Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #21
donaldN01

My 2 Cents

For what it's worth, I purchased the Furion camera/marker light tit just replaces the Center marker/running light on the rear of the camper. No need for additional power wiring. The only draw back is the marker/running light must be on for the camera to work. I only use the camera for rear view and backup so this is not a problem. If you want to use it as an "observation camera" this will not work.
donaldN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #22
Glider

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldN01 View Post
For what it's worth, I purchased the Furion camera/marker light tit just replaces the Center marker/running light on the rear of the camper. No need for additional power wiring. The only draw back is the marker/running light must be on for the camera to work. I only use the camera for rear view and backup so this is not a problem. If you want to use it as an "observation camera" this will not work.
I guess it depends on the model of Furrion camera. My Furrion Vision S works as both observation and backup. It also can be used with motion sensors as well for security.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #23
donaldN01

Glider, I was saying this will not work as an observation camera because there will be no power to the camera once the tow vehicle is disconnected. If you power it from the RV battery it can be on all the time and work as an observation camera. I just used the Marker light wiring to avoid additional wiring.
donaldN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #24
Twisties

Timely thread for me. I'll give the FHD unit wiredgeorge linked a try.
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #25
Northofu1

Wired RVS camera with pig tail all the way.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #26
Hblick48

I put together my own wireless observation setup from components on Amazon. Wireless worked great with no noticeable delay. Noticed that it would randomly cut out, especially bad on congested roads. One day the RV park manager asked if I had a camera on my rig. Seems as if my back side neighbor would pick up my signal on his display when pulling into parking space.

Figured out that all of the other people with wireless cameras (and TPMS) operate at the same frequency. That's why interference was bad in heavy traffic. I hard wired the camera, just a small additional plug when hitching. Now I have solid signal, never breaks up, and it's real time.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #27
wiredgeorge

As the OP, I wasn't thinking about using the rear view camera for when unhooked for observation. OK, FIRST, John is off my Christmas list for suggesting a wired system. Got the system I mentioned on my birthday (the 4th) and began install. Notes on install:

1. Hire somebody if you have the money; not sure who would install a wired rear view system

2. Get a 10A Mini Fuse Tap Add-A-Circuit - this allows you to easily connect the hot wire from the system into a fuse. The fuse will say IGNITION or similar. I stuffed a wire (hot) into the ignition fuse socket with the original fuse. It will be replaced once I get the Add-A-Circuit connector which will allow use of 2 fuses; one for the ignition and one for a wire coming off which will be connected to the rear view camera system.

3. Hardest thing to figure out was how to get the 60' long coax end out near the hitch. I ended up getting into my front storage and prying up the fiberglass under belly on the nose and shoving it under the fiberglass skin/ There is a piece of plywood between skin and frame and it is screwed into the frame so unless you took the fiberglass all the way off, you can't get it out. I pried enough to get the connector through.

4. Fab an L shaped bracket to hold the bulkhead connector out front on the hitch. I used a piece of steel blank, made a 1" hole and two small holes for the retaining screws and drilled a 1/4" hole to retain it to the hitch. Painted it black first to hold off rust.

5. Once the front bulkhead is connected I pushed the 60' of cable (still rolled up) through a hole in the back of the propane cabinet on the driver side. Then dropped the cable down to pull to the back. This is where John falls off my Christmas card list... I have road base on my RV parking spot and no matter how many Chewy boxes I lay down, I get beat up crawling under the camper. Just kidding John. Pulled the wire to the back and tied it using wire ties so it didn't get in the path of the brakes or suspension.

6. Pulled the wire up the back of the trailer and covered the wire in self stick cable sheathing. Connect the camera bracket up using two screws and then put the camera in and hook it up and the trailer is ready to go.

THE TRUCK

Easier to do the work compare to the trailer as it is on asphalt.

1. Drilled a 1" in hole next to my 7 pin in the bed and used sheet metal screws to retain the bulkhead connector to the bed sidewall.

2. Connect the 30' length of cable to the and pull it up front following the truck's wiring loom and tie it to the loom using cable ties. Under my front mat are predrilled holes with rubber plugs. I popped one out and pulled the coax through and then hid it under the driver kick panel near the emergency brake. Run the coax up under the dash.

3. The monitor is sitting on my dash to the left of the wheel and there is a pigtail that connects with two coax connectors and a green wire for connecting to a reverse light if you want it only as a backup camera. The other two wires are red and black. Connect black to a frame screw and the red to that Add-A-Circuit piece and you are good to go.

Camera has a nice picture with decent color. The wireless cheapo units I have had in the past always had washed out color when they did work. Anyway, thanks to John who pointed me in the wired direction as I think it will avoid issues in the future. Even if the monitor or camera take a dump, the wiring is in so replacement will not be problematic. Good luck! BTW: Hard to find any 5th wheel wired install videos on youtube.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

George,

It's "Miller Time"….. (you've earned it)

PS: I wasn't expecting anything for Christmas, but since you put it the way you did, I'll stop checking the mailbox every day.....

PSS: Glad it worked out for you and that you now have a system that receives video and actually works....

PSSS: When I did mine, I used zip-ties to secure the cable to the gas line along the trailer frame, ran it up (into the trailer) inside a floor to ceiling cabinet, then drilled a 3/4" hole to pass the camera connector into the trailer from under the center clearance light. That's also in a cabinet, so no cables are visible inside the trailer....

I ran the "truck end of the trailer cable" up through the cutout for the landing gear, coiled all the extra cable above the center cargo door and used a "fish steel" to pull the end into the pinbox "above the fiberglass skin" and installed the connector there. The coiled cable is wrapped around the 7 pin cable and both are run to the "in-bed connectors" on the inside of the PU box....

Anyway, sorry about the rocks under your trailer, hopefully your skin will heal and you won't need to get under it again, at least for camera wiring.....

PSSSS: With a name like "wiredgeorge" you can't possibly be satisfied with a wireless video system anyway..... <just sayin'>

Merry Christmas !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #29
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
George,

It's "Miller Time"….. (you've earned it)

PS: I wasn't expecting anything for Christmas, but since you put it the way you did, I'll stop checking the mailbox every day.....

PSS: Glad it worked out for you and that you now have a system that receives video and actually works....

PSSS: When I did mine, I used zip-ties to secure the cable to the gas line along the trailer frame, ran it up (into the trailer) inside a floor to ceiling cabinet, then drilled a 3/4" hole to pass the camera connector into the trailer from under the center clearance light. That's also in a cabinet, so no cables are visible inside the trailer....

I ran the "truck end of the trailer cable" up through the cutout for the landing gear, coiled all the extra cable above the center cargo door and used a "fish steel" to pull the end into the pinbox "above the fiberglass skin" and installed the connector there. The coiled cable is wrapped around the 7 pin cable and both are run to the "in-bed connectors" on the inside of the PU box....

Anyway, sorry about the rocks under your trailer, hopefully your skin will heal and you won't need to get under it again, at least for camera wiring.....

PSSSS: With a name like "wiredgeorge" you can't possibly be satisfied with a wireless video system anyway..... <just sayin'>

Merry Christmas !!!!!
Many thanks for putting me on the right path with the wired system. I don't have a "fish steel" so stuck a 3' rifle cleaning rod through from the front and zip tied the cable connector and pulled it through from the front. My gas line is on the passenger side so just followed all the wires for the tank sensors to behind the rear shackle and tied up the extra wire and stuffed it up in a recess behind the bumper. It would have been difficult to fish the wire up through the back wall as there is a galley gray tank sitting in the way and a big window across the back. There are no cupboards on either side that go floor to ceiling. And being a 2002 trailer, the amount of dried dirt under the trailer made looking up nasty... missus made me go shower as soon as I got in the house... looked like that Canadian Prez in blackface bwhahahaha
Old 12-07-2019, 05:11 AM   #30
efrulla

Furion has 2 types of cameras. One intended solely for backing up and another higher end model to be used full time. I have the higher end model and have seen absolutely no delay in the the camera display. I use it for exactly what you are discussing. Tailgaters and people who are not tailgating but getting ready to pass. The only complaint I have is the depth of view is not as long as I would like it to be but it gets the job done that I need to get done.

Ed Frulla
MyRVNotes.com
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:25 AM   #31
Northofu1

I installed mine.
The main run was zip tied in a loom along the gas line for the main run. Used an adhesive backed raceway on the back of the rv. Painted raceway to match trailer. Spooled excess where second battery should go.
Had an issue with pigtail on East coast trip, they sent me free the whole wiring kit, which came in handy when I traded in truck.
It took my brother and I a couple hours, no rocks under trailer.
No regrets.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #32
jim1

Our 315RLS came pre-wired for a rear camera, I installed a Furrion observation camera. The only issue was the camera was wired to be on all the time. I found the lead wires in the rear cupboard storage area wired to the hot lead on one of the over head lights. Easy fix removed one of the lights to gain access to the wires then cut small hole for a switch between the 2 lights on the bottom of the cupboard and wired in the switch. It works great while traveling or as an observation camera when you bring the monitor in and plug it into a 12v adapter. Only issue is sometimes I forget to turn it on or off before I put the slides in, oh well live and learn. Also installed Furrion side view cameras they all have excellent pictures, and they are wired into a switch mounted in the propane compartment wired to a fuse link then the battery. All three can be viewed at the same time or individualy and as observation security cameras.
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #33
wiredgeorge

I have a 2002 and Furrion wasn't in the game and my camper isn't wired for a rear view camera and I have no desire to have an "observation" camera when I am camping or otherwise. I figured out how to look out a window! And as far as that 2 1/2 hour install:

1. Ain't got a brother or anyone I am on speaking terms with
2. Too cheap for blacktop on my RV slot on the property
3. It takes me 47 minutes to brush my tooth at my age (dang kids... someday you will feel like you were run over by a truck on days when you had to install a camera system)
Old 12-08-2019, 02:38 AM   #34
sherlosttraveler

just bought a haloview on amazon
Haloview MC5111 5'' 720P HD Digital Wireless Backup Camera System 5'' LCD Rear View Monitor and IP69K Waterproof

also bought the back plate and adapter plug for the pre installed furrion rear camera housing.

Haloview B-F02 Backup Camera Bracket Adapter Compatible with Furrion Pre-Wired RVs for Haloview MC5111/CA109 Camera

It works great and only took 30 mins. to install only thing I had to do is take electrical tape and electrical liquid tape to cover the antenna hole on the furrion camera housing . because the the haloview antenna is on the left side of camera. but fits great just cover the hole on right side of preinstall cover so no water gets in.
display is only 5 inch but has great video feed and is easy to use.
I think i paid only $199 for both.
sherlosttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote