Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2018, 03:30 AM   #21
notanlines

Steve, Prophetstown IS a nice little town. A slice right out of the Americana pie. Just far enough from Moline (the big city) so you can enjoy the benefits of the city while also the peace of mind of a small town.
I guess you've heard of Erie Campground, I believe near you off Erie Road by the Rock River? Come on up they said....don't worry about the bridge they said....stay close to the middle they said. We had to back our Raptor out in the mud for about 400 yards and then go to the KOA. But we did enjoy "loose meat sandwiches" while in the Moline area. I think they were called Maid-Rite. We would be glad to go back, but not to Erie RV Park.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:29 AM   #22
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"Our home insurance requires we have someone check our house every 48 hours" I heard that from another poster awhile back. Is that just a Saskatchewan thing, or all the provinces?
I also wonder if that isn't just a good recommendation rather than a condition of acceptance.
That's interesting, not that way here in Illinois,, at last that I know of
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:19 AM   #23
Local150

Quote:
Steve, Prophetstown IS a nice little town. A slice right out of the Americana pie. Just far enough from Moline (the big city) so you can enjoy the benefits of the city while also the peace of mind of a small town.
I guess you've hear of Erie Campground, I believe near you off Erie Road by the Rock River? Come on up they said....don't worry about the bridge they said....stay close to the middle they said. We had to back our Raptor out in the mud for about 400 yards and then go to the KOA. But we did enjoy "loose meat sandwiches" while in the Moline area. I think they were called Maid-Rite. We would be glad to go back, but not to Erie RV Park.
We have a pretty nice state park here also,, been a little rough on it this year as flooded 3 times.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:20 AM   #24
Local150

Quote:
I guess you've hear of Erie Campground, I believe near you off Erie Road by the Rock River? Come on up they said....don't worry about the bridge they said....stay close to the middle they said. We had to back our Raptor out in the mud for about 400 yards and then go to the KOA. But we did enjoy "loose meat sandwiches" while in the Moline area. I think they were called Maid-Rite. We would be glad to go back, but not to Erie RV Park.
And oh yes,,,, love those maid rites
Old 11-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #25
66joej

Quote:
"Our home insurance requires we have someone check our house every 48 hours" I heard that from another poster awhile back. Is that just a Saskatchewan thing, or all the provinces?
I also wonder if that isn't just a good recommendation rather than a condition of acceptance.
Jim might be a Canadian thing, Here in BC our policy says if away from the house for an extended period have residence checked every 72 hrs. You must remember for the most part stuff freezes real quick here. Like the saying goes we get 11 months of winter and 1 month of poor skiing!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #26
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Jim might be a Canadian thing, Here in BC our policy says if away from the house for an extended period have residence checked every 72 hrs. You must remember for the most part stuff freezes real quick here. Like the saying goes we get 11 months of winter and 1 month of poor skiing!
Now that's funny
Old 11-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

I have a Honeywell wifi t'stat. You can set it to alarm you if it's above or below your setpoints. Every month I get an email with the energy usage (in hours)of heating and cooling as well as an average outside temp for the month. Love it in the summer as we set cooling to 85 of 87 and then turn it down with the phone app on our way home so it's nice and cool when we walk in.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:05 AM   #28
Harleydodge

Quote:

It may well be a "Canadian" thing.
My policy requires someone to physically look into my home every 3 days if we are away for longer than that.
Not sure how they could ever prove that someone wasn't, should I have an issue, but it's something I keep in mind, should I ever have to make a claim

As for the thermostat question, I use a Nest, and like it.
We also use "Blink" security cameras which also work very well for us.
If one wanted to get "fancy" you could always point one of the cameras at a thermometer within your house and look at the temp any time you wanted.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #29
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I have a Honeywell wifi t'stat. You can set it to alarm you if it's above or below your setpoints. Every month I get an email with the energy usage (in hours)of heating and cooling as well as an average outside temp for the month. Love it in the summer as we set cooling to 85 of 87 and then turn it down with the phone app on our way home so it's nice and cool when we walk in.
I like the sounds of that
Old 11-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #30
jamtracy

Nest Thermostat works for us.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #31
FlyingChief

We have used a Nest thermostat (and smoke/CO detectors) for many years. It connects to the home wifi and I can access it at any time via the internet on my phone, my tablet, or my laptop while traveling. Available at Home Depot, Lowes, or on-line. Installation was super easy.
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #32
WJQ

Spending for Peace of Mind

I live in the mountains of Utah where it can get really cold. Just this week we were at 11 F. We have two furnaces and 4 heating zones. Thus, I have 4 thermostats. As others have mentioned, good quality thermostats with fresh batteries have a very high reliability but you still have to trust them. If you have one thermostat or one furnace, the downside of a system failure can be costly.

