Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2019, 04:16 AM   #81
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
You can buy a thing you plug into the harness behind the "button" for about $100. All it does is "lock in" the off position regardless of ignition cycles. I have just got used to pushing the button and it doesn't bother me too much. Cyl deactivation on my tahoe was seemless feeling as well, but I don't miss the 16 mpg I was getting when I wasn't towing anyways lol. That was a old truck with lots of miles so I didn't fret much, and the newer ones are a lot better.

Other than having the start stop lock in on my truck, the only other thing i would wish for is a lock in on the drive mode. I realize that it pretty much only changes the tip-in for the most part, but if I want to leave in eco mode or sport mode, I wish I didn't have to push the button every time.
There is a module that will do that also. It's about $300.

I just press the button to get me to sport mode. Lol
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #82
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Cyl deactivation on my tahoe was seemless feeling as well,
I can feel when my truck goes into V4 mode, and it is definatley more sluggish. Feels like the truck is lugging and not shifting up as needed when in V4.

IF I keep this truck (and I'm looking at 3/4 or 1 tons), I am going to get it tuned to remove V4 mode under 70kmh or so. I don't mind it on the freeway, but it annoys me at slower speeds.

I do kinda wish I had the auto start/stop though. I've rented vehicles with it and, after the surprise the first time, found they work fine. But I've not had long term use of one.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #83
mwemaxxowner

My buddy says that it feels like his truck is trying to resist going into v8 mode and starts lugging in v4, then almost shudders slightly as it switches over. He says it's more apparent when he's towing. He said it's only a minor gripe and he still loves his truck.

I didn't say any of that to mean it as a stab against the Chevrolet, his truck is awesome. I merely meant it to say that they are all trying this sort of stuff and they all have their quirks. I'm sure none of the manufacturers really want to add this stuff.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #84
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
My buddy says that it feels like his truck is trying to resist going into v8 mode and starts lugging in v4, then almost shudders slightly as it switches over. He says it's more apparent when he's towing. He said it's only a minor gripe and he still loves his truck.

I didn't say any of that to mean it as a stab against the Chevrolet, his truck is awesome. I merely meant it to say that they are all trying this sort of stuff and they all have their quirks. I'm sure none of the manufacturers really want to add this stuff.
Chrysler had a similar "cylinder deactivation system" in their vehicles years ago. If I remember correctly, there was a warning in the owner's manual to switch the system off before towing to prevent engine damage....

Maybe GM has "perfected the system" and locking it out when towing is no longer needed... I'd suggest you mention to your buddy that he might want to check his owner's manual to see if there's a similar warning about towing with cylinder deactivation on his truck..... Might save him an engine change just after the warranty expires !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #85
mwemaxxowner

There is no way to turn it off.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #86
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

My 2018 Silverado has that cylinder deactivation. I'm not usually a fan of such technology, but if it wasn't indicated on the display that it was running on 4 or 8 cylinders, you wouldn't be able to tell. I've found the switch into and out of cylinder deactivation to be unnoticeable.
The best thing is that I'm still amazed at the fuel economy this thing gets, both with and without a trailer behind it.

I think the biggest thing when buying a 1/2 ton pickup for towing is you need to educate yourself on the tow options you have available with each model.
I had a selection of 3.07, 3.23, 3.42, and 3.73 axle ratios.
You need to throw the percentage of time you'll be towing into your decision too. No use running around with low gears when you don't need to. The difference is obvious in your fuel economy on one end and towing ability on the other. DONT just buy the pickup and decide to live with whatever gears are in it! This is the most important detail of your new truck.
I ended up selecting the 3.42 axle ratio. It seems like a good compromise that has enough grunt for my 4700 pound trailer as well as great mileage.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #87
LFitzgerald

Any suggestions as to what mid size vehicle I should use to pull 2008 Keystone Outback 21RS. I will only be driving it to campground one time (renting seasonal) about 3000 miles from where I live. Cannot/would not, afford a new vehicle... and don't want diesel. New to this, so appreciate any suggestions. ... Regards, Linda
LFitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:54 PM   #88
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFitzgerald View Post
Any suggestions as to what mid size vehicle I should use to pull 2008 Keystone Outback 21RS. I will only be driving it to campground one time (renting seasonal) about 3000 miles from where I live. Cannot/would not, afford a new vehicle... and don't want diesel. New to this, so appreciate any suggestions. ... Regards, Linda
I suggest a half ton truck with a receiver fastened or welded to the frame with other than the base engine. I had a 2013 Ford F150 with the base V6 that would not have been happy pulling your prospective trailer. I would personally look for a 5 liter plus V8 gas (no turbo) with a trailer tow package.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:08 AM   #89
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFitzgerald View Post
That 21RS is a neat unit! Well equipped for family campouts. My Son and Daughter-in Law just bought one to travel with their two children.
It weighs about 4500 pounds, which puts it in the range of a 1/2 ton pickup or large SUV like a Tahoe, Suburban, or Expedition.
I personally draw the line at only half of what the vehicle manufacturer claims for tow capacity when using it to tow an RV. Even though the tow vehicle can handle a certain trailer weight, RVs tend to be more top heavy and have more surface area than some other towing loads.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #90
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
There is no way to turn it off.
You kind of have 2 options to disable it.

Note that it is still enabled when in T/H mode (which I wish that would disable it).

Easiest is to shift into M5 (or M7 or M9 depending on the tranny) and that will lock out V4 mode as well as top overdrive gear. I do this around town a fair bit (where O/D won't matter).

Other than that there are tunes and/or devices that can lock it out.Range device will kill V4 mode while plugged in. With a tune you could disable it under a certain speed, which I may do if I keep the truck.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote