Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
jbiggers

Generator vs plug in

When I am plugged in to 110 and turn my gen on to run say the coffee pot, does the gen override the 110 power or do I need to always unplug first?

Thanks Jeannie
jbiggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Most transfer switches are designed to “default” to the generator. If your plugged into shore power, you shouldn’t need the gen.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Most transfer switches are designed to “default” to the generator. If your plugged into shore power, you shouldn’t need the gen.
That was my question.
Why would you start the generator if you're plugged into shore power? You won't double the amps!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
bobbecky

If it was possible to feed both the power from a pedestal and a generator at the same time, either the generator or the pedestal power will trip out because, even though both sources would be providing 120 volts, they would be out of sync of the frequency or the actual voltage, and you would be backfeeding power into the utility system which is extremely dangerous which can and has killed utility line workers, one that I worked with years ago.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:03 AM   #5
jbiggers

Because what I am plugged into is not enough power to run the coffee pot or hair dryer etc. That is why I posted the question. If I need to unplug then that's ok and what I need to know.

If you read the question, I am plugged into 110 not 30 or 50. I would never turn gen on when plugged into 30 or 50.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

IF (note all caps) you have an automatic transfer switch that automatically disconnects the shore power from the trailer power center when the generator comes online, then NO, you don't have to disconnect the trailer from shore power, the transfer switch does it for you.

IF (again all caps) you do not have an automatic transfer switch (manual switch or no switch at all) then you need to disconnect shore power BEFORE bringing the generator online. If you fail to do that, you'll be feeding 120VAC from shore power AND 120VAC from generator power to the power center "main circuit breakers"... Depending on how they are wired, you'll probably damage the generator (backfeeding power to it) or damage appliances and accessories connected to the circuit breakers inside the trailer. The input "could be wired" a number of ways, potentially providing 240VAC to the main circuit breakers which "could destroy your electrical system, the generator or send unwanted power into the campground electrical grid".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #7
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggers View Post
Because what I am plugged into is not enough power to run the coffee pot or hair dryer etc. That is why I posted the question. If I need to unplug then that's ok and what I need to know.

If you read the question, I am plugged into 110 not 30 or 50. I would never turn gen on when plugged into 30 or 50.
What are you plugged in to? Any regular outlet should be more than adequate to run a coffee pot or hair dryer. Are you using a long extension cord?
Old 08-30-2019, 07:00 AM   #8
jbiggers

Thank you ! That makes sense. I will find out what I have.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:

Hopefully you're plugged into 110 volt & not 220! If you're plugged into your house or a park pedestal, yes your plugged to 110 volts, depending on your RV it's either 30 or 50 amp service. If your RV is a 30 amp service it's doubtful you could run more than a couple high amp appliances (ac, microwave, coffee pot, hairdryer) at the same time. If at home plugged into a regular plug with an extension cord it could be 15, 20, 30 amps depending on the breaker & won't run but 1 of those items at a time, maybe. Depending on your generator you still may not be able the run them all with it either.
This probably sounds confusing, after reading your post you apparently don't know what you have or anything about electricity so be very careful, probably need some assistance from someone that knows what they're doing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
jbiggers

I have a 50 amp trailer and cord. I know on 10 amp service you can only run minimal things 1 at a time and some things like ac, coffee pot, hair dryer etc never. I made the mistake as saying 110 which was incorrect. I needed to be talking in amps instead. I do have a switch and I am fine staying plugged in as my unit will make the switch. Thank you all for your help!!
Old 08-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I have a 50 amp trailer and cord. I know on 10 amp service you can only run minimal things 1 at a time and some things like ac, coffee pot, hair dryer etc never. I made the mistake as saying 110 which was incorrect. I needed to be talking in amps instead. I do have a switch and I am fine staying plugged in as my unit will make the switch. Thank you all for your help!!

Saying 110 wasn’t incorrect, just incomplete. Your plugged into 110, even if your plugged into a 50A source. 50A is a bit misleading as it’s actually 2 “legs” of 50A for a total of 100A of 110VAC. It can get confusing for some, not pointing a finger at you. One of the great things about forums like this one is the ability to gain lots of knowledge for an affordable cost.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:13 AM   #12
Roscommon48

Gee, I was just getting started on what?????

I really never heard of a circuit just being 10 amps. Something isn't normal. It must be an old old system.

As for the coffee pot, take it outside and just run a direct line to the coffee pot from the gen.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #13
Preyou

Be on the safe side and unplug from shore power! The sync is unbalanced and can cause problems. There is always a chance of back feed to the power grid. With the generator you can generate overhead line voltage which is over 1000 volts and can kill utility workers!!!
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #14
BadmanRick

That must be one hell of a coffee pot to use that much juice.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #15
cenders

15a

Generally speaking, the lowest circuit in North America is 15amps. Every campground will run a dedicated 15A circuit to each campsite. I would be really surprised that you'd have to start your gen to make coffee in the morning while plugged in to shore power.

I would always start by trying it out first on shore power. If doing that trips the breaker to the campsite (no big deal) then you'd know to reduce the load (set fridge to propane, turn off the TV, etc) next time.

In a campground that has power sites, none of your neighbors will appreciate hearing a generator fire up at whatever time in the morning while you make your coffee.
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #16
teacherman

I've always been a gauge weenie when it comes to power cords, and I've noticed even my fat cords can get hot near the connections. My question is this: Might there be any corrosion starting in an aging cord, or might the connectors be a bit on the skimpy side? This might make a difference, based on the weakest link theory.

Coffee is my essential heart starting fluid, so I pay close attention here!

2019 Load Trail 10k payload dump trailer

Bunkhouse trailer to be added soon!
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator