Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
mwemaxxowner

Sealant and Stuff

Sealant and *Stuffs* [emoji22]...DOH

The old camper I had was an '85 Jayco 5ver. I paid $1500 for it and certainly got my money's worth, but it seemed like it leaked a little bit from practically every seam or joint. Corner seams, windows, etc.

Back then I didn't have the google Fu that I do now, and I used caulking products that I had always used in construction and home improvement to chase and repair them. The results varied.

Fast forward to now, I just bought an '05 Springdale. After a few rain storms I have determined that I don't have any current leaking, or at least nothing drastic.

However the sealant (butyl tape I'm assuming) is cracking and whatnot around the windows and in the corners. I'd say it's time for me to head this off at the pass before I DO have problems.

The roof looks great. It has been maintained and I don't believe needs any attention at this time. I just think everything from there down has been ignored.

I have dicor non leveling sealant. My intent was to go around EVERYTHING and scrape old, clean with mineral spirits, caulk, and "tool" with a mineral spirits soaked finger.

This was the plan, but I have found the dicor seal-tite kits with the double sided seam seal, and watched the videos where they remove the corner molding, apply the seam seal tape, then reinstall the corner trim and caulk that in also. It appears to be a superior process to seal the RV corners.

However, if caulking the corner trim with the dicor non leveling alone is sufficient, I'd gladly just do that.

What says those of you with some experience? The videos using the seal Tite kit don't appear too difficult, I just don't want to take a chance on damaging the trim or anything and opening up a can of worms if simply cleaning and caulking properly along the edges with the right product is sufficient.

While we're at it, please recommend anything else that would be a good idea to tend to. I don't know the maintenance history of this RV other than the fact that it appears to be in generally good shape. I plan to check and service the wheel bearings also very soon.

Thanks and happy camping!
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Windows are suspended in an opening and typically vibrate enough to "squish" or "push out" the sealant under the flange. I watch mine carefully and if I see an area that looks like it's not sealing properly, I pull that window, clean off all the old sealant, reapply butyl putty tape starting at the bottom center and reinstall the window. I don't have any schedule of pulling windows just to replace putty, just when it "looks wonky"....

Other items I'd watch closely on the sidewalls/endcaps is baggage doors, vents, exterior shower doors, and especially the running lights. They are NOTORIOUS for leaking after a year or so. Remember that when they were installed, silicone or a similar sealant was applied to the top and sides of all the running lights. The bottom is left open/unsealed intentionally because of the probability that the fixtures will leak.

Typically, the roof side molding and the sidewall endcaps don't leak and unless damaged, just need monitoring, not pulling to reseal. They are rigid aluminum, held in place with multiple screws and don't flex/pull away from the sidewall (typically) unless there's a problem. Watch them, reseal the edges if questionable, but I wouldn't pull the aluminum trim caps unless there's a reason. Don't forget the J-wrap trim cover and if you have a slide, the bottom side trim on the endcaps of the slide. Any water that runs down the ends of the slides will wick under that bottom corner trim cap and rot the slide floor.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
mwemaxxowner

Thanks, that answered my biggest question. I won't pull the corner trim, I'll just seal the edges.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
mwemaxxowner

https://youtu.be/bSGWF7N01C0

https://youtu.be/belS_95xLcA

https://youtu.be/pVS0zkWcQEo

https://youtu.be/GlY-qgv95BY

I've attached some of the videos I've found useful. Both to help me find again quickly, but also maybe so folks searching similar topics will see them also.