Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #41
duh1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Panhandle of Florida
Posts: 49
Check out dodge.death wobble! It's real and not fun. Love my Chevy 2500 diesel
__________________

duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh1 View Post
Look up dodge ram death rattle. Scared the heck out of me in my son's ram 3500 diesel. Thought the right front tire had gone. This is a known problem that can be a real b!!! To deal with. I love my Chevy 2500 diesel. Put 80,000 miles on
It pulling 6500 lbs and it is a dream.

Heard about and read about the "Dodge death wobble" for many years. Oddly, I've driven countless Dodge/Ram vehicles and never experienced it. I did however possibly induce it once while building up/lifting etc. a Dodge Ramcharger. During the mod process I did actually encounter some pretty severe front end gyrations. Turns out the replacement of the ball joints, track bar, tie rod ends, drag bar and power steering box completely fixed it. Drove like it was on rails on 35s or 37s. The parts replaced were already on the replace list because they had been run through the wringer by the previous owner. Here is a little excerpt from an article about the "death wobble";

Itís a phenomenon that can rear its ugly head on any solid front axle vehicle, but perhaps no other automobile (other than Jeeps) experiences it more than second and third-generation Dodge Rams. Itís called death wobble and it can give even the most seasoned drivers a case of the heebie jeebies. While the verdict is still out on the exact cause of death wobble, most instances can be traced back to worn out or damaged steering and suspension components. This includes the track bar, steering stabilizer, tie rod, drag link and even ball joints. However, a front-end thatís out of alignment, loose fasteners, improperly balanced tires and even over-or-under-inflated tires can also contribute to this uncontrollable shaking of your steering wheel.

Seems to me, as I found, proper adjustment, maintenance and replacement of faulty parts pretty much eliminates it - guess that's why I've never had it.
__________________

__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 52 years
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 4x4 CC
2014 Cougar High Country 319RLS
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #43
rhagfo
Senior Member
 
rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Heard about and read about the "Dodge death wobble" for many years. Oddly, I've driven countless Dodge/Ram vehicles and never experienced it. I did however possibly induce it once while building up/lifting etc. a Dodge Ramcharger. During the mod process I did actually encounter some pretty severe front end gyrations. Turns out the replacement of the ball joints, track bar, tie rod ends, drag bar and power steering box completely fixed it. Drove like it was on rails on 35s or 37s. The parts replaced were already on the replace list because they had been run through the wringer by the previous owner. Here is a little excerpt from an article about the "death wobble";

Itís a phenomenon that can rear its ugly head on any solid front axle vehicle, but perhaps no other automobile (other than Jeeps) experiences it more than second and third-generation Dodge Rams. Itís called death wobble and it can give even the most seasoned drivers a case of the heebie jeebies. While the verdict is still out on the exact cause of death wobble, most instances can be traced back to worn out or damaged steering and suspension components. This includes the track bar, steering stabilizer, tie rod, drag link and even ball joints. However, a front-end thatís out of alignment, loose fasteners, improperly balanced tires and even over-or-under-inflated tires can also contribute to this uncontrollable shaking of your steering wheel.

Seems to me, as I found, proper adjustment, maintenance and replacement of faulty parts pretty much eliminates it - guess that's why I've never had it.
I had a 2gen Ram 2500 and never had an issue with death wobble in 80K miles. I currently have a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW and in15K of driving no issues. With both of there trucks drove over a very bad RR crossing at speed (60 mph) many times, and no issues.
The only vehicle I had a death wobble was a FORD! 1964 Econoline Van with a straight axle front end. The fix was new Kingpins.
__________________
Russ & Paula and Belle the Beagle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 14,000# GVWR (New TV)
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS 32í GVWR 12,360
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #44
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh1 View Post
Look up dodge ram death rattle. Scared the heck out of me in my son's ram 3500 diesel. Thought the right front tire had gone. This is a known problem that can be a real b!!! To deal with. I love my Chevy 2500 diesel. Put 80,000 miles on
It pulling 6500 lbs and it is a dream.
Look up any Ford truck forum & you'll find Ford has the very same "death wobble".
Drove several 4x4 Ford's at work that had that problem.
My son had a '05-06 3500 SRW 4x4 MegaCab with 287k miles, never had the wobble & had the engine overhauled after that many miles then some SOB ran him off the road a week later while pulling his 21' offshore boat, truck was totalled, boat not damaged.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 Redwood FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:27 AM   #45
mikz86ta
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Davie
Posts: 245
I had a 2014 Ram 1500 quad cab big Horn. Loved it!
5.7 Hemi, had a mild exhaust, S&B intake and a custom tune from Jay Greene. It was quick and towed well. Even with 3.21 differential , the 8speed trans made up for it with a great low end.
No issues. Bought it new.

I think the most issues people have you hear about are just the same as with other brands. There's bound to be a batch here and there with issues.
My girls 2013 F150 5.0 had more issues at same milage (0-50k range) than I did with the Ram. But
it's at 117k and still going welk.i
Sold my Ram 1500 at 65k miles due to the need of. A 3500 to tow with.
But I'd buy another one no probs
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #46
wiredgeorge
Senior Member
 
wiredgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mico
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I am amazed that some folks change trucks as often as babies diapers. I have had two Ram/Cummins 2500s since '94. My '94 was my favorite truck of all I have owned but for long trips the standard cab was not enough room and the completely mechanical 160 hp was not going to cut it as trailers got heavier. Sold it to a local landscaper who is still using it. My '04.5 is a quadcab (more room) and HO common rail electronic 325 hp 600 ftlb ( enough power for me) looks like it may outlive me.
Both trucks needed front end work at about 90k but aftermarket greaseable parts solved that and the '94 needed a beefed up torque converter at 110k.

