Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
JasMay

2018 Keystone Hideout 24bhswe grey tanks

Hello, we recently purchased (used) a 2018 hideout 24bhswe. The specs say it has 60 gallons fresh and 78 grey. It seems to have 2 grey tanks (galley and 'grey'). I'm assuming the grey is the bathroom sink and shower. I can't find any info on this that's specific. It has 2 grey valves for dumping on the outside. We took it boondocking and it seemed like the shower grey tank filled up kinda fast (according to the control panel). Was wondering if anyone had more specific info on this model. Would be really nice to 'combine' the 2 grey tanks to get 78 grey as the specs say.

Thanks
JasMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Typically, Keystone uses holding tanks of the same size in their trailer models. So, if the "gray capacity" is listed at 78 gallons, it's almost always two 39 gallon tanks. With your black tank capacity listed at 38 gallons, I'd suspect that the actual gray capacity is 76 gallons (two 38 gallon tanks) with some "allowance for plumbing capacity"....

That said, IF YOUR TRAILER HAS ONE WASTE WATER OUTLET, you can "equalize" your gray tanks by installing a terminal valve on the outlet and then opening your two gray tank valves. The waste water will flow between the two tanks and "average/equalize" between the two. If you do that, remember that you'll have gray water "immediately behind that terminal valve, so if you pull that, you'll get a "greasy shower". That's better than a "stinky shower" from a leaking black tank, but not by much if it's a hot, sultry summer day when the accident happens and you're miles from enough fresh water to wash off the stench on your body and clothing.....

You can order a terminal valve from any RV store, some WalMart RV departments have them and EBay or Amazon have them available. Here's one Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...2&sr=8-1-fkmr3

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
JasMay

John, thanks for the info. Unfortunately the trailer has 2 waste valves, the black and grey (I believe the one hooked to the shower and bath sink) share the same waste valve. The other waste valve seems to be for the kitchen sink. Am I out of luck to 'hook' the shower, bath sink and kitchen together? Seems a little bizarre to separate the kitchen and bath into separate tanks? The ONLY logical thing I could think of, would be possibly that there are some laws about being able to dump the shower water or something? We didn't plan on doing that, just wanted the full 78 gallons of grey as we mostly boondock, then dump at a station when we're done.
JasMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
Brantlyj

If you have plumbing skills you could cut the shower line after it exits the bottom of the trailer, put in a tee, take of the valve from the kitchen sink tank, put on an elbow and a length of pvc to the tee. Then you can still use the combo black/gray outlet.

Of course if you have no plumbing skill you could hire it out. I can’t believe it would be terribly expensive. I doubt I would ever boondock but most of the State campgrounds are not full hook up so the full tank capacity would be nice.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout, keystone, tank