Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2019, 05:22 AM   #1
atkinsb3

Air conditioner rattle, low air flow and intermittent shut down solved!!!

Every since we bought our trailer almost a year ago, the A/C had a slight tinny rattle when the quick cool air vent on the unit was closed to force more air into the ducts throughout the trailer.

The air coming out the duct work was also not as strong as I thought it should be but...just figured that was the way it was.

On our first outing last weekend we started having trouble with the air conditioner (after we fixed the problem of no DC power when we arrived at our campsite). It would run for a while with the fan on low and then cut off and not come back on.

Turned the A/C off and let it sit, then back on and it would work for a while and then stop again. At night it shut off so I got up and cracked the quick cool air vent on the unit, mainly to dull the rattling, turned it back on and it ran all night.

When we got home was doing some work inside the trailer with the A/C on and the quick cool vent closed and it shut off again.

Had seen in the forum how to initialize the thermostat from people who had similar problems which seemed like the easy first step. So tried that with no change.

Let it sit then turned it back on and it started working again. Went to open the quick cool vent on the unit and felt cold air coming out of the return air vent...hmmmm...seen a few posts in reference to this as well.

Pulled the return air filter out and low and behold...the sticky edge of the foam insulation on the divider plate that keeps cold air from recirculating into the return air opening had come loose and the divider plate was out of place. This left a hole big enough for me to stick my hand in (I also discovered where the thermostat controller is!?!?)

Put the divider plate back in place, sealed the edges with duct tape (for now) and the unit fired up and didn't shut off. Miraculously the rattling has stopped when the quick cool vent on the unit is closed and the air coming through the ducts is now near hurricane force! The score is still in favor or the trailer, but I'll take this win.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #2
Tbos

Glad you were able to figure it out.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
notanlines

Bill, after reading the heading of your post I thought surely you've jumped to a new 2500 Denali and a new Cougar 5v'er and left your 'tears' behind!
Don't let the b$%&#s grind you down! (singular however) You'll have that thing whipped by the middle of this camping season!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
Muskateer10

I know this is an old thread for a different RV (I have a 2020 premier). I had similar problems with my Air turning off. It could be 85-90 outside, I would turn the air on and it would quit after awhile and not turn back on. If I recycled the thermostat off/heat/then air it would work again. This was repeatable. So my question is: "If I have a quick cool vent" where do I look for it? 2) where do I find the return vent to check if cold air is coming out? Thanks
Muskateer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

What kind and type of AC do you have? The "quick cool/dump" feature is usually a moveable grate on the AC unit itself in the ceiling that you can open or close. If you have the whisper quiet unit (I doubt) you won't have the dump feature.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

The quick-cool is just a sliding vent on the ceiling AC unit that allows the air to blow straight down as opposed to forcing it through the ceiling ducts when closed. I had similar issues with mine and found a poorly placed freeze sensor, and poor taping/sealing of the plenum (the divider plate and duct connections). Once fixed to my liking there have been no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1929DF2-4FE4-4FF3-A1EC-A5D5BC9BF374.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	31766  
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:19 AM   #7
Muskateer10

Thanks. Unfortunately, I posted on here as an afterthought. I was having problems ever since I purchased the RV in May through the season. Unfortunately I don't recall the brand of AC unit and I have no pictures. I do know it is 13,500BTU's. I was just hoping to get some insight as to where to look when I get back up to the RV in May. I can't find any pictures either.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

Do you have any of the manuals for the trailer at home or are they with the RV?

You likely have a 13.5k Dometic Brisk Air II. If so, your ceiling plate looks like the one I posted. A few things to look into when you get back to your unit: 1 - If you remove the filter plate (like it shows in my photo) there is a wire the looks like it is jammed into the fins of the cooling coils, that is your freeze sensor. If there is too much air flow, or humidity is too high, the coil will ice up and the unit will shut down until it thaws. 2 - If you remove the entire ceiling plate, you will see the plenum above the quick-cool vent. There is a divider between the two sides, and if that divider is not properly sealed, you get air leakage into the return and poor airflow through the ducts. 3 - While looking inside the plenum, you may also find that the outlets to the ducts are not sealed good or partially blocked. I bought a roll of adhesive foil tape and sealed everything properly and have had zero issues since that first trip.

I posted my findings and pictures here: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=38150
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
Old 01-31-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
Muskateer10

Thank You. I was thinking I have the Dometic, but wasn't 100% positive. But I don't have any manuals at home...all at the RV site. It would make sense that the AC would be frosted up, it seems to want to run all the time. I wonder if that is why it is wired for a 2nd Air Conditioner? I hope I can find that freeze sensor. I have had the ceiling cover off once "the dealer wanted me to check the wiring." I will store your post and pictures for future reference. Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:22 AM   #10
NH_Bulldog

Here is the freeze sensor, pull the air filter plate and just look up inside the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	589C88F8-1161-4A2E-8A78-DD31D4B8D525.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	31767  

Tags
air conditioner