll always be there.

Once you get off that stretch of highway, things will "smooth out" and if everyone survived, a short rest before continuing will usually "lighten the mood"....

If you really, REALLY want a MISERABLE BUCKING DRIVE (pun intended), try I-10 (on the elevated roadway) from Breaux Bridge to Baton Rouge, LA. It'll make you appreciate some of the other "lesser paint mixer highways"......

That said, Every state has their famous (or infamous) stretch of highway that most try to avoid but few can find a detour that works.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

If you are going to do "long hauls" pulling a trailer of any kind you have to get used to some "undulation" and possibly bucking. It's just there and can't/won't be eliminated.

The first time I made the run through Shreveport, and then Jackson, MS pulling this trailer with a 1/2 ton I literally thought we would be thrown from the truck. DW was not happy. Had to slow it down to about 45 and hope a semi didn't push me off a bridge. Upgraded to the 3/4 ton, 80 psi on the truck and trailer and SO much better. It still bounces you around and makes you wonder who designs LA/MS highways but not nearly so unpleasant.

I promise, no where you go is going to be like riding in my 1969 Buick Electra 225 "boat" that just "floated" down the highway - nope, towing across the country will expose you to lots of "fun" as you cruise along. DW will get used to it....it's CAMPING!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
There are some sections of road that cannot be tamed. Hiway 69 from Port Huron Mi to I-75 has a stretch that is brutal. That was with a brand new truck.
Been there, done that. Car, motorcycle, truck towing camper, all miserable on that stretch. Fast lane was marginally better. Wife has never hated that stretch more than while towing the camper
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
RWRiley

Got some of the same roads here in Indiana, and ran into same on I90 in Wisconsin. The only thing I could do was back down to 50mph.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #7
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

I 80 around De Moines is terrible so are the other roads we were on in Iowa. Worse than Mn if you can believe it.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
I 80 around De Moines is terrible so are the other roads we were on in Iowa. Worse than Mn if you can believe it.
I grew up in the Twin Cities. I always thought I35 and I94 were always pretty decent.

I hate Iowa roads. And let’s not mention snow removal. I swear the tow trucks have the State DOT in their pocket. My parents counted 400+ cars in the ditch between Des Moimes and the MN/Is border durring a light snow storm. Totally ice covered and you could tell when you crossed into MN as the road was wet but otherwise clear and no cars in the ditch. For all the complaining that people do about the constant construction needs to come down here. I’d rather over salt and do repairs in the summer than don’t plow at all and do repairs to my car.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 PM   #9
busterbrown

What size truck tires are on the Ford? Lower profile tires (on 20" wheels) will be less forgiving than higher profile tires on 17" wheels.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #10
FlyingAroundRV

I20 into and around Shreveport LA. That's the worst section of highway I've had the misfortune to drive on.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 AM   #11
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
What size truck tires are on the Ford? Lower profile tires (on 20" wheels) will be less forgiving than higher profile tires on 17" wheels.
18” load E
Old 10-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
goducks

If your combo tows fine most of the time then there's really nothing you can do about it.
There's as many solutions as there are different combos.
Very rarely do the people offering solutions have the same truck and trailer that the OP does.
I've towed several TT's and a 5er using the same truck or different truck over the same roads. For the most part not much changed. If the roads bad then chances are the tow experience won't be very good.

With all that being said. Spring bar tension can go a long way towards ride comfort.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #13
Brantlyj

[QUOTE=goducks;363176

With all that being said. Spring bar tension can go a long way towards ride comfort.[/QUOTE]

When you say swing bar tension do you want more or less? And what’s the best way to do that? Slide the brackets?

As it sits now the front end measurement is exactly where it is unloaded so per Equilizer it’s set-up perfectly.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

You don't want to mess up a perfectly set up hitch trying to get rid of something that you can't get rid of - you will induce much worse problems. I once, ill advised, tried that and kept doing it until the next time I left with the RV my rear truck tires started spinning when I went over a hump at a street intersection. Needless to say I had been compromising my safety and drivability trying to "chase ghosts".

You have another post asking about air bags. No more than they cost just put them on. It may or may not get rid of what concerns you/DW but at least you can tell her you are doing everything you can to stop the bouncing on "bad roads", but, at some point you have to realize....it is what it is.

You have the 3/4 ton so it should be capable of handling the RV without undue "bouncing". If it were me, and I will probably do it before I leave if I have time, I would install the Sumosprings instead of the airbags. Far less effort to install and less worries going forward. After you've done one or the other just figure it won't get any better, have fun and quit worrying.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #15
Justvisiting2day

We have pulled all over the US and AK with a TT, 2002, 3/4 ton HD Silverado. IA 1000 pound Weight Dist hitch hook up and the only place I have a real problem with is California. And refuse to every drive through that state again. The restrictions they have placed on towables makes you drive in the old right lanes, beat the cr-- out of you and it is a ticket if found going over 55mph on most hwys. Knowing how to load your trailer and the correct speed(on that road) is a primer in any tow situ.

Brantly.j you may have too much air for your rig, double check the ratings, Also when you set your load bars, measure your fender wells front and back. after setting up the heights should be the same. If need be, after hooking up, use your trailer tongue jack to lift your TV rear up in the air enough to hook your unit up very snug. Then let your TV down, double check the fender edges. The ride should be smoother. and when you hit those,, roads just slow down, It is only your equipment you are tearing up. And the roads get better as you travel more. Be safe and get out..
Chuck
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #16
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You don't want to mess up a perfectly set up hitch trying to get rid of something that you can't get rid of - you will induce much worse problems. I once, ill advised, tried that and kept doing it until the next time I left with the RV my rear truck tires started spinning when I went over a hump at a street intersection. Needless to say I had been compromising my safety and drivability trying to "chase ghosts".

You have another post asking about air bags. No more than they cost just put them on. It may or may not get rid of what concerns you/DW but at least you can tell her you are doing everything you can to stop the bouncing on "bad roads", but, at some point you have to realize....it is what it is.

You have the 3/4 ton so it should be capable of handling the RV without undue "bouncing". If it were me, and I will probably do it before I leave if I have time, I would install the Sumosprings instead of the airbags. Far less effort to install and less worries going forward. After you've done one or the other just figure it won't get any better, have fun and quit worrying.
Fair enough. It rides good otherwise. Even over potholes and rough road at slow speed you don’t get that herky jerky feeing as the trailer tries to push and pull the truck. I think Ford got the suspension pretty much right on these F250’s. As I mentioned on the other thread I have 3000 lbs in the bed several times a day for work. Not a lot of squat and barley on the overrides. It sure airbags or Sumo Springs would be worth it even in that situation. Was just hopping there was a definitive solution that would be worth the investment.

If the possibility of little to no gain, I’ll put them in the if I have money burning a hole in my pocket category. Next spring I plan on a set of good tires and probably the Morryde suspension for the trailer.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #17
jsmith948

You know the road is getting a little too rough when, at a fuel stop, the DW goes in the trailer and changes into a sports bra...

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #18
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
You know the road is getting a little too rough when, at a fuel stop, the DW goes in the trailer and changes into a sports bra...
That was mentioned.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #19
goducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
When you say swing bar tension do you want more or less? And what’s the best way to do that? Slide the brackets?

As it sits now the front end measurement is exactly where it is unloaded so per Equilizer it’s set-up perfectly.
The stiffer the bars the more jerk according to my WDH MFG.
I wouldn't mess with your setup. sounds like you have it dialed in exactly as it should be. Like I said it's just the nature of the beast.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #20
rs1718

I go coast to coast and our interstates suck. I-90 across South Dakota is pretty good to travel
rs1718 is offline   Reply With Quote