Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2019, 05:56 AM   #1
ldiaz791

Understanding my wall panel

Can someone please help me understand my wall panel and waste station. In our 5th Wheel Keystone Avalanche 379bh inside the water station I have 2 Gray and one 1 Black pull outs and in the back outside section of the RV another set of Black and Gray pull outs. Is one of the gray inside the water station the Galley(Kitchen) and the other our Master Bedroom sink and shower and the gray in the back side the rear Bunk house sink half bath? And how many gray tanks do I have 2 or3?.
ldiaz791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
Terry W.

Yes you will have 1 gray tank for kitchen, 1 for shower and sink in bathroom,and a black tank for bathroom. If you have the half bath it could/should have a gray and black tank. So you could have 3 gray and 2 black tanks.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
Terry W.

I would say from looking at the floorplan the 3 gray 2black is what you have due to the distance between bathrooms. Also the total gals of gray and black is a combined total so who knows what each tank capacity is. But master bath tank will be largest ones
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
ldiaz791

Yeap you Both right, but I found out that at my wall panel black and gray buttons are crossed. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix by opening the panel and switching both the wires?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
travelin texans

Easier to make new labels.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Easier to make new labels.
Nice catch
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #7
ldiaz791

Not really, you see the panel is label imprinted, NOT really a “nice catch” after all.
To do it right and correct the mistake done by the builder you would have to cross the wires inside the panel and that is what I was asking, if anyone had experience the same issue.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiaz791 View Post
Not really, you see the panel is label imprinted, NOT really a “nice catch” after all.
To do it right and correct the mistake done by the builder you would have to cross the wires inside the panel and that is what I was asking, if anyone had experience the same issue.
Sorry I was under the impression they were “labels” as in you print off with a label maker

Wasn’t my intent to make you irritated.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The wires come from sensors on the tank sides. To "cross wires would mean disassembling the multi-pin plug on the back of the monitor panel or cutting/reconnecting wires on the harness. I'd suspect that would be much more difficult than opening the bottom coroplast, disconnecting the wiring at the sensor probes and reattaching it to the correct probes on the correct tank.

My guess is that would mean that three of the wires will be too short to reach and three will be too long.

Since it appears to be a "new trailer" with a warranty, if you "tear into it" you'll likely find that Keystone will refuse to repair your "handiwork" if it doesn't go as you hope.... My advice: Take it to the dealer and let them deal with it.

Before doing that, we've had more than a few members who 'thought things were misconnected" and after sitting down to analyze the situation, realized that what they thought they had wasn't what the really had and they had misinterpreted the device. Once they "got themselves organized" they found that things were right and they were looking at them wrong..... So, make sure what you "think is there" is really "what is there" before you spend the time and expense to drag it back to the dealer for an "oh crap, really?" moment !!!

ADDED: While this is probably not your system, it will give you some idea of how the tank wiring is connected and how the single wire that monitors tank resistance goes to the logic circuit in the monitor panel. If you attempt to "cut and splice" two wires to switch tank readings, chances are very good that you won't be successful and even better that reconnecting/resoldering the wires to the original locations won't give you the readings you had originally. I'd leave it to the pros at the dealership. Here's the link to a similar system: https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...2011KIBMSS.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
Fishsizzle

So feeling bad that you got irritated, ran out to my Alpine as I have the rear of the panel accessed currently.

If you have access to the back of your panel:

You can see that there is a bolt behind and one in front take the screw out of the handle and unbolt front and you can push it through and swap them. Run them back through the panel, bolt back, then attach handle and use the screw to secure it again.

Also a pic of mine, you can see I have but modest labels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA2D2E58-8FB8-4018-940B-BA966726B8BB.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	22235   Click image for larger version

Name:	8C646A00-84FC-43A1-A293-4BCF6753FCE3.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	22236   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF377A48-7660-4C95-A321-4B21EBEECE2E.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	22237  
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #11
ldiaz791

No you did not, this forum helps everyone resolve issues that come up from time to time, I just made the switch from a ClassA to a 5thwheel and some things are different.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #12
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
To "cross wires" would mean disassembling the multi-pin plug on the back of the monitor panel or cutting/reconnecting wires on the harness. I'd suspect that would be much more difficult than opening the bottom coroplast, disconnecting the wiring at the sensor probes and reattaching it to the correct probes on the correct tank. My guess is that would mean that three of the wires will be too short to reach and three will be too long.
I laughed out loud when I read this. I've seen no better contrast this year between the attitudes of a computer technician and a mechanic!

I can reach my hand down to the toolbox beside me and fetch out a molex pin removal tool in about 30 seconds. So of course, this is immediately the way I would solve the problem -- diddle a couple of wires in a connector, and back on the air.

To hear someone say that it would be "less difficult" for me to get down on my aching back, shinny under my rig, and maplessly fumble with panes of coroplast, obscuring insulation, and whatever else they cram under these things, then make two or three "short circuits" longer... well, I feel like I would if I heard my dog talk back to me.

Genuinely, climbing around under vehicles is one of those experiences I happily hire experts to let me avoid!
Old 06-13-2019, 04:23 AM   #13
jsmith948

Wow...

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Wow...
and: DOUBLE WOW

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
LHaven

Please, let me be clear. I'm not criticizing the advice at all. I'm just honestly amused at this fine example of the very different things "easy" means to different people, depending on their backgrounds and tool set.

I guess the opposite analogy to this would be that you described a computer problem, and I told you, "that's easy to fix – just do it from power shell/terminal."

I would do many alternative things to avoid crawling under a vehicle, especially since it takes me on the average of 10 minutes just to get vertical again!
Old 06-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

The OP ended his initial post with this statement: " And how many gray tanks do I have 2 or3?."

With that much "certainty" about what his RV has under it, swapping pins, wires, connections on an INTERIOR electronic panel (I use electronic loosely here) would, at best, be anti-climatic if he determines after cutting wires, swapping pins and recalibrating his "panel" that there's nothing connected to the lights and switch that he's trying to "fix".....

It makes far more "sense" that he actually "crawl under his RV and look at what's there, determine if he even has a problem BEFORE he starts disassembling and rewiring a panel that he's not even sure is connected to anything.

That said, I was potting Cannon plugs with 200 pins long before computers were even household items. Back when IBM cards and a main frame the size of a standard 3 bedroom house, molex plugs weren't even invented. So, while your "point about taking the easy way out" is noted. If the OP doesn't know "which way is out" taking that route may very well NOT be in his best interest..... YMMV and that's a good thing.

ADDED: I think if you go back and actually read my statement, I suggested to the OP that it wouldn't be a good idea to cut/swap wires at the panel AND if he crawls under his RV to cut/swap and reattach wires to the sensors, three of them will be too short and three will be too long. (also NOT a good solution)

I went on to suggest that since his trailer is new and in WARRANTY, that it's probably a good idea to let the dealership handle his problem... BUT, before spending the time, effort and expense of dragging it back for repairs, it might be a good idea to crawl under it and "UNDERSTAND WHAT HE REALLY HAS" before complaining to the dealer that something's wrong, only to find out that he just didn't know what he had......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #17
LHaven

Yup. I agree with all of the above. Again, I did not mean to imply that the original advice was somehow poor, and I also did not mean to imply that the OP would be better off following the mode of attack that I personally would prefer. And I agree that kicking the can down the road to the dealer under warranty is nearly always the safest option, when possible.