Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #41
PDitty

The Andersen Ultimate hitch is the only way to go. So easy to hook up and it so so light I can take it out of my truck in minutes and use my truck bed for other duties
PDitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #42
cayovelez

I second that! It is so easy. I use it on my 3500 silverado and love it.
cayovelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 AM   #43
smt0954

I have the GMC HD3500 Duramax Single Rear Wheel short bed truck. I paired my fifth wheel with the PullRite Super glide. they make 16K, 18K, and 24K. I decided to get the 24K just in case I upgraded to a heavier RV later on. I absolutely love my PullRite. check it out on the web. its features are beyond compare. you will love your new truck!
be safe out there!
smt0954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:02 AM   #44
Roscommon48

Since you are looking for input, at least on a hitch, I want to put my 2 cents into this.

don't waste your time on a dually/long box. I srw short box is what i would recommend. Just get a good sliding hitch. start reviewing etrailer on your options.

sorry, i just opened up a can of worms on this recommendation.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:08 AM   #45
cookinwitdiesel

Dually ain't optional, we are getting a trailer with a 2900# unloaded hitch weight. I also like the idea of not needing to mess with a slider. Down the road I see a Reese Goose Box in the cards, Curt A25 for now.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:01 AM   #46
sorgeb2010

I love my Andersen Ultimate! No chucking at all. I also like the fact that within 5 minutes you can hook or unhook the hitch. I sold my B&W companion to go with the Andersen hitch. IMO there is no better hitch. Just like Ford, Chevy, Ram it all comes down to personal preference.
sorgeb2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #47
sorgeb2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorgeb2010 View Post
I love my Andersen Ultimate! No chucking at all. I also like the fact that within 5 minutes you can hook or unhook the hitch. I sold my B&W companion to go with the Andersen hitch. IMO there is no better hitch. Just like Ford, Chevy, Ram it all comes down to personal preference.
Also etrailer.com usually has the cheapest pricing. Shop around always!!
sorgeb2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #48
terrythetech

I was considering a Denali earlier but thought the Denali model required a gooseneck adapter for a 5th wheel. I didn't want a gooseneck so the clearance requirement must have changed. Perhaps I will reconsider that now if it has changed.
terrythetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Some pics for those who like them

Ready for pick up next weekend now!
Attachment 22036

Attachment 22037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenel View Post
I bought a Comfort Ride hitch and absolutely love it. I pull a 2016 Alpine behind my 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 and even on bumpy roads I barely notice it. I get no chucking or bounce. The other option I liked is it is adjustable for my shorter box. I didn't need to buy a slider hitch. It is more expensive that the others but for my money it was well worth it
Quote:
Originally Posted by idcruiserman View Post
I used an aluminum Andersen hitch for a year towing a 20K+ lb fifth wheel around the country. I had no issues with it. Light weight, strong, and relatively cheap. Frankly, it's a superior product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
I have had the Reese Puck hitch since 2012 and have used it on my last 3 trucks. with the 8ft bed you do not need a slider. The hitch that came with the truck was a 25,000 lb one and used it on my last 3 Fifth wheels never had any problems and at this stage have towed over 85,000 miles with it. I currently tow a 19,000 lb Alfa Gold. they do make a puck adapter with rails if you want.
call Tow Right and talk with them as they are informative and only recommend not hard sell. Just remember RV's are like boats you keep getting bigger and better. The DW is now looking at a 22,000 lb 44ft one now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka Ob Waci View Post
B&W Companion 20,000# hitch on my 2015 Chevy 3500HD. Haven't had a minutes trouble with it and when you remove the hitch, the bed is flat. It doubles as a goose neck with the way it's set up. Got all my stuff on eBay and saved a ton of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDitty View Post
The Andersen Ultimate hitch is the only way to go. So easy to hook up and it so so light I can take it out of my truck in minutes and use my truck bed for other duties
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayovelez View Post
I second that! It is so easy. I use it on my 3500 silverado and love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt0954 View Post
I have the GMC HD3500 Duramax Single Rear Wheel short bed truck. I paired my fifth wheel with the PullRite Super glide. they make 16K, 18K, and 24K. I decided to get the 24K just in case I upgraded to a heavier RV later on. I absolutely love my PullRite. check it out on the web. its features are beyond compare. you will love your new truck!
be safe out there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
Since you are looking for input, at least on a hitch, I want to put my 2 cents into this.

don't waste your time on a dually/long box. I srw short box is what i would recommend. Just get a good sliding hitch. start reviewing etrailer on your options.

sorry, i just opened up a can of worms on this recommendation.
Quote:
Quote:
Also etrailer.com usually has the cheapest pricing. Shop around always!!
Guys,

Please note the FIRST quoted post in this comment. The OP has ALREADY bought his GMC dually and a CURT A25 hitch. The purchase is complete and he is picking up his new fifth wheel this weekend (If I remember correctly). I'd think that recommendations of "what he should buy" are, at this point in time, "a day late and a dollar short"...... It's a done deal and his search for a truck and hitch are finished.

Sam,

Nice looking truck. Hopefully the delivery of your new trailer goes well. Congratulations on your new rig !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #50
cookinwitdiesel

Thanks John, I am still enjoying the friendly conversation
Old 06-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #51
DA8683

Reese 27K hitch

After getting my new 3500HD, I decided to go with the new Reese 27K puck system hitch. I figured that it would handle anything I might want to hook behind my truck. So far I’m very satisfied with this hitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Hi all,

Just drove home a new 3500HD Denali DRW today (8 foot bed) with the OEM puck system/prep package. Planning to get a fifth wheel in the next couple weeks. Before I can do that, I need a hitch.

In my basic introductory research I find myself liking the Curt Q25. Part of why I ended up there is they are not a radically different/unconventional design like the Anderson or Goosebox. This makes me feel more comfortable with it. I know Curt has an ages old reputation for making reliable equipment as well.

I was hoping to poll the community here to hear your opinions on the different hitch options and what has worked well for you.

I am looking at a trailer with a GVWR of only 14000# initially but figured I may as well get a hitch with plenty of room to grow since this barely impacts the price (would it impact the ride?). Shouldn't need a slider since I have the 8 foot bed.

This would be my first fifth wheel so please let me know anything and everything I should know going into it.

Thanks!
DA8683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:58 AM   #52
jimborokz

One takeaway from this thread, seems most folks are happy with the hitch they have and there are multiple set ups out there that are excellent. This is good. More than one way to skin a cat as my late dad used to say.
Cookin', You've done your homework and made great choices. Congrats on the new rigs and I know you and the family will have many years of happy camping.
All newbies should learn from this process; shop, learn, plan then execute.
Life is so good.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #53
cookinwitdiesel

I will say, research is under rated! I started out with a nice truck and trailer both bought new last September (9 months ago). They were nice, but not the right fit for our family and needs. We now have the right setup but it cost us $16k between the truck and trailer to correct. My wife has informed me, this is a 10 year minimum setup now lol
Old 06-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #54
MariettaChuck

I have the B&W 25k hitch in my 2019 Silverado 3500 DRW.
It is awesome... Had a Curt once. BW is better...
MariettaChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #55
dadnjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Sorry I believe you are wrong on both counts.
B&W Companion, is drawn down to a torque of 40 lb. ft. this does two things, lifts the turnover ball, while pressing the feet into the bed. Once the 5er is attached more pressure downward on the bed.

Rail hitches have brackets that attach to the the TV frame, and support the rails, the brackets support at least 95% of the hitch weight.

Now the PUCK system, it places 100% of the weight directly on the frame of the TV.

Pickup bed material is getting thinner every year, both B&W and Andersen had to make modifications to their foot pads to prevent bed denting.
Congratulations on the new truck. Doesn't the draw down bolt that you torque just tighten to the release pin so it can't be pulled until you back off of it.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #56
lfd311

To the OP - just FYI...I was just informed this past week, that the owner of Grand Design was once a "big wig" at Keystone. He left there for whatever reasons, and started this company. This is why you may see that there are a lot of similarities between the two name brands!! Happy camping!!
lfd311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch