Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #41
duh1

Check out dodge.death wobble! It's real and not fun. Love my Chevy 2500 diesel
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh1 View Post
Look up dodge ram death rattle. Scared the heck out of me in my son's ram 3500 diesel. Thought the right front tire had gone. This is a known problem that can be a real b!!! To deal with. I love my Chevy 2500 diesel. Put 80,000 miles on
It pulling 6500 lbs and it is a dream.

Heard about and read about the "Dodge death wobble" for many years. Oddly, I've driven countless Dodge/Ram vehicles and never experienced it. I did however possibly induce it once while building up/lifting etc. a Dodge Ramcharger. During the mod process I did actually encounter some pretty severe front end gyrations. Turns out the replacement of the ball joints, track bar, tie rod ends, drag bar and power steering box completely fixed it. Drove like it was on rails on 35s or 37s. The parts replaced were already on the replace list because they had been run through the wringer by the previous owner. Here is a little excerpt from an article about the "death wobble";

It’s a phenomenon that can rear its ugly head on any solid front axle vehicle, but perhaps no other automobile (other than Jeeps) experiences it more than second and third-generation Dodge Rams. It’s called death wobble and it can give even the most seasoned drivers a case of the heebie jeebies. While the verdict is still out on the exact cause of death wobble, most instances can be traced back to worn out or damaged steering and suspension components. This includes the track bar, steering stabilizer, tie rod, drag link and even ball joints. However, a front-end that’s out of alignment, loose fasteners, improperly balanced tires and even over-or-under-inflated tires can also contribute to this uncontrollable shaking of your steering wheel.

Seems to me, as I found, proper adjustment, maintenance and replacement of faulty parts pretty much eliminates it - guess that's why I've never had it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #43
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Heard about and read about the "Dodge death wobble" for many years. Oddly, I've driven countless Dodge/Ram vehicles and never experienced it. I did however possibly induce it once while building up/lifting etc. a Dodge Ramcharger. During the mod process I did actually encounter some pretty severe front end gyrations. Turns out the replacement of the ball joints, track bar, tie rod ends, drag bar and power steering box completely fixed it. Drove like it was on rails on 35s or 37s. The parts replaced were already on the replace list because they had been run through the wringer by the previous owner. Here is a little excerpt from an article about the "death wobble";

It’s a phenomenon that can rear its ugly head on any solid front axle vehicle, but perhaps no other automobile (other than Jeeps) experiences it more than second and third-generation Dodge Rams. It’s called death wobble and it can give even the most seasoned drivers a case of the heebie jeebies. While the verdict is still out on the exact cause of death wobble, most instances can be traced back to worn out or damaged steering and suspension components. This includes the track bar, steering stabilizer, tie rod, drag link and even ball joints. However, a front-end that’s out of alignment, loose fasteners, improperly balanced tires and even over-or-under-inflated tires can also contribute to this uncontrollable shaking of your steering wheel.

Seems to me, as I found, proper adjustment, maintenance and replacement of faulty parts pretty much eliminates it - guess that's why I've never had it.
I had a 2gen Ram 2500 and never had an issue with death wobble in 80K miles. I currently have a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW and in15K of driving no issues. With both of there trucks drove over a very bad RR crossing at speed (60 mph) many times, and no issues.
The only vehicle I had a death wobble was a FORD! 1964 Econoline Van with a straight axle front end. The fix was new Kingpins.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #44
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh1 View Post
Look up dodge ram death rattle. Scared the heck out of me in my son's ram 3500 diesel. Thought the right front tire had gone. This is a known problem that can be a real b!!! To deal with. I love my Chevy 2500 diesel. Put 80,000 miles on
It pulling 6500 lbs and it is a dream.
Look up any Ford truck forum & you'll find Ford has the very same "death wobble".
Drove several 4x4 Ford's at work that had that problem.
My son had a '05-06 3500 SRW 4x4 MegaCab with 287k miles, never had the wobble & had the engine overhauled after that many miles then some SOB ran him off the road a week later while pulling his 21' offshore boat, truck was totalled, boat not damaged.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:27 AM   #45
mikz86ta

I had a 2014 Ram 1500 quad cab big Horn. Loved it!
5.7 Hemi, had a mild exhaust, S&B intake and a custom tune from Jay Greene. It was quick and towed well. Even with 3.21 differential , the 8speed trans made up for it with a great low end.
No issues. Bought it new.

I think the most issues people have you hear about are just the same as with other brands. There's bound to be a batch here and there with issues.
My girls 2013 F150 5.0 had more issues at same milage (0-50k range) than I did with the Ram. But
it's at 117k and still going welk.i
Sold my Ram 1500 at 65k miles due to the need of. A 3500 to tow with.
But I'd buy another one no probs
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #46
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I am amazed that some folks change trucks as often as babies diapers. I have had two Ram/Cummins 2500s since '94. My '94 was my favorite truck of all I have owned but for long trips the standard cab was not enough room and the completely mechanical 160 hp was not going to cut it as trailers got heavier. Sold it to a local landscaper who is still using it. My '04.5 is a quadcab (more room) and HO common rail electronic 325 hp 600 ftlb ( enough power for me) looks like it may outlive me.
Both trucks needed front end work at about 90k but aftermarket greaseable parts solved that and the '94 needed a beefed up torque converter at 110k.

Looking at the prices on new trucks and the experience I have had with mine I would go with Ram/Cummins again if I had to. JM2¢, Hank

All heavy diesel engines cause front ends to give up the ghost at about 90K miles. Ford, Chevy, Ram, makes no difference unless the truck is driven on glassy smooth roads. I just changed out the entire front end at 140K miles on my Ford clunker and it probably should have been done quite awhile earlier. Front ends, EGR issues and DEF issues on the newer diesel beasts are all just part of the joy of ownership. The chug of the international diesel overcame my common sense! ARGH
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #47
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
All heavy diesel engines cause front ends to give up the ghost at about 90K miles. Ford, Chevy, Ram, makes no difference unless the truck is driven on glassy smooth roads. I just changed out the entire front end at 140K miles on my Ford clunker and it probably should have been done quite awhile earlier. Front ends, EGR issues and DEF issues on the newer diesel beasts are all just part of the joy of ownership. The chug of the international diesel overcame my common sense! ARGH
Had 2 GMC 3500 dually Duramax's.
The '05 had 176k when traded, never any frontend work, had original brake pads front/rear with still over a 1/4" of pad left, it didn't use DEF & never any engine issues.
The '13 when sold had 140k, never any frontend work, original brake pads looked nearly new, used a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF every 3-3.5k miles @ average of $11 a jug, 1 recall on DEF pump, turbo failed while under warranty.
Both got 8.5-11.5 mpg towing at 68 mph (1700rpm was the sweet spot on both) & 15-18 mpg average & the mileage on both was towing 50%+/- of the time a 16-16.5k 5th wheel.
Most that don't have or want a diesel always bring up the high cost of maintenance, in 10 years/over 300k on 2 trucks I can honestly say I never noticed the huge difference over any of the gassers I've owned. Nowadays with all the turbos, electronic everything on all of them, gas or diesel, the maintenance could be high on all & us shadetree mechanics are just about out of business.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #48
notanlines

Danny, I wish that Ford truck salesman would bring your wife back. Maybe then you’d stay on-topic and stop the Ford bashing .
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #49
travelin texans

Just call it like it is!!
Fix Or Repair Daily!
Didn't realize I was bashing any particular make in that last post, just stating my experience.
Sorry you're so sensitive about mentioning anything negative about the brand you own.
Just FYI, My wife wouldn't get close enough to a Ford dealership for me to worry about your comments, she likes them less than I do.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-15-2019, 02:55 PM   #50
RFmixer

Ram1500

I've had every brand truck (except Ford) over 50 years and this is my first Dodge/RAM truck. I bought it a year old w/10K miles on it. I have to say it is the best running and riding truck I have owned. I have 2 trailers one is a 5x10 enclosed trailer (3200 lb loaded) and the other is a Bullet 248RKS (6300 lbs loaded). I get a consistent 19 mpg pulling the 5x10,and 13-14 mpg towing the Bullet. On non-tow highway trips I have gotten as much as 25 mpg. Better mpg than any other truck I've had. So far (27K miles)I've had no issues. The integrated trailer brake, tow/haul mode, and cylinder deactivation works great. At least this has been my experience.

RF
2017 RAM1500 Quadcab 4x4 8spd
Bullet 248RKS
RFmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #51
WestCoastWanderer

Love my 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Great truck with great options. 5.7 gasser gets it done.
WestCoastWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:21 PM   #52
Ragermack

Love my truck!

2018 3500 Bighorn Diesel
Ragermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #53
WestCoastWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just call it like it is!!
Fix Or Repair Daily!
Didn't realize I was bashing any particular make in that last post, just stating my experience.
Sorry you're so sensitive about mentioning anything negative about the brand you own.
Just FYI, My wife wouldn't get close enough to a Ford dealership for me to worry about your comments, she likes them less than I do.
Or . . . spell FORD backwards - Driver Returns On Foot.
WestCoastWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:39 AM   #54
kksfish

2017 3500 SRW diesel- This is the first Dodge truck I have personally owned and I would definitely get another one. Currently at about 40K miles with zero issues other than some tire balance complaints that I hope to resolve with new tires soon!

I have always been a Chevrolet truck owner for the last 40 years but after deciding to get a diesel I talked with lots of Dodge owners and decided to go Cummins!

Death Wobble....I did experience it once in a Jeep Cherokee Sport that was my work vehicle while traveling about 75 mph on I95 N.....it’s something I wouldn’t want to do again and it’s not nearly as much fun as it sounds!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:36 PM   #55
greyhair

Owner of 2018 Ram 3500 and I use this for towing our rv. Choose this rather than our Ford 350 since I feel like it is smoother when I go uphill or downhill. Replaced my towing hitch to this 25,000 lb towing capacity https://www.ramsareus.com/sku/82214743.html just 4 months ago since my old is rattling when the road is a little rough. Overall a ram 3500 when it comes to towing has more features for towing a 5th wheel.
greyhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:49 AM   #56
Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhair View Post
Owner of 2018 Ram 3500 and I use this for towing our rv. Choose this rather than our Ford 350 since I feel like it is smoother when I go uphill or downhill. Replaced my towing hitch to this 25,000 lb towing capacity https://www.ramsareus.com/sku/82214743.html just 4 months ago since my old is rattling when the road is a little rough. Overall a ram 3500 when it comes to towing has more features for towing a 5th wheel.
I have the same truck only mine came with the 30k Mopar hitch. My question is, is your hitch noisy? When I leave a stop there is a loud clunk and I can sometimes hear it when I stop. I have narrowed it down to the pin that holds the fifth wheel plate itself. That pin hole seems too large.

I am going to have the Ram dealer look at it when it's in for other small warrantee issues.
2002 DCB with twin Mercury 300x's
2013 Avalon 2685 with Honda 250
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #57
slimchancepistolero

wife has a 2019 Ram Laramie 1500 w/etorque and MDS .. town 19 mpg .. hwy 20 -21 mpg .. when you use Tow/Haul the start stop etorque cuts out ... i had a 2019 Laramie 1500 for 6 months, 10,000 miles w/etorque and MDS, this was the best trk i ever had, nearly killed me to get rid of it BUT the 1577# payload was not nearly enough for our new 10,300# 5er, ... so traded it on a 2019 Ram Big Horn 6.4 Hemi with the 3.73 rear ane 2821# payload using a B&W Companion .. the 2500 rides more like a trk but is still more comfortable the older Dodges ... fuelly say this trk get 14.8 mpg ... NO problems with either of these 3 trks .. 5thGenRams.com is the place to read about Rams
2010 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 195rb
2019 Ram 1500 Larime Hemi w/eTorque quad cab
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L Hemi 5th whl prep
slimchancepistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #58
mtofell

Overall, I'm happy with my 2014 Ram 2500 Hemi. 90K miles and things are going well. Two fairly big repairs (both covered under warranty) - tranny blew at 38K under basically zero load - just sitting in traffic w/o towing anything. Exhaust manifold bolts on both sides came loose @ 85K. Thankfully, I have the Lifetime warranty (no longer offered btw).

I've had all the major brands of cars over the years either personally or for my company and am really not brand loyal at all. If I were shopping today I'd look first at another Ram. I feel they give you more for your money than the others.

Service is noticeably below what I received with my last truck (Chevy) but it's not terrible. You just have to be ready to call BS on the dealership sometimes when they try to dick you around. I suppose that's any brand these days.

Buying packs of oil changes can save you a lot. I pay about what I can buy supplies for plus it's nice having it done at the dealer for warranty documentation and since there always seems to be a recall or update that needs to be done.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote