Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old Yesterday, 06:19 AM   #11
Fishsizzle

Welcome from Oregon! Been to Spokane a few times on my way to Idaho, beautiful country up there.

Temporary Truck
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM   #12
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You may want to think about a couple of things in this post;

1) An Expedition is not a "truck" in the truck sense of the word. It is not, and was never meant, to be a "tow" vehicle.

2) The E2 is not an appropriate wdh/sway for an 8000 lb. trailer on the back end of the Expedition....it just ain't.

You've made a trip and had "head" winds and "tail" winds (small)....those are irrelevant. Cross winds. High winds (30 +) will put you in a tailspin at any speed.

Bottom line? Don't be comfortable with that combo or the wdh you have. Neither is up to the task of what you are putting on it.
While I cannot argue with all you points, but saying an expedition isn’t a truck or tow vehicle isn’t necessarily correct.

It’s a body on frame with a straight axle in the back. Much like any 1/2 truck. I have an 05 Navigator and it was “rated” at 10k towing. I pulled the 06 Sandpiper down the California and back a few times, fairly effortlessly. Over the mountains in Oregon as well when we were “truckless” for a year. (Why I thought we could do that was beyond me)

I will say if you can get a four point hitch (equalizer 4) somehow out of the dealer or send yours back, I would try really hard.

Again, safe and happy travels.

Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM   #13
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post

It’s a body on frame with a straight axle in the back. Much like any 1/2 truck.

*Ahem* A 2017 Expedition does NOT have a solid rear axle.. it has the independent rear suspension. So, Danny was correct in that is NOT really a tow vehicle, especially for a trailer as larg as the OP's.

https://www.mojavefordbarstow.net/ne...arstow-htm.htm
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM   #14
NH_Bulldog

Here is the 2017 Ford Towing Guide for the Expedition. I know you added parts to upgrade towing capability, but please be careful, as that trailer is too much for the Expedition on a good day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	468D7C61-0054-476B-A341-ADD17909094D.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	22283  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM   #15
Fishsizzle

Well whiffed on the soiled axle, (thanks for clarifying) but I’ll still stand by that you can safely tow a load that it in it’s ratings.

Describe what a “Tow Vehicle” is. If it has features on it that allow you to tow, then it’s a tow vehicle. Sorry Danny no disrespect.

And yes OP does have to be careful based on the specs of the trailer and his TV. He’s right there, zero wiggle room.

Temporary Truck
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Well whiffed on the soiled axle, (thanks for clarifying) but I’ll still stand by that you can safely tow a load that it in it’s ratings.

Describe what a “Tow Vehicle” is. If it has features on it that allow you to tow, then it’s a tow vehicle. Sorry Danny no disrespect.

And yes OP does have to be careful based on the specs of the trailer and his TV. He’s right there, zero wiggle room.

Ha! Don't take it that way. We all share our thoughts and perspectives. And yes, in one respect, as you state, if it has "features" that allow you to tow, it is a "tow" vehicle (word used loosely - and possibly dangerously IMO). But then, to me, a TOW vehicle is one that was designed with that being one of its primary functions; not a bolt on Class II (example) receiver, P rated tires etc. Purely semantics and I think we both can be right in this case.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:47 PM   #17
dabbill

Quote:
Welcome from Oregon! Been to Spokane a few times on my way to Idaho, beautiful country up there.

I was born and raised in Vancouver, WA. Spent lots of time in Oregon.
dabbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:53 PM   #18
dabbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Here is the 2017 Ford Towing Guide for the Expedition. I know you added parts to upgrade towing capability, but please be careful, as that trailer is too much for the Expedition on a good day!

The only thing different between the standard towing and HD towing for the expedition is:

1. Slightly thicker Radiator
2. Transmission cooler
3. 7 pin trailer connector
4. Trailer brake controller

I have added the transmission cooler, 7pin connector and trailer brake. I will be monitoring engine temps closely to see if the radiator is really needed. I have quite a bit of towing experience with a range of trailers / trucks / SUVs.

dabbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel trailer