Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
SCGatl

Replace Leaf Springs?

Hi folks,

My 2017 Hideout LHS175 looks like it is settling down over time, and I really don't like the looks of the stock leaf springs. They are 4 leaf (if you can call the bottom short one a leaf) and while they are not visibly sagging, I would like to beef them up. Any suggestions on a source of replacement springs that would fit?

I also would like to change the tires to something more substantial, with a higher speed rating. This is a single axle trailer, so I really would like to have confidence in my tires.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Steve
SCGatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Any trailer parts store/repair shop would likely have them in stock as would most Tractor Supply (TSC) stores. We just had one member report that he broke a spring while traveling through Colorado and bought a replacement spring for his trailer at TSC.

If you're concerned with the appearance of the springs (sagging) you may need to upgrade them, but I'd suggest that springs are seldom a problem. Bearings, races, leaking rear seals and tires tend to be the most problematic parts of any travel trailer suspension system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
SCGatl

Thanks John, The tires, wheels and bearings were replaced in 2017, so I should be good for a while. Suggestions on better tires? I have Trailer King ST Radials now.
SCGatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
travelin texans

I'd start with tires along with all the things you've already done. The more stuff you load in it the more the springs will sag, but as John said very few reports of spring issues.
If that concerned, buy the springs to haul with you as spares, it wouldn't be that difficult to swap if needed & they aren't that expensive.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #5
Logan X

I upgraded my tires to Goodyear Endurance ST tires. I have about 4000 miles on them and I have been happy with them. You may want to consider going one load rating higher than the tires that came with your trailer.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
Hblick48

Check the axle tag to determine its weight rating, then do the same for your springs.

Our Montana had two 6,000 pound rated axles, but the springs from the factory were rated at 2,500 pounds each.

After two spring failures on two different occasions, I upgraded the springs to 3,000 pound rated ones along with upgrading tires from E to F load rating.

Used to have severe tire issues where inside tread on all four tires wore excessively. The spring upgrade also fixed that issue.
Hblick48 is online now   Reply With Quote