Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
Topglock

Condensation in the rv

How do you guys battle condensation in your RVs? We had our Halloween camp this weekend and the temps got down into the low 40s at night. Of course we used the furnace and had it set to 68. I crack both roof vents and slightly open cabinet doors. It helps but in the bunk area the walls are literally sweating. After it warmed up on Saturday I wiped all the windows down and the wall seems in the bunks. We have one more trip planned for October 18th so I’m pretty sure I’ll be using the heat again.

2015 Keystone Bullet 272bhs
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I run a 35qt? dehumidifier all the time if the humidity is up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #3
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I run a 35qt? dehumidifier all the time if the humidity is up.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

Many people in a small space equals a lot of moisture. We full time and ours is set about 45% and don't have issues with condensation.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #4
Topglock

Thanks for the replies fellas. I’ve been looking on amazon for one but so many choices and prices. I roughly have about 216 sq feet so do I go overkill or go with a smaller one.

2015 Keystone Bullet 272bhs
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Do more than crack a vent, open one up and a window, get air to move through the unit. A window slid open at other end of sleeping area a couple inches. Vents in non sleeping areas half to full open.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #6
Buckeyexx

hOmeLabs Small Space Dehumidifier with Auto Shut-Off - Quietly Extracts Moisture to Reduce Odor and Allergies from Mold and Mildew - Compact and Portable, Ideal for Bedrooms, Bathrooms and Closets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072C3NMK1..._5r9MDbQ8X1YZP

This is the one I use. It works really well. Your camper is probably bigger than mine but I don’t see it being an issue but if so maybe run two of them. I don’t typically have to empty it until I’m ready to pack up and go home from a two day trip.
Buckeyexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topglock View Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. I’ve been looking on amazon for one but so many choices and prices. I roughly have about 216 sq feet so do I go overkill or go with a smaller one.
My thinking is go with what get's the job done - probably overkill.

I use a 35 pint unit in our trailer and empty it every 2-3 days but on very humid days we'll empty it every day....and it collects a LOT - it's very effective. Auto shutoff when full - you want that. Mine has multiple speeds and we like that.

If you get the small ones you will either spend all your time emptying it or leave it turned off - I would personally get the bigger one. When in FL ours runs 24 hours a day unless we have a "dry" spell for some reason. Makes a huge difference in condensation - we have none.

Looks like your trailer is right at 31'. IMO I would go with a nice 30 pint - should cover the bases no matter where you are. I bought mine at Lowes. From what I can tell I wouldn't spend less than 150 or so; we paid about that around 4 years ago for ours, and it works like a champ. You want it to be efficient and effective. JMO/YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:13 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
My thinking is go with what get's the job done - probably overkill.

I use a 35 pint unit in our trailer and empty it every 2-3 days but on very humid days we'll empty it every day....and it collects a LOT - it's very effective. Auto shutoff when full - you want that. Mine has multiple speeds and we like that.

If you get the small ones you will either spend all your time emptying it or leave it turned off - I would personally get the bigger one. When in FL ours runs 24 hours a day unless we have a "dry" spell for some reason. Makes a huge difference in condensation - we have none.

Looks like your trailer is right at 31'. IMO I would go with a nice 30 pint - should cover the bases no matter where you are. I bought mine at Lowes. From what I can tell I wouldn't spend less than 150 or so; we paid about that around 4 years ago for ours, and it works like a champ. You want it to be efficient and effective. JMO/YMMV
X2
Ours has auto off when full, and you can select the humidity level you want, we stay in the 40% to 45% range. This way you don't need vents and windows open when it is cold and humid out side.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote