Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #1
Tim-Rhonda

333mks

Wife and I went out and looked at a 15' 333MKS yesterday at the RV outlet in Danville, Va. What a nice 5th wheel. Love the 4 point level up system. Have been lurking on the forum for quite some time just schooling myself on the different aspects, pros and cons of this model and others cougar 5th wheel models. We are not sure if this is the one or do we want to look at others. I have been looking online for about a year and always seem to come back to the Cougars for practicality (for us), features and bang for your buck. The price seemed decent, a wee bit more than 30% off of MSRP which seems to be the normal. Any comments suggestions. Thanks in advance.
08 Fleetwood Niagara popup
USN Chief Retired
Tim-Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #2
Javi

The DW and I looked for more than a year and a half before we finally pulled the trigger on our '15 Cougar 333MKS. No matter that we looked at probably fifty other models and brands, we comparing all others to the 333MKS. Some where nicer, and some weren't, but when it was all said and done the bang for the buck of the 333 won out.

We hauled it home and moved everything out of the old trailer into the new and we went camping. As we sat looking out the more than ample window at the rain falling, we discussed what we liked and disliked about the 333 and we couldn't come up with a negative. Oh there are a few things I don't like and will fix like plugging the lines to the washer connections because I don't want to have to fool with them when blowing out the lines after our winter trips. But that's not the fault of the trailer..
Old 11-30-2014, 03:55 AM   #3
Tim-Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The DW and I looked for more than a year and a half before we finally pulled the trigger on our '15 Cougar 333MKS. No matter that we looked at probably fifty other models and brands, we comparing all others to the 333MKS. Some where nicer, and some weren't, but when it was all said and done the bang for the buck of the 333 won out.

We hauled it home and moved everything out of the old trailer into the new and we went camping. As we sat looking out the more than ample window at the rain falling, we discussed what we liked and disliked about the 333 and we couldn't come up with a negative. Oh there are a few things I don't like and will fix like plugging the lines to the washer connections because I don't want to have to fool with them when blowing out the lines after our winter trips. But that's not the fault of the trailer..
Javi - your F250 do just fine pulling your 333mks? Our TT is 6980lbs empty and my wife has it probably up to 7500 haha if not more. My 2500 just pulls away and I would assume I'll know there's 4000lbs more back there.
08 Fleetwood Niagara popup
USN Chief Retired
Tim-Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Rhonda View Post
Javi - your F250 do just fine pulling your 333mks? Our TT is 6980lbs empty and my wife has it probably up to 7500 haha if not more. My 2500 just pulls away and I would assume I'll know there's 4000lbs more back there.
We were pulling a TT very similar in weight to yours before trading up to the 333MKS and you will notice a big difference in how it pulls. The F250 and 6.7 are having no trouble pulling the weight and the stability of the 5th wheel is much better, as is the ride.

One thing I caution you on with the 2500 is tires, When I was ready to pull the trigger on this trailer I took a look at .the stock tires which were 245/75R 17's and the load range E were limited to 3195 per tire, I wanted a little more margin there so I swapped out the tires and rims for some 275/70R 18's with a load range of 3640.

We haven't finished moving stuff around in the trailer yet, there is just so much more storage in the 333MKS over our Passport 2890RL that we can't figure out where to put stuff so it's most convenient. But once we have it figured out I plan on running across a set of scales and get a pin weight.. Since the fresh water tank is at the very rear of the trailer that will have a huge effect on the pin weight between full or empty. But I'm expecting around 2100-2400 if the FW is empty.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
fvstringpicker

We looked at the 333mks yesterday. Price was just south of $40k. The total weight of 10,000+ pounds is not much concern but the pin weight may be. The sales folk was tell me the pin weight is 1865 whereas the specs (per internet) is putting it a 1,690. Some folks are saying I need to add another 400 to the advertised pin weight to get a realistic number.

I have a 2007 gmc 2500hd duramax single rear wheels. The sticker on the door tells me the max cargo weight is ~2400 lbs. If I estimate people, dogs, tools, fuel, hitch and junk at 750 I'm 40 lbs overweight with the 1,690 which wouldn't be much of a problem. But if the real "loaded" pin weight comes in at a recommended estimate of 20% of the trailer weight, I will be 300-400 lbs over. Whatjew guys think?
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Rhonda View Post
Wife and I went out and looked at a 15' 333MKS yesterday at the RV outlet in Danville, Va. What a nice 5th wheel. Love the 4 point level up system. Have been lurking on the forum for quite some time just schooling myself on the different aspects, pros and cons of this model and others cougar 5th wheel models. We are not sure if this is the one or do we want to look at others. I have been looking online for about a year and always seem to come back to the Cougars for practicality (for us), features and bang for your buck. The price seemed decent, a wee bit more than 30% off of MSRP which seems to be the normal. Any comments suggestions. Thanks in advance.
333MKS was first on our list until we saw the 327RES. We shifted gears mid stream on that one. We also bought from RV Outlet, could not have had a better experience. I had some service work done and they were on it right away knowing that I had 150+-mile round trip to get my camper back to the dealer. They got my service done ASAP on the day i told them I could. I also had a big mess up on my end and they helped with the getting parts I needed in a very timely manner.
We have looked at the 2015 327res and would consider a trade if we decide to go that way. I love the new colors and floor plans. Check that model (327res) out before you decide.
randy
PS Good luck on which ever one you decide on!

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
fvstringpicker

Ok folks, can I ask this. Does anybody know your "real" hitch weight on the 333mks?
Old 12-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Ok folks, can I ask this. Does anybody know your "real" hitch weight on the 333mks?
That's gonna depend a lot on what you put in the basement and in the bedroom closet. Then it'll depend on how full you fill the FW tank.. cause it's at the rear of the trailer behind the wheels.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
fvstringpicker

I'm trying to get some type benchmark beyond the mfg. typically understated weight. Can you give me the hitch weight if the basement and closet is empty or what your experiencing with your load? I really don't mean to be annoying. I just don't want to buy more camper than I have the wherewithal to handle.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
I'm trying to get some type benchmark beyond the mfg. typically understated weight. Can you give me the hitch weight if the basement and closet is empty or what your experiencing with your load? I really don't mean to be annoying. I just don't want to buy more camper than I have the wherewithal to handle.
In good conscience I'd have to say that if you can't safely handle 2400 lbs of pin weight then you might need another truck or another trailer. I'm reasonably certain that when I weigh mine I'm going to see 2400 give or take a few..