Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #21
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
Fair enough. It rides good otherwise. Even over potholes and rough road at slow speed you don’t get that herky jerky feeing as the trailer tries to push and pull the truck. I think Ford got the suspension pretty much right on these F250’s. As I mentioned on the other thread I have 3000 lbs in the bed several times a day for work. Not a lot of squat and barley on the overrides. It sure airbags or Sumo Springs would be worth it even in that situation. Was just hopping there was a definitive solution that would be worth the investment.
I installed SuperSprings SSS-3 overload spring bumpers.
https://www.supersprings.com/shop/sss-3/

Like you said above, the factory overload springs barely engage with a load in the bed. This device cause the factory overload springs to engage much sooner, so they actually work the way the truck manufacturer designed.

My rear truck bed used to drop two and a half inches when the Montana was hitched. Overoad springs barely were engaged. Now it drops about one half inch. Truck rides great! Less money than timberins.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #22
rocket88

Bilstein shocks. They may not eliminate the problem but they will definitely help minimize it. I have put them on every truck that I have owned since a '98 Z71 Silverado I had that came with them from the factory. They are generally firmer than stock shocks but are great at absorbing bumps.

I've traveled that stretch of road between Des Moines and Omaha about a half dozen times. Don't recall it being bouncy but it is an extremely boring stretch of road. The cops patrol the last few miles before Omaha heavily.
rocket88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:10 PM   #23
Frosty46

WE have encountered many horrible roads in the US. Some like in NY were insanely bad harming our rig. WE remember many horrid roads in your region that were most likely constructed by the same ignorant contractor. SD and Nebraska share the bad road blues with you. The lack of proper leveling and expansion crack construction methods makes for that wash board effect that harms any who travel them. WE simply do not travel them any longer opting for better pathways and areas to visit. Slowing down to a crawl seems to work but damn...........
Frosty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:25 AM   #24
Reeds

2017 Ford F350 6.7 Power Stroke pulling an Alpine 3400RS, 37'. I put on Firestone airbags with the wireless electric air compressor and love it. I have an everyday setting at 10 psi and a pulling setting at 45 psi, and the difference is amazing. There are still some bad roads out there, but when you ride level it makes a big difference.
Reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #25
skmct

For every action there is a reaction. The front suspension is often overlooked. The front bump stops are part of the front spring rate. The increase the spring rate toward the end of the front compression. If you look at the design of them and check the complete stroke of the front suspension you will see what I mean. I helped my Silverado by adding off road bump stops which are much stiffer they use them on the Z71 package. Ford also offers off road packages. It might help to look into it.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #26
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
Bilstein shocks. They may not eliminate the problem but they will definitely help minimize it. I have put them on every truck that I have owned since a '98 Z71 Silverado I had that came with them from the factory. They are generally firmer than stock shocks but are great at absorbing bumps.

I've traveled that stretch of road between Des Moines and Omaha about a half dozen times. Don't recall it being bouncy but it is an extremely boring stretch of road. The cops patrol the last few miles before Omaha heavily.
Bilstiens went on the first week I owned it. Oddly both passenger shocks were shot. Not sure if the previous owner had to drive over a rough patch on the right hand side of the road everyday or what.
Regardless it was a 100% change for the better. Rear end would hop on every bump. Now it’s pretty smooth. Well as smooth as a 3/4 ton can be. Lol
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:08 PM   #27
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I installed SuperSprings SSS-3 overload spring bumpers.
https://www.supersprings.com/shop/sss-3/

Like you said above, the factory overload springs barely engage with a load in the bed. This device cause the factory overload springs to engage much sooner, so they actually work the way the truck manufacturer designed.

My rear truck bed used to drop two and a half inches when the Montana was hitched. Overoad springs barely were engaged. Now it drops about one half inch. Truck rides great! Less money than timberins.
I saw those. And it’s easy to see how effective they would be before spending the money on them. Very redneck but I could wedge a 2x4 block between the overload and overload stop.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #28
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmct View Post
For every action there is a reaction. The front suspension is often overlooked. The front bump stops are part of the front spring rate. The increase the spring rate toward the end of the front compression. If you look at the design of them and check the complete stroke of the front suspension you will see what I mean. I helped my Silverado by adding off road bump stops which are much stiffer they use them on the Z71 package. Ford also offers off road packages. It might help to look into it.
Truck has the camper and snowplow package so it has the stiffest springs available...
Old 10-21-2019, 07:37 PM   #29
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
I saw those. And it’s easy to see how effective they would be before spending the money on them. Very redneck but I could wedge a 2x4 block between the overload and overload stop.
If you want it to ride like a buck board add the 2x4s.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:47 PM   #30
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you want it to ride like a buck board add the 2x4s.
Lol. So one vote to engage the overloads sooner, one vote for not. You guys are not helping. Lol

To be honest we are not talking apples to apples here. Several responding have FW’s.
As I mentioned the front wheel well measurement is spot on loaded and unloaded. Loaded it sits perfectly level. I can put a level in the bed rail of the truck and one on the A frame of the trailer and both are level. I’m afraid if I add bags or Sumo Springs or anything else it’s going to change the entire dynamic and I’ll have to readjust the hitch.

This spring I’m going to get decent tires one range higher and I’m hopping there will be some great Black Friday deals and can pick up a Morryde suspension. For all I know those two things might smooth out the entire package.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

FWIW, here's what I think is happening:

As you travel down the road, the distance between axles/tires in contact with the road surface create an "up/down" movement. As the tow vehicle tires are moving in one direction, the trailer tires are moving in the opposite direction. As the tow vehicle front tires are moving in one direction, the rear axle tires are moving in the opposite direction. All of that is caused by the spacing of the joints in the road and there is NOTHING that you can adjust to change the distance between road joints.

When you add the "spring tension" of the WD hitch to the mix, it causes a "rebound effect" that's set up by the road joint spacing. You "can" adjust some of that out, but likely will cause other problems (steering, braking, etc)...

You've got the "best shocks available" so not much to do there.

As I see it, (again FWIW) you can "chase a fix" until your wallet is empty and probably won't find a fix.... Trust me when I say that when I started towing back in 1965, people were complaining about "bouncing boobs" and they are still complaining about "bouncing boobs"... You'd think, if there was a fix, it would have been publicized and sold as a "boob bounce prevention kit" long ago....

The issue is road surface/vehicle axle measurements, not comfort engineering...

If you can fix it, you'll make a million by packaging it and making it available to every RV owner that has a WD hitch. Until then, probably better off avoiding the roads that make "your vehicle measurements uncomfortable" and enduring those few trips that cant be re-routed...... Again, FWIW.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

The Francis Scott Key Bridge south of Balt. on 695 does it for our rig. The spacing on the expansion joints are just right for the front of the truck to dive as the trailer axles come up with the hitch as a fulcrum.
Reminds me of the horse rides that used to be in front of the supermarkets when I was a kid. You just had to hold "until the dime ran out".
Wow, really showed my age on that one!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The Francis Scott Key Bridge south of Balt. on 695 does it for our rig. The spacing on the expansion joints are just right for the front of the truck to dive as the trailer axles come up with the hitch as a fulcrum.
Reminds me of the horse rides that used to be in front of the supermarkets when I was a kid. You just had to hold "until the dime ran out".
Wow, really showed my age on that one!
If those expansion joints were a foot further apart or 6 inches closer together, chances are YOUR rig wouldn't "boobie bouce" but the rig that's slightly longer or slightly shorter than yours would likely "inherit your problem"..... It is what it is....

As for that "penny ride on the mechanical horse in front of the super market" it was "terrifying as a 3 year old" not so much as a 6 year old.... BUT: age doesn't make the "boobie bounce" any less frustrating. In fact, the older I get, the more I try to avoid those stretches of road that make my rig "un-inhabitable at any speed".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If those expansion joints were a foot further apart or 6 inches closer together, chances are YOUR rig wouldn't "boobie bouce" but the rig that's slightly longer or slightly shorter than yours would likely "inherit your problem"..... It is what it is....

As for that "penny ride on the mechanical horse in front of the super market" it was "terrifying as a 3 year old" not so much as a 6 year old.... BUT: age doesn't make the "boobie bounce" any less frustrating. In fact, the older I get, the more I try to avoid those stretches of road that make my rig "un-inhabitable at any speed".....
But the look on peoples faces going by wondering if were going to bounce off the bridge and "go for a swim" are priceless.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:25 AM   #35
notanlines

John, John, John, "sold as a "boob bounce prevention kit" long ago" what real men among us would spend good money to prevent the magical 'boob-bounce?' Do we have to start collecting man-cards?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:46 AM   #36
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
John, John, John, "sold as a "boob bounce prevention kit" long ago" what real men among us would spend good money to prevent the magical 'boob-bounce?' Do we have to start collecting man-cards?
I was thinking the same thing, glad you said it.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:11 AM   #37
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Tsk, tsk, tsk. So painful.
Name:   mancard.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  9.7 KB

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

OK guys..... OK OK OK !!!!!

Having spent many (maybe too many) days in an exam room with "naked human bodies" that come in all shapes and sizes, I can attest to the simple fact that there are "man card holding humans" with larger boobs than many "woman card holders".... Yeap, just the way "adipose tissue adheres to the walls of fat cells"... (or simply put, the way boobies grow).....

As for man cards, at my age....... about all taking it would do is ???? Well, damn, I can't think of anything right now, I'll get back with you when I remember why it's in my wallet.... That's WALLET, not "murse"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-23-2019, 08:50 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Oh John, you the old saying "the memory is always the second thing to go".