Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
penra

Best Rig for full timing?

Looking at 5ers with the criteria of:
  • Space for two people and occasional guests
  • Kitchen counter and storage space
  • Well insulated and dual pane windows
  • Dual AC and 35k furnace
  • Prefer to not exceed 35 feet length
  • Fifth wheel

Montana, what is the difference between High country and not?
Also looking at KZ Durango Gold and 2500.
thanks in advance for thoughts and opinions!
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Ask if living in it full time voids the warranty. Not all models are designated “full time”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by penra View Post
Check the level of winterizing, if my memory serves me.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
The biggest difference in the Montana and the Montana High Country is the weight reduction techniques. The Montana is built on a more robust frame, has solid floors and more solid wood in cabinet frames/doors, etc.

The Montana High Country is constructed with what Keystone used to call, "Helium Technology". That's "buzz words" for lightweight construction. Smaller (thinner and not as large) frame rails on the shorter models (Montana uses larger frame rails in all models regardless of length), laminated (thin plywood/Styrofoam/thin plywood) floors, hardwood stiles/door fronts in cabinets.

For what it's worth, both "look nice" and would seem durable.... IMHO, there's no way, with current construction techniques, that a trailer weighing 2,000 pounds less than a similar floorplan can both share the same strength livability and durability.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
penra

Quote:
The biggest difference in the Montana and the Montana High Country is the weight reduction techniques. The Montana is built on a more robust frame, has solid floors and more solid wood in cabinet frames/doors, etc.

The Montana High Country is constructed with what Keystone used to call, "Helium Technology". That's "buzz words" for lightweight construction. Smaller (thinner and not as large) frame rails on the shorter models (Montana uses larger frame rails in all models regardless of length), laminated (thin plywood/Styrofoam/thin plywood) floors, hardwood stiles/door fronts in cabinets.

For what it's worth, both "look nice" and would seem durable.... IMHO, there's no way, with current construction techniques, that a trailer weighing 2,000 pounds less than a similar floorplan can both share the same strength livability and durability.
I do see the difference now in construction details; the High country has much the same construction (as defined on the website but that always leaves me wanting more detail), but the High country goes lighter, 10" I beam on smaller rigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 5.04.07 PM.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	21989  
Old 05-28-2019, 10:35 PM   #6
John&Genny

I think if I was full timing, I would go with a Grand Design Solitude, or Montana (not the High Country).
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:24 AM   #7
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Yes and the Montana also has better electronics, appliances, and it has hydraulic slides and levelers versus electric and cable for the High Country. I see the High Country as basically a Cougar with a drop frame.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:27 AM   #8
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
I think if I was full timing, I would go with a Grand Design Solitude, or Montana (not the High Country).
I'd have to agree, I looked at all 3

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:00 AM   #9
gearhead

I'm repeating myself, but for the price of a new Montana you can get a nice used DRV.
Otherwise, John is spot on as to the differences.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:14 PM   #10
penra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'm repeating myself, but for the price of a new Montana you can get a nice used DRV.
thanks, I had not heard of DRV but they look good, I'll broaden my search.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #11
Snoking

Quote:
DRV's are not without similar problems of almost all RV's. I think an used Hitchhiker would be a better deal.

You can look for a sticker like this one that is on your Big Horn 3575el. We full timed in it for 1.5 years and now it is our summer home. The difference between towing and finding sites for a 35' vs a 39' like ours in minimal. Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190529_162617.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	21998  
Old 05-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
If going with the DRV, new or used, it WILL require a diesel dually as they are very heavy.
Another thought! If you did happen to find a good used Hitchhiker it will 10+ years old & nowadays, unless you plan to only stay at state/national parks, a good many of privately owned parks have an age limit of 10 years old to be allowed in their park.
We started fulltimg in '08 with a used '02 FR Cedar Creek that we quickly traded due to constantly repairing something at every stop. Traded for a '09 Big Country which after 4 years of fulltiming was showing severe signs of wear even with TLC on our part.
Traded it for a '13 Redwood (sold it in Jan this year) which after 6+ years of fulltiming & same TLC looked as good as new. I would recommend a used Redwood long before a used DRV, IMHO same fit/finish/livability at less weight & $$$$!
All this said to point out to not go too cheap for fultiming, but find something that you & DW are comfortable living in while traveling this beautiful country.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:26 AM   #13
notanlines

Penra, maybe we could better serve your needs if you could tell us your budget constraints and your tow vehicle. You must have some idea of what your maximum price might be for an RV.
It is very common for owners of lesser quality items to talk down a more expensive product. Try to put those comments in perspective and listen to opinions more open minded. All the brands previously mentioned can possibly serve you well, it will depend on the condition of the used RV, does it contain the amenities you require, and do you have a TV with enough 'kick-butt' to handle the load.
Of all the recommendations above (yes, I read them all) the main point you might want to keep in mind is to avoid a ten year old unit as stated by TT. It is simply not a good idea.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:27 AM   #14
gearhead

X2 on the Redwood. I think there was change a few years back to putting heavier rated axles (8,000#?) under them. I would want to stay on the good side of that upgrade.
Depends on how you use it and where. If you will park it somewhere for 6 months and then move just 200 miles, or if you will be moving every week and going to all 4 corners of the country. If travelling a lot I would look for 17.5 wheels and disc brakes. And just me, I would have to have full body paint.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

If "money is no object" and you're looking for one of the "best available custom coaches" then take a look at the New Horizons Majestic line. They start about 35 feet and go up to 48 feet. Pricing (MSRP) ranges from about $160-250K before options. Coaches go upwards of $300K "fully equipped".

New Horizons is the only (AFAIK) that offers a written "guaranteed to withstand -10F temps with no freezing in any plumbing in the trailer".

They are heavy, 16K for a 35' and over 25K for the larger units.

I realize this is an "extreme unit" but when it comes to a "true fulltime RV" few brands are as durable, comfortable and reliable as the New Horizons.

Yes, they do make "cheaper models", ranging from around $100K-200K.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #16
penra

Quote:
X2 on the Redwood. I think there was change a few years back to putting heavier rated axles (8,000#?) under them. I would want to stay on the good side of that upgrade.
Depends on how you use it and where. If you will park it somewhere for 6 months and then move just 200 miles, or if you will be moving every week and going to all 4 corners of the country. If travelling a lot I would look for 17.5 wheels and disc brakes. And just me, I would have to have full body paint.
Thanks to all on this forum for sharing your experience, as a newbie it can be overwhelming to consider the options.
I bought an Outback 328RL and my major disappointment is lack of insulation (hot and cold) and space is so tight in the bathroom and bedroom. Otherwise it is a beautiful TT. Aside from my lack of experience (running out of propane and thinking the thermostat was bad ) no problems.
We have two leased lots in Washington and many people here have Park Models. I don't like them and would rather invest $70-80k on a rig that is movable but still comfortable in the early spring and fall (we plan to go south in Winter).
I don't have a tow vehicle yet. I was hoping to get a 3/4 ton HD (diesel) but am fine with a 1 ton SRW. Having only the TV in the south means driving it everywhere and I hate the idea of driving a DRW around town. From what I can glean on this forum (good info) it looks like I want to be under 14,000 on trailer weight.
I am considering getting a big 5er that can be parked year round and smaller 5er that we can take south (Cougar 315RLS is my number one at this time).
As to price range, $50-70k for the big one would be great. I think I can trade the Outback back to the dealer as it's only two months old.
thanks again!
Old 05-31-2019, 04:56 AM   #17
gearhead

If you really really don't want a DRW, I would just go to a TT and stay away from 5th wheels. You may eventually want to upgrade and a DRW will be required, or preferred.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:57 AM   #18
Snoking

Quote:
If you really really don't want a DRW, I would just go to a TT and stay away from 5th wheels. You may eventually want to upgrade and a DRW will be required, or preferred.
Have you ever owned one?
Old 05-31-2019, 06:29 AM   #19
penra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Have you ever owned one?
Are you asking about Dually or TT?
Old 05-31-2019, 06:34 AM   #20
Snoking

Quote: