Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
lacofdfireman

What's better a 2017 Hideout or an 2014 High Country Montana?

We are in the process of selling our 07 Georgetown 350DS Bunk Model Class A and getting a fifth wheel non Bunk Model. Kids are growing up and moving out so we don't need the bunks anymore. We've looked at a few different models and want to spend under $35k. I'd really like to spend half that but want a good quality unit for the times we do go out. I'd estimate we would use the fifth wheel about 20 nights per year. So here are a few I'm looking at.

We really like a 2014 Montana 293RK we looked at. 2 slides and has residential fridge etc. Owner is asking $35k which I think is a little high. High book on it is $31k with low book at $26k. What would you offer

Next would be a 2017 Hideout 30RLDS also double slide. Price is right around $30k. Cheaper than the used Montana but not as high up on the quality scale but you would get that 1 year warranty which could be nice.

Just curious as to what some opinions are on these units? We will most likely buy again when we retire in 10 years so resale would be of interest also.

What are your thought with these 2 units. We aren't set on either one. We may decide on something totally different but these are 2 we like. Guess one of my big questions is new vs used. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
66joej

My personal opinion is that the Montana is a lot more RV than the Hideout. Also resale on the Montana is much better (depending on condition). Although the Hideout is new with warranty. I would buy whatever suits your needs now. JMHO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
lacofdfireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
My personal opinion is that the Montana is a lot more RV than the Hideout. Also resale on the Montana is much better (depending on condition). Although the Hideout is new with warranty. I would buy whatever suits your needs now. JMHO

That's kinda what I figured. Both units would indeed serve us well but from what I understand the build quality on the Montana is higher.

With the Montana the NADA shows the asking price is high at $35k for a used unit. Where would you start your offer.

Here is the book for the Montana according to NADA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree, the Montana is significantly more "feature rich" than the Hideout. From basic R value insulation to quality of the cabinet doors, carpet, appliances and features, the Montana is a "cut above"...

That's not to say the Hideout is inferior, just not built with the same "upgraded stuff".... Don't forget, the Hideout is a wood frame trailer with aluminum siding and the Montana is an aluminum frame trailer with fiberglass siding. That alone would tend to steer me toward the Montana.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with John. Just make SURE you look it over top to bottom; inside cabinets (especially under the sinks), around tub area, roof seals, around ACs and windows (signs of water penetration) etc. Unless the owner has proof of maintenance, plan on pulling the wheels and checking/greasing the bearings. Tires would be another thing that would probably be due for replacement as well. Just things to think about.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
theeyres

Gotta agree...Montana is certainly a mid line RV while Hideout is entry level. However, new over used certainly has its appeal. Don't think the warranty would sway me as pretty good chance nothing will go wrong with the Montana in one year...

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Since you are coming from an "A" I am assuming you do not have a Tow Vehicle (TV) The overall selection of trailer is going to have an impact on the size TV required. So I would compare Trailer/ TV combination in regard to overall cost. Others have provided good comments regarding the trailer.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
lacofdfireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Since you are coming from an "A" I am assuming you do not have a Tow Vehicle (TV) The overall selection of trailer is going to have an impact on the size TV required. So I would compare Trailer/ TV combination in regard to overall cost. Others have provided good comments regarding the trailer.

Already have a 2007 Duramax diesel. That's plenty of truck for what I'll be towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
lacofdfireman

Going to the dealerships in SoCal today to kick some tires. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
hideout, montana