Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2022, 10:11 AM   #1
Pathman

Solar battery charge during storage?

So, does everyone with solar leave the battery hooked up during winter storage outdoors?
2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi 4:10 gears.
2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
Pathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:30 AM   #2
jxnbbl

Due to my area, the temps and snow. I always take mine out and have them on trickle charge. When it is "active storage" (meaning I will take a trip in a couple of months) I leave them in and the panels keep it topped off all the time.

When snow covers the panels it gets 0 energy (experience with my house solar). The difference between my trailer and the house panels is the angle, the snow eventually slides off at least some...and then the sun will melt the rest of the snow on the house panels....that would not be the case on the trailer.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:46 AM   #3
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Due to my area, the temps and snow. I always take mine out and have them on trickle charge. When it is "active storage" (meaning I will take a trip in a couple of months) I leave them in and the panels keep it topped off all the time.

When snow covers the panels it gets 0 energy (experience with my house solar). The difference between my trailer and the house panels is the angle, the snow eventually slides off at least some...and then the sun will melt the rest of the snow on the house panels....that would not be the case on the trailer.
Yes snow cover for an Extended period could be an issue. How long at “0” energy would become an issue?
2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi 4:10 gears.
2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
Pathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #4
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathman View Post
Yes snow cover for an Extended period could be an issue. How long at “0” energy would become an issue?
I'd suggest if you're getting harsh enough winters to worry about snow covering the panels for days, it might be best to remove the batteries to indoor storage on a battery maintainer. I use the Battery Tender brand on both the Cougar and the Ram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL3546.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	569.9 KB
ID:	41936  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #5
jxnbbl

Although it hasn't happened in the past few winters, using the roof of an unheated shed as a gauge....It might be snow covered from December through march...so its too long imo. The technical answer really depends on the unintended draw of the trailer and current health of the battery.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:05 PM   #6
peanut

Couple of things in play. First, is there a PV (solar) disconnect?
Second, what type of battery - LA or lithium?

IMO there should be a solar disconnect (yeah, I know there are different opinions on this but I interpret the code to require a disconnect). Switch it off and electric flow stops at the switch - - just like flipping a light switch in the house. No juice is going to the batteries. If you leave the trailer plugged in the converter will maintain the batteries. If not, take them out and maintain in the garage.

Just as important is are the batteries LA or lithium. LA batteries like being stored at or near 100% SOC. So letting the converter trickle charge them or trickle charging them in the garage is good. Lithium batteries do not like being stored at 100% SOC. They are best (long term) stored at between 40% to 60% SOC. Easier to control during storage if no charger - solar or converter - is hooked up to them.

I have lithium and 400 watts of solar. For winter storage I plan to disconnect the solar and discharge the battery to around 50% SOC. I'll check every month or so and if the SOC drops too low I will plug in and let the converter charge back to around 50%. (the Victron smart shunt w/bluetooth makes checking the battery condition easy. if you don't have it I would surely recommend one)

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #7
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I'd suggest if you're getting harsh enough winters to worry about snow covering the panels for days, it might be best to remove the batteries to indoor storage on a battery maintainer. I use the Battery Tender brand on both the Cougar and the Ram.

Canonman - - just wanted to say how much I enjoy your photos. They are gorgeous.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar, storage