Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2019, 04:36 AM   #1
Jayef
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3
Walking on the roof

I have a 2019 Bullet 243BHS and was considering getting a cover for winterizing my unit, but this would entail me going up on the roof to do so. Can the roof of these ultralights support the weight of me doing so? My other alternative is getting a giant tarp to do the job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
__________________

Jayef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:56 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 1,720
There are several posts, some very recent, on this subject. It's generally thought, and Keystone's consistent answer that if the camper does not have a ladder from the factory then it's not a "walkable roof". Many people will use a couple of pieces of plywood or rigid foam to disperse the weight and walk on the roof.
Do not use a standard tarp like the 'blue plastic tarps" to cover your camper. They do not "breath" i.e. exchange air and will build up damaging heat and moisture.
__________________

__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:08 AM   #3
66joej
Senior Member
 
66joej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: radium hot springs bc
Posts: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayef View Post
I have a 2019 Bullet 243BHS and was considering getting a cover for winterizing my unit, but this would entail me going up on the roof to do so. Can the roof of these ultralights support the weight of me doing so? My other alternative is getting a giant tarp to do the job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Go to one of the larger RV dealers in your area and ask what they cover the hundred or so RVs on the lot with.
You may be surprised when they say nothing. YMMV
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:29 AM   #4
ronheater70
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Greensboro
Posts: 55
This still Baffles me.. Arent you responsible to keep roof sealed up good, which requires periodic insepction of all roof structures, cap seam, etc.. IE... walking on roof? I mean if you get a leak, can warranty not be denied if you havent done proper upkeep and maintenance? I just can not fathom not being able to walk on the roof. Yea O.k, plywood spreads out the weight, but mishandle that and a corner damages something so then what?
Mine has a ladder anyway but its my first one with a ladder, everything prior I had a 25' step ladder I used to get on the roof for cleaning, etc..Shoot im on my roof probably 8-10 times a year.
__________________
2019 369BHS
Towed with 2018 Ram 3500 Cummins LB CC 4x4 G56
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
This still Baffles me.. Arent you responsible to keep roof sealed up good, which requires periodic insepction of all roof structures, cap seam, etc.. IE... walking on roof? I mean if you get a leak, can warranty not be denied if you havent done proper upkeep and maintenance? I just can not fathom not being able to walk on the roof. Yea O.k, plywood spreads out the weight, but mishandle that and a corner damages something so then what?
Mine has a ladder anyway but its my first one with a ladder, everything prior I had a 25' step ladder I used to get on the roof for cleaning, etc..Shoot im on my roof probably 8-10 times a year.
Round off the corners with a jigsaw. Some folks use rigid foam as it doesn't have as much potential for damage and is lighter.
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM   #6
Callie Spillane
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Monson
Posts: 9
I have a 2019 Springdale mini 17 foot and my roof has a soft spot on the roof in the front left facing the front of the camper and a bad leak. I contacted the dealer and they said the roof has no warranty! I said we have had the trailer for 4 months and had several leaks around the camper. First on had a puddle on the kitchen counter, the stove exhaust vent out side had a nice gap on top letting in water. I sealed it. another on the side wall near a window so I sealed all outside gaps I could find. Then the roof leaked on the shelf above the bed when it rained real heavy. Thats when I went on the roof and noticed the dealer did seal new white sealer in several places. So I wonder if the dealer walked all over the roof and it split one seam and created the roof leak. So the Dealer said it would be 4500 plus parts another 1500 to repair this soft spot! He said we would have to make a claim with the insurance company. I have a 1000.00 dollar deductible on the insurance! Not a good feeling about this camper. I bought a new camper to avoid problems like this. Guess I was wrong. I think for that amount of money we will fix it our self. I am a handy guy almost 60 and I will fix it dam it. Our name on the post is the puppy we have Callie she is a Cavapoo 10 months old!
Callie Spillane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM   #7
66joej
Senior Member
 
66joej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: radium hot springs bc
Posts: 1,892
I think the accepted time frame for a dealer warranty on a roof is 6 mos. Don't know if this is universal with all Keystone dealers or not.
__________________

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 9,835
When you purchase a new unit, the roof warranty is for the actual membrane. The seams and seals are generally considered “required maintenance” that the customer is responsible for after 90 days from date of purchase. Brake adjustment is the same.
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #9
ronheater70
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Greensboro
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Round off the corners with a jigsaw. Some folks use rigid foam as it doesn't have as much potential for damage and is lighter.
What about the risk climbing up and down ladders with large pieces of plywood in one hand, pulling it up with a rope would be an option I guess but you know you would need to be on the roof without the plywood for that to happen.
I have to be honest this is one of the most outrageous thing I can imagine from a manufacturer these days. Its just outright stupidity. I mean if you are never expexted to maintain the roof, then sure. My level of respect for Keystone has plummeted after this enlightenment.
__________________
2019 369BHS
Towed with 2018 Ram 3500 Cummins LB CC 4x4 G56
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 16,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
What about the risk climbing up and down ladders with large pieces of plywood in one hand, pulling it up with a rope would be an option I guess but you know you would need to be on the roof without the plywood for that to happen.
I have to be honest this is one of the most outrageous thing I can imagine from a manufacturer these days. Its just outright stupidity. I mean if you are never expexted to maintain the roof, then sure. My level of respect for Keystone has plummeted after this enlightenment.
No, what's "outrageous" is consumers (you and me) that insist RV manufacturers build 31' travel trailers that weigh less than 4000 pounds, then, when they do, complain, "The roof's too thin to walk on"....... Having cake and eating it too is a pipe dream.

Expecting any manufacturer to build XLite trailers that are built like heavy weight trailers is "the outright stupidity" you describe... Or maybe: "pipe dream #2......
__________________

__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roof

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×