Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
twvette

Water leak from rear awning

Anyone had water leaking in from the top of the Carefree rear awning that is enclosed in the metal housing (scissor type opening mechanism)?

I had water running down my rear ramp door right at the seam where the metal door frame meets the upper wall panels during a mild rain storm. Tracked down the source with a water hose today to isolate it. There are a couple what seems like metal pieces with seems at the top of the metal enclosure so I assume it is just leaking through them. There is no caulking at these metal seems so assume they are supposed to seal internally. I can seal it up but figured would ask before I go and goop up.
twvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
twvette

Found most water was coming into the metal housing at the backside at left edge near where the motor/gears are located when letting the water hose flow water across the top of the awning housing. There was also a decent amount coming in from one of the housing mounts that holds it to the toy hauler in between where they had tried to seal the large screw but it was not a complete seal around the entire diameter.

It seems to me the design might be so that some water is supposed to seem through the butt connections/metal seems of the top of the housing but I could not see where that water was then supposed to drain out of.

Well, expecting good amounts of rain and I am only in the toy hauler every now and then and leaving today so goop'd up the seems that run across the entire top of the awning housing and the screw that was leaking. A little concerned will now get some puddling in the seams as its a recessed area but should not be much before it drain off the edges so will just hope this was the fix and monitor it.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
twvette

Update: Took me a while and few attempts to figure this out but it did not stop leaking until I realized the top plastic case had a few hair line cracks in it that looked more like light scratches than a crack. Surprised that much water comes through them but went over them with silicone and it stopped leaking.

Tags
awning, leak, water, water leak