Looking at the prices on new trucks and the experience I have had with mine I would go with Ram/Cummins again if I had to. JM2Ę, Hank



All heavy diesel engines cause front ends to give up the ghost at about 90K miles. Ford, Chevy, Ram, makes no difference unless the truck is driven on glassy smooth roads. I just changed out the entire front end at 140K miles on my Ford clunker and it probably should have been done quite awhile earlier. Front ends, EGR issues and DEF issues on the newer diesel beasts are all just part of the joy of ownership. The chug of the international diesel overcame my common sense! ARGH
__________________
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 CC 4WD 6.0L
2002 Keystone Cougar 278
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #47
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
All heavy diesel engines cause front ends to give up the ghost at about 90K miles. Ford, Chevy, Ram, makes no difference unless the truck is driven on glassy smooth roads. I just changed out the entire front end at 140K miles on my Ford clunker and it probably should have been done quite awhile earlier. Front ends, EGR issues and DEF issues on the newer diesel beasts are all just part of the joy of ownership. The chug of the international diesel overcame my common sense! ARGH
Had 2 GMC 3500 dually Duramax's.
The '05 had 176k when traded, never any frontend work, had original brake pads front/rear with still over a 1/4" of pad left, it didn't use DEF & never any engine issues.
The '13 when sold had 140k, never any frontend work, original brake pads looked nearly new, used a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF every 3-3.5k miles @ average of $11 a jug, 1 recall on DEF pump, turbo failed while under warranty.
Both got 8.5-11.5 mpg towing at 68 mph (1700rpm was the sweet spot on both) & 15-18 mpg average & the mileage on both was towing 50%+/- of the time a 16-16.5k 5th wheel.
Most that don't have or want a diesel always bring up the high cost of maintenance, in 10 years/over 300k on 2 trucks I can honestly say I never noticed the huge difference over any of the gassers I've owned. Nowadays with all the turbos, electronic everything on all of them, gas or diesel, the maintenance could be high on all & us shadetree mechanics are just about out of business.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 Redwood FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #48
notanlines
Senior Member
 
notanlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 3,472
Danny, I wish that Ford truck salesman would bring your wife back. Maybe then you’d stay on-topic and stop the Ford bashing .
__________________
Jim in Memphis
Wife of 47 years is Brenda
2019 F450 6.7 Powerstroke
2017 Mobile Suites
21K Demco auto-slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #49
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 2,468
Just call it like it is!!
Fix Or Repair Daily!
Didn't realize I was bashing any particular make in that last post, just stating my experience.
Sorry you're so sensitive about mentioning anything negative about the brand you own.
Just FYI, My wife wouldn't get close enough to a Ford dealership for me to worry about your comments, she likes them less than I do.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 Redwood FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #50
RFmixer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: newport news
Posts: 2
Ram1500

I've had every brand truck (except Ford) over 50 years and this is my first Dodge/RAM truck. I bought it a year old w/10K miles on it. I have to say it is the best running and riding truck I have owned. I have 2 trailers one is a 5x10 enclosed trailer (3200 lb loaded) and the other is a Bullet 248RKS (6300 lbs loaded). I get a consistent 19 mpg pulling the 5x10,and 13-14 mpg towing the Bullet. On non-tow highway trips I have gotten as much as 25 mpg. Better mpg than any other truck I've had. So far (27K miles)I've had no issues. The integrated trailer brake, tow/haul mode, and cylinder deactivation works great. At least this has been my experience.


RF
2017 RAM1500 Quadcab 4x4 8spd
Bullet 248RKS
RFmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #51
WestCoastWanderer
Member
 
WestCoastWanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 37
Love my 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Great truck with great options. 5.7 gasser gets it done.
WestCoastWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #52
Ragermack
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Tillamook
Posts: 1
Love my truck!

2018 3500 Bighorn Diesel
Ragermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #53
WestCoastWanderer
Member
 
WestCoastWanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just call it like it is!!
Fix Or Repair Daily!
Didn't realize I was bashing any particular make in that last post, just stating my experience.
Sorry you're so sensitive about mentioning anything negative about the brand you own.
Just FYI, My wife wouldn't get close enough to a Ford dealership for me to worry about your comments, she likes them less than I do.
Or . . . spell FORD backwards - Driver Returns On Foot.
WestCoastWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:39 AM   #54
kksfish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Rincon
Posts: 150
2017 3500 SRW diesel- This is the first Dodge truck I have personally owned and I would definitely get another one. Currently at about 40K miles with zero issues other than some tire balance complaints that I hope to resolve with new tires soon!

I have always been a Chevrolet truck owner for the last 40 years but after deciding to get a diesel I talked with lots of Dodge owners and decided to go Cummins!

Death Wobble....I did experience it once in a Jeep Cherokee Sport that was my work vehicle while traveling about 75 mph on I95 N.....it’s something I wouldn’t want to do again and it’s not nearly as much fun as it sounds!
__________________

__________________
2017 Ram 3500 CC Cummins
2011 Keystone Laredo 266 RL
kksfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×