Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
mcaliebe

4G LTE Setup

Does anyone know how to setup the new 4G LTE that Keystone is providing in their new trailers? I haven't even found it yet.
mcaliebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:06 AM   #2
nied

Is this what you are looking for:
https://fccid.io/2ABH3-FAN17/User-Ma...Manual-3959580
nied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
mcaliebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nied View Post
I honestly can't say. I don't know where they placed it.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:11 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Have you had a chance to call the dealer. Got me curious
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
xrated

I clicked on the link above and started reading the info. I could be wrong, but what it looks like is that Keystone has provided the base for the router, mounted somewhere on the ceiling of the RV. It is a base that I'm guessing is "pre-wired" and if you want to be able to use it, then you purchase the Furrion WiFi router and slide it onto the base. Of course you will have to buy the cell service too. Check the ceiling of your RV and see if you can find something like I am describing.

Edit.....it looks like they also provided a rooftop antenna for the router...if you decide to buy it. There may...or may not be some info about subscribing to cell services and maybe some discounts or ???? That part is just a guess though.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
ChuckS

Be aware if you decide to go this route and purchase the Furion router it is used on their dedicated Furrion network for LTE services and will cost you money for a monthly plan...

I’d venture to say using your own cell network with an after market setup would be much more viable...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	500EF69C-BF4F-45ED-A5A3-F1BDB4A2BAFD.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	19462  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
Logan X

If you get it figured out and start using it, I am interested to hear how well it works.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
mcaliebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Have you had a chance to call the dealer. Got me curious
I've called the dealer and they know nothing either. I'm really disappointed in how little the dealerships know about what the sell, and even more disappointed in how little documentation Keystone provides. I have switches that no one knows what they are for.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s not uncommon at all for the sales staff not to know what they sell. I see it all the time. I get sales people bringing a potential buyer to me a lot to ask what something is. LOL.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

In regard to those phantom switches, mix yourself an adult drink and start walking around and throwing switches. The beverage selection will limit the search time

As far as that 4G router, I would make sure that system does not require its own data plan, ie can not be shared with your other devices/plans. I would think as previously suggested it would be better to work up your own system around devices/plans you have now. Just my two cents or less
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Years ago Sony did a similar "stunt" with their Betamax video system. Unique, couldn't use the competition's video cassettes and cornered the market. I see today's offerings as "standard equipment" in travel trailers as much the same ploy....

A solar charger company sells their "solar adapter" to Keystone for pennys, a charger that's designed to only work with their "reverse connected plugs" and their solar panels. They have a "captive audience" that has a choice of either buying the rest of the system at a substantial cost or leave the system unused while installing a competition's system.

I wonder if Furrion's attempt to offer a WIFI extender antenna/router mount is headed down the same road? They "give" the mounting system to Keystone who adds it to every trailer and the owners are then faced with either buying the rest of the Furrion system, doing without or installing the competition's system at added expense..... Then add the "proprietary cellular service subscription" and it's a win/win for Furrion and an added expense for the owner....

Very much like the "Sirius radio option" that's included as part of every Ford package with leather interior..... Or so it seems. Free 6 months service, get you hooked then charge $250 a year (you can haggle and get it cheaper)... I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that Sirius is "giving" all those radios to Ford for next to nothing (at a loss) knowing they'll make it up in radio program subscriptions.....

I wonder if the solar packages and the WIFI packages are headed in that direction?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

I know that the solar systems try to use proprietary plugs, but you can get adapters to use say “go power” panels with a Furrion plug.

Wineguard has a WiFi router, I think it’s called “connect” and it requires its own data plan as it was explained to me.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #13
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Years ago Sony did a similar "stunt" with their Betamax video system. Unique, couldn't use the competition's video cassettes and cornered the market.
Saddly Betamax was superior to VHS format, it was however a single vendor offering and did not become main stream. Chris
Old 12-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #14
Jonnyjuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaliebe View Post
Does anyone know how to setup the new 4G LTE that Keystone is providing in their new trailers? I haven't even found it yet.
Mine is located right inside the door to the right on the way to my bedroom on a 2019 montana 3700lk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	19463  
Jonnyjuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #15
Jonnyjuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaliebe View Post
Here is a picture of the actual unit
Www.furrion.com/access in the site they reference
But from what I can tell you have to buy the actual plug in piece from a dealer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	19465  
Old 12-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #16
Jonnyjuno

Which switches I had to run around mine to figure out what they were I am pretty sure the set of 3 switches inside the control cabinet next to my iN·command controller are for the tank heaters haha but I have no idea
Old 12-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #17
Jonnyjuno

If it is installed on your coach it should have the roof antenna aswell and the pictures above wall mount thing on a wall near your control switches
From my research the ceiling unit is for aftermarket use and ¿doesn’t require the roof antenna? As far as the data plan I’m uncertain but it says right on it it is also a WiFi booster so I don’t think you have to have the 4g LTE data plan through furrion in order to use the WiFi booster part
Old 12-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #18
Jonnyjuno

Also I am trying to get the u it from my dealer Simi rv I’ll keep everyone posted on my progress
Old 12-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

I am not an expert but:
1. $50 for 5 gigs of data is a bit silly and wouldn't allow for any movies for sure
2. You need internet for a router and if you can use your smart phone for a hot spot and have an unlimited plan, not sure why a router is needed in a trailer as the hot spot signal will sure get anywhere in such a small space
3. The secret of technology is to transfer cash from your pocket to someone else's
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am not an expert but:
1. $50 for 5 gigs of data is a bit silly and wouldn't allow for any movies for sure
2. You need internet for a router and if you can use your smart phone for a hot spot and have an unlimited plan, not sure why a router is needed in a trailer as the hot spot signal will sure get anywhere in such a small space
3. The secret of technology is to transfer cash from your pocket to someone else's
So very true !!!!!

I've seen so much "give it to the RV manufacturers for free and we can make a fortune off the customers when they try to use it" kind of options..... From what I can see, this is another of those kinds of "upgrades".

I just wonder if it will work as a "WIFI booster/extender" with the rooftop antenna and the router to improve the campground WIFI reception without buying the "data package" from LTE ???

One thing we can all be "sure of" is that Keystone isn't providing this to us at their expense..... Somebody is paying for it and ultimately, that means a price increase for the trailer MSRP..... I suppose it boils down to which is more important, better tires or WIFI ??? Looks like now we know the answer....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote