Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2019, 02:05 AM   #21
notanlines

I don't really have an opinion (yes, that may be a first) concerning the youth of today being more self-centered/less helpful. I do know that the older we get the more prepared and self-sufficient we become. Brenda and I are both very trusting people, seldom lock things up, and take people at face value. We take great pleasure in helping others, having been helped many times in our years. That being said, I am not very naïve, and look gift horses in the mouth every time.
I'll agree with TT on his take with some of the week-enders, and I'll add this: What about the old farts and their use of the golf carts in the park? Brenda and I 'camp' on occasion at Lone Pine north of Burlington, Vermont. A very nice place, but the golf carts are like traffic in the city. I think if one of them broke down I'd just leave 'em in the road.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:08 AM   #22
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I don't really have an opinion (yes, that may be a first) concerning the youth of today being more self-centered/less helpful. I do know that the older we get the more prepared and self-sufficient we become. Brenda and I are both very trusting people, seldom lock things up, and take people at face value. We take great pleasure in helping others, having been helped many times in our years. That being said, I am not very naïve, and look gift horses in the mouth every time.
I'll agree with TT on his take with some of the week-enders, and I'll add this: What about the old farts and their use of the golf carts in the park? Brenda and I 'camp' on occasion at Lone Pine north of Burlington, Vermont. A very nice place, but the golf carts are like traffic in the city. I think if one of them broke down I'd just leave 'em in the road.
You're going to the bad place.....

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:17 AM   #23
Steveo57

Last summer I went to the aid of a fellow camper with a dead battery. When I popped the hood on my truck I was greeted with an engine that was packed with leaves and other stuff. It was a nice nest that a squirrel or chipmunk had built. Luckily they were still setting up housekeeping and hadn't had a chance to do much damage.

So in that case me helping out a stranger paid big dividends. If I hadn't of popped the hood on my brand new truck the little critters would of caused untold damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180702_193924.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	21505  
Old 04-27-2019, 04:16 AM   #24
Frederick

I and my wife were in San Antonio TX when a couple pulled in while setting up his 5er he said his truck had a low power warning and was going to the GMC dealer I gave him my phone # in case they did not have driver to get him back about an hour later he called all drivers had gone home took 4 days to fix the truck in the meantime we took his wife to a bible meeting 20 mikes away Im glade we were there to help them they tried to pay us but told them someday we may need help and maybe someone will be thrtr
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:01 AM   #25
wmcclay

My feelings are ,With all the satellite dishes, DVDs, and full hookups, it's hard to find people outside of their RVs. Some of younger generation is very self involved. You go to a campground without all the amenities, people are outside, socializing with other campers. We try very hard to NOT go to campgrounds with full hook ups. With all the electronics you might as well stay home.
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #26
SR71 Jet Mech

I,ve got another take...bare with me...
The folks on this forum are always more than helpful. I notice there are quite a few veterans, law enforcement, and I’m sure other first responders and other forms of volunteers in many ways for different things. Of course I was brought up camping in tents with my parents and creature comforts were battery flashlights. But my time as a volunteer (Air Force, EMT/FF) has shown me that these folks just have it in their hearts to “help”. I can’t imagine walking by someone who needed help, even if they hadn’t asked. I do know some younglings that are very thoughtful and helpful and some old farts that are not. I DO have all those super creature comforts in our 5er but, spend most of my time outside. NOT using them.

I too have seen and helped many fellow campers in need as well as been helped from them myself. I have watched countless vehicles drive by a car sitting on the side of the road only to stop myself to find anything from someone just on the phone to a vehicle breakdown to someone having a stroke. Some are just born “volunteers “ and a lot are not.

I’m not the most social guy at all, but I need a good “brother hood” I can count on and believe in. I believe I can still find that here and at most places I visit with the RV.

Just my $.02

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:10 PM   #27
Local150

I have helped many from tire problems, awnings,water,,tv and many more. Last winter while I was in a Koa in Florida, a couple from Canada pulled in next to me and their diesel Ford wasn't sounding so good. So I helped him get setup then googled the nearest Ford dealer and have him a # to call. Then followed him to the dealer and have them a ride back to the koa. Later the next day I was thinking, wonder if they have enough supplies, they said not really, so took them to a Publix, and a walmart. Then 2 days later took them to the dealer to get his truck. They tried to pay me,, but no way would I take that. Felt good to help them
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #28
tacoma238ml

My Dad taught me that if you see that someone could use some help ask them if you could help in any way, It just makes me feel good to help out within reason
tacoma238ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #29
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma238ml View Post
My Dad taught me that if you see that someone could use some help ask them if you could help in any way, It just makes me feel good to help out within reason
Agreed,, was brought up the same way
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:10 AM   #30
Frederick

When in San A TX a couple pulled in and when unhooking the 5er he commented that the low power warning was coming on he was going to take it to the GMC dealer it was late afternoon so I gave him my cell # that late in the day the C drivers might be gone they were went and got him and DW also took her to a national bible meeting next day took them 4 daays and 4000$ to grt going got a nice text later letting me know they had made it home
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:56 AM   #31
CampNBrew2

Great stories and big hearts in this thread! I like it.
Most people are friendly once you break the ice. In the offroad world most people are pretty good about helping each other out (even if some of them are those hellraisers mentioned above. I am NOT and respect others camping enjoyment).
I have learned a lot on this and other forums so try to help newbies or folks with other issues with general knowledge or repairs. Nice to pay it forward and pass on a little knowledge.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:37 AM   #32
cookinwitdiesel

I am 31 so don't want to make it all about age, there are good and bad examples at every end of the spectrum. The couple times I have been out camping, I try to get us (wife and 18 month old daughter) outside as much as I can. Plenty of time to sit in the trailer at night or when weather is bad.

On my last trip we pulled in late (9 pm'ish) and the guy in the neighboring spot came right out with a light to help me get setup. He even loaned me a 10' hose extension he had since my trailer had its fill up on the back a little too far from the post for my hose. Super helpful. I was able to chat a lot with him over the next couple days while we overlapped at the site.

I would gladly help others when/if I see it. I travel with every tool I could think of needing just in case something of mine breaks but welcome the opportunity to help others as well. I guess it is the way I was raised? I was also an Eagle Scout so they drill some of that into you there as well.

I recall one episode when out with my dad in high school, 42' Class A with tag axle at an old park outside of Denver (really had no business being there with that sized rig). My dad was executing the 20-point turn needed to maneuver the RV into our spot and accidentally hit the tag axle button and not reverse for the transmission (right next to each other). The RV promptly dropped and high centered in the middle of the park. The tag axle will hold up the RV but it will not lift it. That was a higher end RV with air brakes so it made a lot of noise and had attracted an audience watching my dad maneuver it - as soon as he dropped the axle by accident the entire park mobilized with blocks, boards, jacks, anything you could think of needing to help get us unstuck. It was an extremely positive experience made possible by the friendliness of everyone else there. That was about 16 years ago so I guess it made an impression on me since I still remember it all perfectly now.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #33
kjohn

I have been aided mostly by neighbor campers giving me tips on various things, as well as reading posts here and asking questions. I carry lots of goodies and would most certainly help people if I could.

As an example: I've always put my pressure regulator at the trailer end of the hose. Jeez, now I'll know!