I replace one of my "older" thermostats and installed an Emerson Sensi about four years ago. It was their first model. It connects to your WIFI. The Nest and Ecobee work similarly but cost more.

You can then look at the house temperature via an app on your phone/tablet and change settings as well. For a little more than $100 (assuming you do it yourself), you get a warm fuzzy feeling that the house is as you left it. If your WIFI fails, the thermostat will still follow its plan. If I recall correctly, if anything else fails, it defaults to 70 F. If your furnace fails for any reason, your app can tell you that you have a problem. Do you need it? Maybe not but it sure is nice.

At other times of the year when you are only gone for shorter times, we set back the temperature and hold to 53 F. The same occurs in the summer with the air conditioner. Then, when we return, we can start to warm/cool the house when we are about an hour away via the app.

So, I wouldn't place the importance before food or medicine, but somewhere pretty high on my list.
WJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #33
Laredo240MK2015

I have been using a Honeywell thermostat for several years. It is internet viewable. It can be adjusted from anywhere in the world. There are several brands that will do the same thing.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #34
Takingthe5th

I have met two people who are more security-minded and they have their thermostat within range of one of their cameras. They call a neighbor if needed.

And I have a friend who had a neighbor watching the house but who never went inside. The furnace quit and pipes froze.
Takingthe5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #35
Ccsluke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Getting ready to head to Florida in about a month. Always have had the neighbor check my house . But thinking of installing a thermostat that I can control and check from my phone. Any advice and suggestions ?
I’ve been using the NEST smart thermostat for a couple of years now. They cost around $250.00 and the free APP you’ll need to control it remotely is very user friendly & simple to use. Unless you’re tech savvy, I’d suggest getting the thermostat professionally installed and programmed. The installer should also assist with getting the APP on your smart phone and setting it up for remote operation. After that, it’s a “cake walk”!
Ccsluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #36
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Getting ready to head to Florida in about a month. Always have had the neighbor check my house . But thinking of installing a thermostat that I can control and check from my phone. Any advice and suggestions ?

I own a residential HVAC business and recommend any one who leaves their home unattended for extended periods of time in sub-freezing temperatures have an automatic means of getting a notice when the interior temperature gets below whatever temperature they have it set at. The potential for extreme damage to your home is simply too great to risk it.

For the folks who say their neighbor/son/daughter/Uncle Harry is going to check it every day/week/month and that's enough, you're putting a relationship you have with someone at risk. How are you and they going to feel about it when the house freezes, your pipes burst and you have a couple of floors flooded?

The couple hundred bucks you save by not having some sort of active monitoring system is a false economy. How much is your homeowner's deductible? Probably more than the investment in some sort of monitoring system. What if you can't live in your home for a couple of months while it's being rebuilt?

To the OP, do you have a forced air system or a hot water system? I would not recommend a NEST thermostat to anyone.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #37
Wilco

I have read the comments with interest in updating my home setup.

Originally I hung an outdoor thermometer across the room from one of my security cameras so I could monitor the house temperature while we are away in the winter. I would set the thermostat to 50F when we would leave during the winter.

Recently our homeowners insurance company gave us a Roost wifi leak detector that ties into our router. It also monitors the temperature and humidity at the detector with the ability to set max/min values. It will send an alarm to my smart phone if these are exceeded. I can log in from my smart phone to check the temperature in the house.

I am now considering installing a wifi enabled thermostat that will allow us to start warming up the house when we are a few hours away so we do not come home to a cold house.
2015 Catalina 33RETS
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #38
shermris

I use a Sensor Push gateway that allows me to monitor home temperature. I have a boiler with 4 zones and 4 thermostats. I set the thermostats to the temperature I want to maintain and just monitor the house temperature. Any failure to heat will not be solved by an adjustable wifi thermostat. You will want to be able to call someone to troubleshoot your heating problem.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 01:40 AM   #39
notanlines

Pitman, you took a good swipe at Nest thermostats but didn’t include a reason. We just have a few old Honeywell thermostats so I don’t have a dog in this fight (no WiFi when we’re gone) but I’m sure those that have one would like to know why, especially in that you seem to be a person who should know these things. Thanks.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #40
AbHDToyHauler

We have the Nest one (kids bought for us a few years ago). Works great and yes you can keep an eye on your place and adjust it accordingly. Also integrates with Wemo (wifi electrical controllers) so your lights go off and on by schedule (makes place looked lived in) etc. For my wife and I has been very nice to have.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote