Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
travelin texans

Pets??

I started this in a welcome response to a new forum member, but thought it best to start a new thread
Why is it that folks have multiple pets in rvs?? 4 dogs to deal with? Why 4?
Every RV sales site you look at the 1st items on the description of a used rv are "non smoker, no pets" which the non smoker is 50/50, but no pets is more like 90/10 that there were multiple pets.
We are the odd ones, once we went fulltime we did not want pets, always had them til then, to hinder us from going when/where we wanted.
We met a couple that carry a zoo along, dogs, cats, birds, reptiles all in a too small (it was 38', but too small for all that inside) of a 5th wheel.
I think the German Shepherd guy on here shows his dogs, that's another thing altogether, but those that just have take multiple pets puzzles me.
The other question is when did EVERYONE have to take their pet into every place they go. If they are a registered service dog that's not a problem for me, but it should be marked with a vest or something apparent that it is in fact a service dog, not just cause they can't leave Fifi home alone.
Ok now let me have it from all the pet owners out there!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
Thomasbeau

We have two cats and a Jack Russell terrier at home. When we travel the cats stay home but the dog always travels with us. My DW loves the dog probably more than she loves me so the dog always tags along. But we are always aware of where we can take her and where we can't. We use the "Bring Fido" app and make informed decisions when eating out and day trips. And when it doesn't work out the dog can spend a little time in the 5th wheel. The dog weighs less than 20 lbs so she doesn't take up much room in our 33FT unit.
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

From a guy that always had "yard" dogs and hunting dogs with a sort of detached attachment to them and now a guy that has a pup, that found me, that I'm almost inseparable from, I can empathize with your statements. I also have to point out that she is totally dependent on us and her world revolves around DW and I so I keep that in mind with every decision I make regarding her.

We travel a lot; as much without the RV as with. I know where we can take pup and can't. If she isn't allowed we either don't go, take the RV or leave her at a trusted kennel. Although she is a service dog we refuse to take her in most stores (puppy stores, PetSmart we do) and certainly not restaurants because so many don't like it and I'm there so puppy doesn't have to be. There are very few, and I mean very few, instances where a service dog is required every single place a person goes. Blind folks I understand and there are a few others, but to see folks wandering around in Home Depot with nothing wrong with them, sitting in a restaurant etc. when they are obviously just pushing the boundaries doesn't sit well with me. Unfortunately, now that we have the classification of "comfort dog" (what in the heck is that?) many, many folks abuse the service dog classification. Comfort dogs do not enjoy the same benefits of a true service dog but many owners try to take advantage of that due to so many folks that don't know the difference and don't want to run afoul of the ADA. If you ever see a dog being touted as a "service dog" but it won't shut up barking, constantly carries on or anything else you can rest assured that dog has never been trained.

Now, back to why would anyone carry 4 dogs etc.? I have no idea. Our one pup takes all of our time and we treat her better than we did any kid we had. She is extremely well behaved, makes no mess (except bringing her toys to us), doesn't bark (unless someone approaches me in the dark and I'm unaware) etc. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to have 4 dogs that acted/reacted the same way. I couldn't do it and wouldn't want to - plus, at $43 night at the kennel x 4 for 2 weeks...??? Not for me.

Little brother had 4 people and 3 dogs and that's the exact reason he bought an RV. He got down to him, his DW and 1 dog. He had tremendous trouble trying to get his new 5th wheel repaired and so he sold it simply because the initial reason for buying it (all the folks and dogs) was gone and all the hassle.

To each his own I guess but I will say I have a REAL peeve against those that think they don't need to pick up after their dog(s). I see it all the time and it is more than aggravating. I've confronted folks, loaned them bags etc. My neighbor in FL watches them, picks up their poop, puts a note on it saying (pick up your s***) and places it on a step. Does it work? I don't know.

So now Danny, I'm sure I've opened the door(s) for many more comments. Seems like a good day for a discussion!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

We have a 20 year old totally blind chihuahua that my wife won't trust to our pet sitter when we camp. The ol' pup doesn't bark or fuss; just needs taken out now and again and food and water. My wife loves the dog. I love my wife. We also take Honey Bun. She is a 14 year fat peekapoo. She is a great companion and doesn't bark, mess and loves to travel. We take our dogs because quite frankly I like them better than most folks I run into. Camping wouldn't be the same without them. Don't feel the need to justify pets as they become part of our family when they come live with us.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Thomasbeau

Once we were camping in NH and the couple next to our site had 4 full size Irish Setters in a vintage camper that could not have been bigger than 15 feet. They set up orange storm fencing across the entire front of their site and the dogs roamed in and out of the camper all weekend. Much more dog than camper. I don't know how they did it.
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
Roscoe

I know this may be the case with most, but we bring our 2 dogs with us when camping in the trailer as we were finding that more and more hotels do not allow pets and we like to travel to the beach since its within a hour from the house. It was more expensive for 2 nights in a pet friendly hotel than my payment on a trailer for the whole month. So after talking about getting a trailer of some sorts we finally did it and now we can go to the beach for 3 nights with our dogs (1 is in a wheel chair for her back legs now) and if we want to go out to dinner then we just leave them hanging out in the trailer until we get back.

Now with the subject of bringing them vs them staying with a dog sitter, we like having them with us and so paying someone to watch them so we can go camping alone didn't make sense to us considering we were already getting a trailer so we could get away and bring them with us and not pay extra for a pet friendly hotel.

we do not bring them to businesses or anything like that unless its a vet place do get their shots.
Edge cs2 Programmer w/ egt
4" Turbo back exhaust
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
shermris

When we camp our dog comes along. The dog sleeps on the floor and is not allowed on furniture or beds. While we love our dog, it is a dog and is treated like a dog. One of the reasons we started camping was to be able to bring a well trained and obedient dog along.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

Well you knew I had to see this thread
Only 4??? Heck that's like no dogs at all.
Now the only time we go camping with more than two is when we go to shows. As I have gotten older we find that prepping and taking care of more than 4 dogs is just beyond our ability. When I was young it was nothing to have 11 German Shepherds along and 5 to 6 of those showing in a variety of events. But those days are long gone. And our TT purchase has always been based on how well it would convert to a K9 hauler. At dog shows everyone has multiple dogs in the campground and no one thinks anything about it. But pleasure camping I just cannot see it either, too much work making sure everyone has equal human time and is walked properly and fed. And as for taking them into places, the German Shepherds just do not enjoy that. Too much like work for them, they feel like they have to be "on duty" watching everyone and staying alert, so they cannot relax and just chill while Carrie and I would have a drink somewhere, or even sitting out in a public place. There is a time and place for that though, when the pups are little and need socialization and to figure out they don't need to be afraid of strangers, etc. And just like children, a well behaved/trained dog in public is a joy. An ill trained and obnoxious one....you get my drift.
All of that said I can honestly say I have thought the exact same thing as Travelin Texans ........only about folks traveling with children.

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Now the only time we go camping with more than two is when we go to shows. As I have gotten older we find that prepping and taking care of more than 4 dogs is just beyond our ability. When I was young it was nothing to have 11 German Shepherds along and 5 to 6 of those showing in a variety of events. But those days are long gone. And our TT purchase has always been based on how well it would convert to a K9 hauler. At dog shows everyone has multiple dogs in the campground and no one thinks anything about it. But pleasure camping I just cannot see it either, too much work making sure everyone has equal human time and is walked properly and fed. And as for taking them into places, the German Shepherds just do not enjoy that. Too much like work for them, they feel like they have to be "on duty" watching everyone and staying alert, so they cannot relax and just chill while Carrie and I would have a drink somewhere, or even sitting out in a public place. There is a time and place for that though, when the pups are little and need socialization and to figure out they don't need to be afraid of strangers, etc. And just like children, a well behaved/trained dog in public is a joy. An ill trained and obnoxious one....you get my drift.
All of that said I can honestly say I have thought the exact same thing as Travelin Texans ........only about folks traveling with children.

Oak

Oh boy!..... Now you done it! At least I'm immune to it; DS is 51 and DD is 46 and they do their own thing so it's just us and pup.....
Old 09-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
notanlines

I know this won't be a record, but our neighbors in the RV park in Florida have a 2018 Tiffin Phaeton, and living with them are eight (8) yes, I said eight Chihuahuas. Not bad enough? Only four will go outside for a walk. There is a padded area inside for the other four. Yes, it was the talk of the park for awhile, but eventually the chatter tapered down and now nobody thinks too much of it. $800K RV; smokers, NO, dogs, YES. And I might add, they are surprisingly quiet.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I know this won't be a record, but our neighbors in the RV park in Florida have a 2018 Tiffin Phaeton, and living with them are eight (8) yes, I said eight Chihuahuas. Not bad enough? Only four will go outside for a walk. There is a padded area inside for the other four. Yes, it was the talk of the park for awhile, but eventually the chatter tapered down and now nobody thinks too much of it. $800K RV; smokers, NO, dogs, YES. And I might add, they are surprisingly quiet.
Please learn pet math... 8 chihuahuas = 1 real dog. Pic of the missus with her 20 year old Chihuahua on a camping trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Claudia_Pippie.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	23754  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:52 PM   #12
Mikendebbie

Pets

Very simple answer...happy wife happy life.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:44 AM   #13
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post

Oak
The kids!

A couple pulled into the spot next to us in a medium sized 5er and out tumbled 6 kids!

Have to say that they are reasonably well behaved though and quiet.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #14
travelin texans

Agree with Shermris!
We've had "a" dog all our married life til we retired & may have another at some point, but all were DOGS not people, although treated very well, they were pets. We were NEVER called Mom/Dad to any pet, NEVER will be & DO NOT refer to our children's pets as "granddogs", they are dogs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #15
dadnjesse

I have two dogs a cat, fish and a rabbit, but it amazes me where people take their pets. I can't count how many times I go to the grocery store and someone has their dog in the shopping cart.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #16
Fishsizzle

Seems like we had this thread last year.

What is it that you want to hear?
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Seems like we had this thread last year.

What is it that you want to hear?

It's a new year!! Do it again! Sort of like trucks/rv's/weights, this brand vs that brand, etc. etc. etc. Nothing wrong with it....things change in a year.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #18
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It's a new year!! Do it again! Sort of like trucks/rv's/weights, this brand vs that brand, etc. etc. etc. Nothing wrong with it....things change in a year.

Still have 5 dogs. They all travel with us in our 5vr. We only take them into Home Depot, or pet stores.

Yes I love them all. Yes I can afford them all. Yes we travel with them in mind. Yes I pick up all their crap, every last ��

Here’s a pic of clients dogs, we have a bunch roll into our daycare every day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6AA6ACA0-041E-426F-A76F-F00C6EE4AC24.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	23765  
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:50 AM   #19
sgfrye

Ok.... I'm the new member with 4 small dogs.

Since the question was asked i will respond why DW and I travel with our dogs.

1. their combined weight is approx 35lbs, smaller than your average Lab, so they don't take up much space and don't eat very much. Our TT is 38ft with 3 slides so we have plenty of space.

2. one of the reasons we started rving 3 years ago when we bought our first TT was because we are able to take them with us anywhere we go. Don't have to board them or ask family members to dogsit them. they aren't the only reason, we love the outdoors and honestly hate staying at motels.

3. we don't have kids or grandkids. we have had small dogs for the past 20 years. they are an integral part of our life, great companions.

4. they travel very well. where we go they go. up and down the east coast, mountains to the ocean, thousands of miles. when in transit they are in 2 travel crates in the backseat of my crew cab truck. they basically curl up and sleep. we have never had a complaint about them. i always personally introduce myself and ask our camping neighbors to notify me if our dogs cause any annoyance to them when we aren't on site. to date no one has ever had a problem. we normally wouldn't leave them alone more than 3 or 4 hours. radio turned on to minimize outside noise. We always clean up after them.

There are some RV "resorts" that have a 2 pet max policy. Totally respect that, we just choose to stay somewhere else.

We never take them into public places.

We also are a foster home for a chihuahua rescue and from time to time we have a foster dog or 2 at home but we don't take them on rv trips. 4 is our max limit on trips.

We have actually talked about converting to foster dogs only after our 4 personal dogs age out and pass on. oldest right now is a 15 yo beagle/chi mix.
sgfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:20 AM   #20
notanlines

I wouldn't think that anyone's choice to have pets/travel with pets would ever be anyone else's business. It certainly is an interesting subject and never fails to boost the forum contribution count.
I believe this photo, taken two years ago tomorrow, tells you how seriously some people take this 'travel with your pets' subject. Yes, that is my DW holding our since departed "Patches."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2107[6147].jpg
Views:	177
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	23767  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote