Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2019, 04:55 AM   #1
comfun1

Problems getting in and out of bed!

We bought a new to us 2014 Springdale 247. We are getting ready for our first trip and while making the bed we discovered it is going to be difficult getting in and out of. If we put the pillows at the front it is difficult to get under the cabinet that goes over the bed from one closet to the other without hitting head, scooting way down in bed first or being a contortionist. We decided to make the bed with our feet toward the front of the fifthwheel and now I am afraid, without a wall or headboard,my pillow will fall out. I might add that being old I do lots of tossing and turning and getting up for bathroom breaks.

We are not sure which way to sleep and wondering if anyone else has had this problem?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:06 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
We bought a new to us 2014 Springdale 247. We are getting ready for our first trip and while making the bed we discovered it is going to be difficult getting in and out of. If we put the pillows at the front it is difficult to get under the cabinet that goes over the bed from one closet to the other without hitting head, scooting way down in bed first or being a contortionist. We decided to make the bed with our feet toward the front of the fifthwheel and now I am afraid, without a wall or headboard,my pillow will fall out. I might add that being old I do lots of tossing and turning and getting up for bathroom breaks.

We are not sure which way to sleep and wondering if anyone else has had this problem?
The first thing we did when we got out 5ver was to swap the RV queen for a residential queen we had in our previous trailer. The residential is about 16" thick as opposed to the 4" thick of the original 2002 Keystone mattress. That puts our overhead cabinet about 16" over our head and we also bang it now and again as you just can't remember to duck first thing in the AM. I was thinking about getting rid of the overhead which is fairly useless at the head of the bed but the wall behind would likely show the battle scars. Just wanted you to know you are not alone!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:56 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Had this issue at first with ours, especially after replacing the useless "sliver" of an OEM mattress. It only took a few goose eggs to "train" myself to sort of "roll" out while bending the torso and getting the feet down on the floor. Maybe a thin piece of foam under the cabinet secured with command strips (the don't leave marks when removed) would help to "ease the pain" during the transition.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
Snoking

We all learn lessons over time. One that we have learned buying boats and RVs is look pass the shiny stuff and examine the bones. Sit in the chairs, dinette, couch, lay on the bed, and check for storage. Check the galley/kitchen for functionality. Try to look behind and inside areas to see how will it is built.

Given all that, looking at pictures of that model, you seem at have a good amount of overhead clearance at the head of the bed. You just need to learn how to scoot in and out of the bed.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Just the dynamics of "stuffing" (yes, stuffing) everything that's in a 15x20 S&B bedroom into a 7.5x9 RV bedroom makes it extremely likely that people moving around in that small space are "going to bump into more things". Making accommodations (where possible) and accepting the limitations that can't be changed is a part of living in a confined space. I like to sleep on my side with my arm hanging off the edge of the bed. In our Cougar, there's a "cabinet wall crammed right next to the bed" so if I were to try to sleep in that position, my nose would be pressed against the cabinet and my arm would be buried under the mattress. So, I've learned not to roll over onto that side and expect a "comfortable sleep position". It ain't gonna happen....

I'd suggest that "it is what it is" and even though you can make some "dramatic changes" that most of those changes will come with problems of their own. Space is the issue, adaption to available space (IMHO) is the key. Sometimes a "perfect answer to make it as comfortable as home" just isn't available in the confinement of an RV.

It's sort of like, "I always do 25 jumping jacks as soon as I get out of bed every morning".... Ain't happening in any fifth wheel bedroom and if you move to the lower level where there's enough headroom, if you've got a "sandwich floor" you'll be complaining of "squishy, soft floors" before the first camping season is over.... Sometimes, you can't do what you do at home in the available space and construction of an RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:35 AM   #6
Northofu1

I have the same problem, I am looking at different floor plans. I want a larger bedroom and bathroom. I don't care about the middle of the trailer lol
There is a fall rv show coming in a couple of weeks as well as I have been looking for a used 5th wheel.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

Interestingly enough, the 2018 version of our model had a shelf across the front above the bed similar to yours. Our 2019 model didn’t have the shelf and I was thinking I might add one myself, but now I am thinking that might not be a good idea!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
LHaven

I'd be interested to know what the pillow-side headroom is in that model. In our current Cougar, we have the same setup, but it's 32" off the mattress, even the fat mattress we upgraded to. We've never hit our heads, probably because we just don't sit up, since it doesn't do anything to get our feet on the floor (the nightstands run for the top 3/4 of the mattress). Or maybe we just developed the habit of oonching our way down towards the foot from our last RV (which also had the overhead cabinets).

Now, we have two side wardrobes that bottom out less than a foot off the mattress, and we expected we'd be cracking our heads on those regularly, so we bought some adhesive baby bumpers before our first trip. Oddly, we haven't even come close to hitting those once. We have, however, both cracked our heads on the kitchen cabinet bottom above the badly-lit drawers, so at least we got to use one of the bumpers.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

Post #4 said it all. I have also mentioned the same thing. Quit looking at the color of the interior for a moment. If it might be the lay out you like. Sit in every chair, lay on bed, sit on toilet, stand in shower, open doors and cabinets, now your learning what it will be like using the RV.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #10
DrSmart1

Hi Comfun1. If you're handy with wood or know someone that is, think about making a headboard for the foot of the bed. 'L' brackets fastened to the panel under the mattress in 3 locations for strength. One at each side and 1 in the middle so they're not under your pillows. All positioned to mount a headboard panel across the three brackets. Fashion the headboard to be high enough to support your pillows but low enough to be non intrusive during the day. Round the top corners to prevent injuries if bumped. Finish the headboard as desired. This is assuming there's enough wood structure in the bed panel and framing to screw into.

Cheers
Dave

Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
skmct

Your problem is one of the things we discovered.Is a problem with all the low profile fifth wheels that we looked at when shopping for a fithwheel
So we ended up looking at units with bedroom slides .which at the time we bought where a little longer and higher priced. But we have been very happy and comfortable with our HC 318 re.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:39 AM   #12
atkinsb3

When people have something(s) in their RV they don't like, I've seen the response something to the effect of "that should have been noticed prior to buying the RV".

Though that is true, on the flip side the time you get to spend in it at the dealer and researching on-line vs. actually camping/living in it are two (ok, three) different things.

Being a first time buyer vs. having previous experience owning an RV and actually knowing what to look for also makes a difference.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #13
comfun1

We finally took our camper out to see how just to see how everything worked. We went to our local lake about ten miles. We ended up sleeping with our head at the front where it was supposed to be and with a little practice and getting used to it wasn't much problem at all. We used all the lights, fans, stove, range top, microwave, water heater, fridge, etc., everything worked fine. We even figured out how to play a DVD which was good since it rained on us most of the weekend. Our entertainment consisted of walks around the campground between rain showers and watching other campers fish. Even had coffee by the campfire Saturday morning before the rains began again.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #14
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsb3 View Post
When people have something(s) in their RV they don't like, I've seen the response something to the effect of "that should have been noticed prior to buying the RV".

Though that is true, on the flip side the time you get to spend in it at the dealer and researching on-line vs. actually camping/living in it are two (ok, three) different things.

Being a first time buyer vs. having previous experience owning an RV and actually knowing what to look for also makes a difference.
Even experience doesn't help, unless one is a mechanic or whatever. I paid significant attention to the areas that had been problems in my previous rig, and with which I was therefore familiar. But the new rig came with lots of features that weren't in the old rig, and with which it was impossible for me to have any experience at all.

I have owned several homes, yet when I prepare to buy a new one, I hire a professional home inspector. Ditto for cars, which I have checked out by a mechanic, though this is never an on-site service. Sounds like there is a niche for such an independent service for RVs.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #15
atkinsb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
We finally took our camper out to see how just to see how everything worked. We went to our local lake about ten miles. We ended up sleeping with our head at the front where it was supposed to be and with a little practice and getting used to it wasn't much problem at all. We used all the lights, fans, stove, range top, microwave, water heater, fridge, etc., everything worked fine. We even figured out how to play a DVD which was good since it rained on us most of the weekend. Our entertainment consisted of walks around the campground between rain showers and watching other campers fish. Even had coffee by the campfire Saturday morning before the rains began again.
Sounds like a good weekend to me! Glad everything worked out.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Every independent RV repair service in this area does offer a "used RV inspection service" as a part of their business dealings. Most are around $750 for an inspection with a report of the RV condition, some as high as $1500 with "basic repairs completed during the inspection" (wheel bearing repack, brake inspection/adjustment, roof sealing).

That will provide some assurance that the RV is functional and not damaged, but it won't do anything to help with the new owner's "problems that weren't seen"..... Things like this aren't covered by ANY RV inspection, whether it be an independent inspection or a "new RV PDI".....

1. The light switch is behind the door and not convenient
2. The sofa is uncomfortable
3. The upper cabinets are too high and DW needs a step stool to get into them
4. The microwave and water heater can't be used if the air conditioner is running
5. I bump my head on the over-bed cabinet when getting into/out of bed
6. There's not enough room between the mattress and the under-bed storage area
7. The water heater bypass valve is hard to get to
8. The main cabin furnace vents are in the wrong place and the DW can't put down a throw rug so we don't have to walk on cold floors
9. The bedroom is too cold when both air conditioners are running and too hot when only the main cabin A/C is on.

None of these 9 things (and so many more) are not "problems with the RV," rather they are "problems with the way the new owner wants to use the RV.".....

As for "being rushed" and not able to spend enough time in the trailer before having to make a decision: If you (anyone, regardless of who) allows a salesman to manipulate you that way, then it's not just "shopping for an RV" that makes you vulnerable, you can easily get persuaded to try today's special at your favorite restaurant, even though you don't like meatloaf......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #17
jsb5717

Ahhh...the RV life. Most of this is simply an issue of experience. If this is your first RV then you'll be making lots of notes on what you prefer in your next rig. For a lot of us who have been RV-ing for over 35 years and have owned multiple towables, it's much easier to know what to look for when buying the next one.

Forums like this are great for knowing what to watch for, what to do, what not to do, and how to solve issues..and you can learn from the experience of others. But personal experience is the best teacher for the kind of space YOU prefer. One size does NOT fit all. So go to school as enjoy the ride.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed