Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #13
Controller23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleghorn Kid View Post
Congrats on your new Keystone 239ML travel trailer. I trust you will have many years of enjoyment with it.

Regarding your tow vehicle (TV) I agree with Sourdough that it will be a struggle to pull with your Tacoma. We also live in Wisconsin and you will never realize how hilly Wisconsin is until you start pulling a trailer. We have a Keystone Passport 2510BH and used to pull it with a 2012 Tahoe with the 5.3L engine and tow package with 3.42 rear ratio. It was rated to pull 8400 lbs. It towed ok but I had to get a running start to get up hills and keep RPMs under 3500. But if winds were over 15 mph, which they often are here, it was a struggle to tow, even with an Equalizer hitch system. I added LT tires to our TV and that helped but it still swayed in winds over 15 mph.

So I researched and found I had 3 TV problems:

The Tahoe had coil rear springs which gave a nice ride but not much stability. Leaf springs give added stability.

The Tahoe wheelbase was too short for the trailer. The Tahoe had 116” wheelbase which is good up to 21.5’ trailer. (See RV Consumers Group (rv.org) for guidelines) For our 25’ trailer we needed at least 124” wheelbase and longer the better.

The Tahoe had 320 HP but more would be better with all the hills.

In conclusion I decided I needed to upgrade our TV to a pickup truck and ended up with a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 with the Max Tow package. This was a nice alternative instead of going up to a 2500. It rides as nice as the Tahoe even with the beefed up leaf springs; a longer wheelbase of 143”; increased 105 HP at 425 HP with 6.2L engine. This made a significant improvement pulling our trailer. No more white knuckles pulling in the wind or hills.

I hope this helps. Good luck and happy camping.

Thank you. I think I mentioned above I decided to upgrade to a new Silverado with the 5.3 and regular advanced tow package, for a tow rating of 9600lb. Don’t think I’ll have a problem now.
Controller23 is offline   Reply With Quote