Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2018, 05:59 AM   #1
Greatlake Grandma

Weak bed struts

Can I put 100's or 120's in place of 80's? I want to use space but can't lift bed.
Greatlake Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:10 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Can you? The answer is yes, if the terminal hardware matches.
Should you? That depends on whether the bed frame is sturdy enough to support the additional 20-40 pounds of pressure on each side from the "heavier" struts. Most RV's (not just Keystone) are built to be as light as possible with the anticipated equipment. Often the engineers who "think these things up for us" don't anticipate someone adding "heavier" struts, so they call for a 1x2 to rail on the bed frame where the "heavier" struts would require a 1x3 or 1x4 top rail to prevent damage.

Look at your bed box/frame and think through whether it's "bending a little already" when the bed is pushed down or whether it's built really light, or whether there's a lot of reinforcement in the area where the struts attach. Every style of bed box/frame is a little different so yours may or may not support the increase to 100 (40 pound increase for two) or the 120 (80 pound increase) which is like adding a third strut to the existing structure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Remember that the purpose of the strut is to "assist" when you open and then hold it open....barely. Ours is fairly heavy to lift but then stays in place; we have however added a much heavier mattress - but they still work.

As John pointed out, if you get them too strong a number of things can go wrong; the increased force they will exert on the framing can break it if it is not stout enough; you can get them so strong that the bed will want to open "for you"....not good.

If you can't raise the bed due to the weight and want to use the under bed space you may have no choice but to upgrade the struts. Do the existing ones hold the bed up? If so I would go to the next size first. It may be a trial and error effort but I wouldn't want my bed to act like a jack in the box either - particularly if I was in it!

Make SURE the framing is strong enough. Also, as you increase the size of the strut at some point the strut itself, and the mounting hardware, are going to increase in size as well. You need to make sure that the framing is not only strong enough to handle the increased pressure, but large enough to accommodate and increase in size of the hardware.

Good luck, let us know.....and watch out for that "jack in the box"!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
Freeheel4life

https://www.iboats.com/shop/carver-s...EaAl5mEALw_wcB

For less than the cost of both gas shocks you can get one of these guys (be sure to get one with the tip not a button snap). I drilled a hole for tip to slide into in plywood that mattress sits on. It's extendable so you can set it to height you need and has a rubber base on the bottom that keeps it from sliding.
Open bed and pop it in. Now you have hands free rummaging ability. I would bet if you google boat cover support pole or boat cover tent pole you can find an even cheaper one. OR there's always just cut a support pole out of some lumber you have lying around.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeheel4life View Post
https://www.iboats.com/shop/carver-s...EaAl5mEALw_wcB

For less than the cost of both gas shocks you can get one of these guys (be sure to get one with the tip not a button snap). I drilled a hole for tip to slide into in plywood that mattress sits on. It's extendable so you can set it to height you need and has a rubber base on the bottom that keeps it from sliding.
Open bed and pop it in. Now you have hands free rummaging ability. I would bet if you google boat cover support pole or boat cover tent pole you can find an even cheaper one. OR there's always just cut a support pole out of some lumber you have lying around.
Looks like these are what I used to use under a boat cover. You have to raise the cover, ie: the bed, first then insert the pole. OP said she can't lift the bed so this might not work.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
Freeheel4life

They are exactly that Danny. I didn't catch that bed couldn't be lifted at all. I automatically jumped to the conclusion of it opening but not being able to support it and use storage area. My bad!

Tags
bed