Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
ChuckS

Alpine exterior slide weather seals

Wondered if there is a trick or fix that will help the exterior slide flap seals properly extend when the slides are out?

Some of mine, top or sides don't always completely fold out in the right direction. A small section of one of the seals may stay folded under and then I have to take my fingers and slide along and position correctly.

I've used baby powder on interior and exterior seals and that stops sticking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Some members have also used powder with mixed success and others have used Aerospace303 Protectant with mixed results also. I'd give the 303 a try and see if that makes any difference. This product is also EPDM compatible so you could spray the section of the roof that is affected as well as the side wall(s) of the slide with the 303.
I use this product on the roof as well as on the seals.

Sometimes, it is necessary to either adjust the slide slightly or the slide seal itself so that it functions properly. This is not an uncommon problem you are experiencing.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
ChuckS

Alpine exterior slide weather seals

Thanks for the inputs.. My biggest concern with the Exterior seals is if the flap side doesn't position itself correctly then it's obvious water and dirt intrusion would be very easy.. Seems in warmer weather all the exterior seals except one .. On top of course extend with flap in correct position but when they don't part of one of the seal flaps remains tucked in opposite direction.

It's not a big deal to take my fingers and run along and get the seal flap positioned to the correct direction but as I get older it may be a big deal[emoji4]

I gather one could loosen some of the seal flap screws and lower it just a bit but not sure if those seal mount holes are slotted to allow for adjustment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:02 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Not sure if they are slotted or not, but that is the best course of action. Chemicals and powders will make everything slide better or keep the rubber pliable, but they won't create the friction required to turn the flap as the slides move. Either your slide needs to go up, or the seal needs to come down.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:12 AM   #5
kimbashaw

I have had the same problem and have found it happens more often when I pause the slide extension and then restart. Same thing when the slide retracts. I have better luck when I fully extend or retract in one continuous movement
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote