Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

We regularly have customers make an appointment for us to document the issue, and they take it and use it while we get the repair approved and parts ordered. Once parts are in we call customer and schedule a drop off. It works well for us as we have very limited service storage.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #12
sourdough

We've had this conversation.....extensively. Those that are "up in arms" are usually the folks that have zero idea how the dance plays between owner, dealer and manufacturer with over the wall expectations. Once you understand it, and accept it, which you must, then things aren't so bad . You HAVE to learn how to do the "dance", if not you are destined to be constantly upset.

So many of you buy things far away, from folks you don't know, get the best deal etc. etc. I've read so many posts of folks that bought an RV "over there" and then had problems. Then they find out how the dance works; a Keystone "dealer" has zero obligations to take care of your trailer under warranty since you bought it 5 hours away to save a grand. Whoops! Here you go....the dance.

I buy my RVs at CW. I get good deals. I make sure I am well known to the GM, service manager, sales manager and techs. I don't wait for "weeks or months" for service. I call them, tell them what I need and we set a date based on my needs (I am very aware of their situation as well). When I had a blowout causing damage and stopping a trip, they said to bring it in NOW and we'll have it out in a couple of days (extensive damage). I couldn't get there that quick so they set it for the next day (I was 4 hours out). When I request a mod that I can't do, we discuss it, research it and when they advise it will be $2-3k, I tell them to do it.....just make sure it's right and what I want. You just have to do "the dance". They won't break their back if the only thing you want is free gratis work.

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #13
sportingrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We've had this conversation.....extensively. Those that are "up in arms" are usually the folks that have zero idea how the dance plays between owner, dealer and manufacturer with over the wall expectations. Once you understand it, and accept it, which you must, then things aren't so bad . You HAVE to learn how to do the "dance", if not you are destined to be constantly upset.

So many of you buy things far away, from folks you don't know, get the best deal etc. etc. I've read so many posts of folks that bought an RV "over there" and then had problems. Then they find out how the dance works; a Keystone "dealer" has zero obligations to take care of your trailer under warranty since you bought it 5 hours away to save a grand. Whoops! Here you go....the dance.

I buy my RVs at CW. I get good deals. I make sure I am well known to the GM, service manager, sales manager and techs. I don't wait for "weeks or months" for service. I call them, tell them what I need and we set a date based on my needs (I am very aware of their situation as well). When I had a blowout causing damage and stopping a trip, they said to bring it in NOW and we'll have it out in a couple of days (extensive damage). I couldn't get there that quick so they set it for the next day (I was 4 hours out). When I request a mod that I can't do, we discuss it, research it and when they advise it will be $2-3k, I tell them to do it.....just make sure it's right and what I want. You just have to do "the dance". They won't break their back if the only thing you want is free gratis work.
That's great if you know the drill, I didn't my dealer thought inportant to get sold, I should have done my homework better that's on me.But I can't even use my camper. Right now it wouldn't even make a good yard ornament.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
sportingrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #14
jimthemosaicguy

Makes sense...my issue is that in late 2015 I bought my RV in the state I was living in and because of work I've lived in 3 other states in the last year. This is my first RV and live in it full time. It was a rude awakening when I dropped it off and was told it would take a week to take pics and send to get approval for the warranty work and who knows how long to get a response. It's not like dropping off my truck and getting a rental. I was dropping off my home! I went back and picked it up real fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We regularly have customers make an appointment for us to document the issue, and they take it and use it while we get the repair approved and parts ordered. Once parts are in we call customer and schedule a drop off. It works well for us as we have very limited service storage.
Fantastic! I'm going to use your procedure as an example to the CW we use.
This would be a huge improvement. Only problem is the CW has way too big a service parking/holding area
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #16
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Fantastic! I'm going to use your procedure as an example to the CW we use.
This would be a huge improvement. Only problem is the CW has way too big a service parking/holding area
Just call them and see what you can work out. My CW is PACKED with RVs waiting for service and it's pretty daunting just trying to pull in to get the trailer in line. Good thing is all you do is drop it on the jack and they maneuver it around the lot. If you drop it off with them BE SURE to look your trailer over thoroughly with a service advisor when you drop it off (they carry a little sheet to document any damage) and then when you pick it up. I had the misfortune of one of their "transporter" guys running something down the side of my trailer way too close and tore off the fridge vent and bent the awning arms - all replaced by CW - but, it can happen because they try to pack the units in like sardines.

When I need repairs, but need my trailer, I call and make an appt. for them to get it in and see what needs to be done. I have to leave it for a day or so for them to check it out and then they release it back to me until they are ready with parts etc. so I can use it. Then I take it back for the repairs - which could take several days depending. The bad thing about this scenario is that it requires two round trips to the dealer with the trailer. My dealer is 60 miles away so it's no big deal for others I'm sure it's not the same.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #17
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportingrh View Post
That's great if you know the drill, I didn't my dealer thought inportant to get sold, I should have done my homework better that's on me.But I can't even use my camper. Right now it wouldn't even make a good yard ornament.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

I feel for you. The RV world "dance" is unlike anything I've ever dealt with. My boats don't go through the same thing nor my vehicles. If a person is unaware of the ins and outs it is completely confusing....and aggravating. I'm afraid with the explosion in RV sales the situation is just going to get worse and worse.

You might try what Chuckster suggested. Give them a call and if it's just in a holding pattern see if you can come pick it up (obviously you can but you want to make sure they are on board with it). Hopefully they can at least look at it and get authorization/parts ordered and let you go on your way for a while. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #18
Canonman

My dealer is 50 miles and I thought that was too far. The more I read the more I'm thinking we're not doing too bad.
Yes, we did a complete walk around when we dropped it off. The service manager also took photos of all 4 sides as well. Good protection for both parties.
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #19
sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
My dealer is 50 miles and I thought that was too far. The more I read the more I'm thinking we're not doing too bad.
Yes, we did a complete walk around when we dropped it off. The service manager also took photos of all 4 sides as well. Good protection for both parties.

Yeah, I think the mileage thing is different to different folks. I like to drive and like to tow so 60 miles is a walk in the park. We're in the middle of nowhere so I drive to do most anything; plus we travel all the time so to me it's normal. If you're just 50 miles away, and in Utah, it doesn't sound so bad Just got to get in the right mind set......(wait, wait, wait....)
Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #20
sportingrh

Well cw called said our camper was ready. Got to dealer went thru our list, I very impressed all the work they did looked great, we were very pleased talked Eric, and tech Tim about repairs very polite and helpful. Got unit home pulled a.c. vent and found open past front bedroom vent, going to seal off dead space maybe not have to put in second ac.

sportingrh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty