Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
warsw

Thinking of going full time.

Wife and I are thinking of selling our home and going full time RV. We are trying to find out if the reality of it is as good as the fantasy. Have any of you sold your home and gone full time RV and regretted the change? Thanks for any thoughts and/or advice.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Sounds like a big decision, I guess if you are going to do it, do it while you are young. At my age decided to keep that stick home that I will have to come back to. Do not remember what rig you currently have but from comments I have seen, camping and living full time in a rig is really different. I think we have a few timers on here, I am sure as soon as they awake they will chime in. Whatever your decision you make, Good Luck and Enjoy.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

To me (us) moving to fulltime is a huge decision. We won't do it.

Considerations: All our homes are paid for so monthly costs aren't an issue. Living in the RV is fun and can be done in fun places; after 3 months living in a small place (38' RV) can, and does, get very confining (we do it every year). Year round would not be something we would want to do: I suppose we could do it if we had to but we don't.

When you decide to sell all your real assets (property) and move into an RV, a toy that depreciates every day, you give away any hope of any kind of property appreciation or gains that you would actually make with real property. For those like us, retired, living on a fixed income (albeit a nice one), when one of us dies living in an RV as the only home you could have is not acceptable. How would DW take care of all the "stuff" that happens in an RV all the time? It is NOT a stick and brick home. How would she have a garden? Shop? Garage for vehicles? Comfort knowing she's taken care of? ....Live in a place that is secure from high winds?... It's a TOY! I know some live in them full time and that's what they like. For us, it's something that could not, and would not, possibly work for us.....we like a few thousand square feet of room to wander around in....and PUPPY loves that even more!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:05 AM   #4
rrjernigan

Wife my retired last quarter of 2015. I'm looking at retiring end of 2017. She will be 61 at the end of this year and I will be 55. In 2016 (March or April) we sold our house and property and began to full time while I continued to work. Absolutely no regrets. Concerns obviously (health insurance, loss of investments we plan to live on until my pension kicks in, what to do when we decide we no longer want to travel in the rv and a few others). None of them outweigh the freedom and the fulfillment of our dream to fulltime rv. We always expected to wait until I turned 65 then I would retire and we would full time rv. We decided to do it now just in case health issues prevent us from doing so in the future. When I turn 65 she will be 71. We are hoping to have at least 10 and maybe 15 years of full time living. After that, we will either purchase a new small home, rent/purchase a condo or just plop the rv in one spot and live there. Any of which will be great. If full timing is something you are certain you desire to do, do it. Don't wait until you are not able to. Good luck.
rrjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrjernigan View Post
Wife my retired last quarter of 2015. I'm looking at retiring end of 2017. She will be 61 at the end of this year and I will be 55. In 2016 (March or April) we sold our house and property and began to full time while I continued to work. Absolutely no regrets. Concerns obviously (health insurance, loss of investments we plan to live on until my pension kicks in, what to do when we decide we no longer want to travel in the rv and a few others). None of them outweigh the freedom and the fulfillment of our dream to fulltime rv. We always expected to wait until I turned 65 then I would retire and we would full time rv. We decided to do it now just in case health issues prevent us from doing so in the future. When I turn 65 she will be 71. We are hoping to have at least 10 and maybe 15 years of full time living. After that, we will either purchase a new small home, rent/purchase a condo or just plop the rv in one spot and live there. Any of which will be great. If full timing is something you are certain you desire to do, do it. Don't wait until you are not able to. Good luck.
I think this post has some points that illustrate the differences of why some folks want to fulltime and others not. The perception of fulltiming as freedom; the ability to go anywhere and stay is certainly appealing, but, you can do that and still keep a s&b to fall back to IMO. After 3 months in one (the longest we've stayed in one sitting) our perception is not one of freedom but more of confinement.

Waiting until you are 65 to "have fun".....don't wait if you don't have to. While I was working and in my 50's I watched many folks wait for 65 to retire and do what they had dreamed of only to fall ill or just die. We bailed out at 55 and haven't looked back.....and have had a ton of fun and made a million memories. I highly recommend it if you can.

Just a note; in the first 2 months here I have talked to 2 folks that went to fulltiming in the past year; they both now are trying to find a regular house. One couple sold their home a couple of months ago and moved into the 5th wheel they had purchased a year before. They used it to come here and spend a month or so then would go home. They've been in it now for 3 months and the wife loves it but insists they need a bigger 5vr (the one they have now is pretty big and going on 2 years old). He doesn't like the full timing so now they are trying to figure out how to buy a new RV and some sort of home so that she will have a "place" in the future (she has several illnesses). The 2nd couple retired last April and sold everything including all his shop tools to "fulltime". They have now made an offer on a small mobile home because they need "a place". He told me they thought it would be great but there is only so much fishing and kayaking you can do, plus, he misses all his tools and having "stuff".

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from fulltiming. I'm just saying it is a huge decision, especially if you are going to give up real property and assets and it requires a LOT of thought and forward thinking. I wish good luck and happy travels to anyone who wants to go that route.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
cpt_majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Waiting until you are 65 to "have fun".....don't wait if you don't have to. While I was working and in my 50's I watched many folks wait for 65 to retire and do what they had dreamed of only to fall ill or just die. We bailed out at 55 and haven't looked back.....and have had a ton of fun and made a million memories. I highly recommend it if you can.
This is something I've seen a lot of with co-workers, work, work, work, retire, fall ill and pass away, it's so disheartening. I'm still in the early preparation stages to leave at 55, hopefully.

The plan as of now is to perhaps rent our home, for the last few years of the mortgage anyway, we'll make some monthly money while not losing access to our house. that way we will have an out in the event we get sick of living in a 35 foot can, I don't think we will, but never say never. We will be camp hosting etc. to keep busy, meet people and make a few pennies.

So much great information in these threads
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:47 AM   #7
gearhead

I'm like sourdough, I just couldn't do it. As much as I enjoy traveling, living in that crackerbox RV would drive me nuts. Living in a RV park, looking out my window to see someone looking out their window at me ain't gonna work. I'm sitting in my recliner typing this and looking out my window at several thousand acres of federal wildlife refuge.
My wife never has driven while towing a trailer. Knowing that I will probably "go" first, I don't want to leave her in a RV park in the middle of nowhere.
But whatever pulls your trigger.
add: My brother is thinking the same issues. He's an accountant and counts his pennies several times. He is considering using an agency to rent his house for short term tenants (1-4 weeks). Will allow him and his girlfriend to travel for extended times and return to "home" and familiar surroundings.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose we're (the DW and me) are "hybrids" in this decision. We had the big house, 3600 sqft heated/6300 sqft under roof, pool, 3 car workshop/3 car garage on 10 acres, all fenced adjacent to 2000 acres of pine forest wildlife preserve, several miles from the nearest flood plain, so we were always "high and dry"... Honestly, it was just too much house for us to keep up without help. So, when I retired, we downsized, moved to the same community as the DW's siblings (so she has support if I die first). We currently have about 2500 sqft heated, on a small lake, most of the acreage is forested, so no maintenance to speak of and adjacent to about 25000 acres of state forest and 350000 acres of national forest.

We have the fifth wheel, boat and truck to "escape" for as long as we want, but also have "home" to return to. At "home" I've got 2 pole barns, one is a workshop, one to store toys, enough dirt to play with my tractor the rest of my life and never dig the same hole twice.

Would we "give up" all of this for a permanent life on the road? Nope, but that's just our decision, our lifestyle and our preference. I know people who have property near us who travel exclusively. They live here during the summer, head south for the winter, take several "vacations" during the year to visit places they want to see and return to one of the "camps" to set up the trailer for a while. They're happy doing that, so it's definitely a choice with which they're satisfied.

To each his own really applies to this decision. For some it's a win/win, for some it's a win/lose, for some it's a lose/lose. Weigh your options, do what's best for you and realize that you can almost always "change your mind" if you make the right plans in the early stages.......

Bottom line, we'll all die, some die happy, some don't...........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
Tbos

Thinking of going full time.

We are planning on selling most everything we have and full timing when I retire in a few years. We are looking at the stuff we have accumulated through the years and see it as just that, stuff. MD is a tax and spend state so we know we can't stay in the S&B we have here. We are considering all the items mentioned in the previous posts. Once we retire we plan on touring and seeing the good old USA and try to find the location where we will park when we can no longer roam the roads. Before I retire the plan is to sell the S&B and live locally full timing. That will be our experiment. We are looking now at upgrades to our TV and to a 5er. My Dad and his wife full timed for 15 years before they put roots down in the great state of TX. They absolutely loved the freedom. Let us know what you decide.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
Cbrez

My buddy and his wife are full timers and love it. They didn't sell their home, but rent it out - easy to do next to the coast in Virginia Beach - and they come back once a year or so to check on the property. Their official residence is South Dakota, where they avoid a lot of local taxes and have their mail box. They also camp host most of the year, so they live "rent free" while working 3-4 days a week. Full timing is not for us, but they love it.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #11
CaptnJohn

We talked about full timing for a while. Decided to keep the S&B. After about 3 months we need 3000 sq ft to regroup. After a couple weeks we can go again for a week, month, or 3 months but after 3 months the 5er is cramped. We both are a little gypsy but not enough to be able to do without more space at times. Still think about it as a fun thing but know we cannot. Mostly, no way would I leave my wife in an RV she cannot (or will not) move and be unable to take care of.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
Steve S

When I took the leap I went in feet first and I've never looked back. I rent out my house for $4500.00 a month with a 2 yr lease at a time, it's paid for so everything is all profit. I still come back for a month here and there and park it behind my shop.
I was forced to retire @ the age of 42 and traveling around, doing alot of fishing, hiking and being away from everything is a way of life that works perfect for me but not others.
I have a cabin on the Gulf Islands and I'm there for a week or so through out the winter and there for most of the summer.
There's one thing that I could never give up and that's my shop, I couldn't imagine not having a shop as I love my woodworking.
I've only stayed in those campsites where you can stick your arm out the window and touch your neighbors twice and I'll never do that again as it's noisy and pretty depressing!
What I've told friends who plan to full time is pretty simple. Take a yr and just go, don't make plans and rush as there's no need to and to always keep in mind that you're on your time and to enjoy life as you only get to do it once
Old 02-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
rrjernigan

Don't let someone's negativity for a lifestyle dissuade you from doing what it is your heart tells you. I wouldn't dream of trying to talk you into full timing nor out of full timing. We love the life style, others don't. Doesn't mean they are right or we are right. Selling everything and full timing is a huge decision. But it is not one that cannot be changed. Life is not always about having property that appreciates in value. Life decisions should not always be made with the pocketbook as your guide. Sure, it places restrictions and has a great deal to do with your personal decision but if your heart is telling you full time, follow your heart and make it work. If we need more income after I retire, I will go out and earn more income, there are always ways. If after two years we find it confining (we don't) we can always go back to something else. Live your life as you desire, not as the naysayers think best. Full timing, it's a risk no doubt. But what is life without risk? Good lock and the only advice you need is your own.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Don't let someone's negativity for a lifestyle dissuade you from doing what it is your heart tells you. I wouldn't dream of trying to talk you into full timing nor out of full timing. We love the life style, others don't. Doesn't mean they are right or we are right. Selling everything and full timing is a huge decision. But it is not one that cannot be changed. Life is not always about having property that appreciates in value. Life decisions should not always be made with the pocketbook as your guide. Sure, it places restrictions and has a great deal to do with your personal decision but if your heart is telling you full time, follow your heart and make it work. If we need more income after I retire, I will go out and earn more income, there are always ways. If after two years we find it confining (we don't) we can always go back to something else. Live your life as you desire, not as the naysayers think best. Full timing, it's a risk no doubt. But what is life without risk? Good lock and the only advice you need is your own.
Good advice no doubt....but, the pocketbook (future) has to be kept in mind at all times when you get older (what the "heart" wants to do is for a 20 year old). I get to meet lots of folks "trapped" in their RV and trying to buy something as cheap as a 50k property is out of the question. One of the folks I mentioned in another thread that chose to do what you suggest opines for a home but has found that he has to find odd jobs all the time trying to subsist and drives a 15? year old truck.....he's 73. I ain't going to be in that place nor put my wife there; particularly at that point in my life so think it through.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #15
rrjernigan

Just saw the post about the shop. That is what I miss the most about our old unmovable home. We had about 12 acres, 3000 sq ft, tractors, equipment, and best of all, my steel building I used as a wood working shop. Loved to make furniture for my family. Still, we made the decision (wife and I) and I am committed.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:09 AM   #16
rrjernigan

There is no sense talking with rude negative people.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:51 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
There is no sense talking with rude negative people.
I apologize if you took my post as rude and/or negative. I was trying to be honest and realistic.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:12 PM   #18
warsw

Thanks for all the input. I truly appreciate it. There is a lot to think about both pro and con.

Our thoughts right now are we want to be able to travel around and see all of what the US has to offer. We also want to be able to get away from the harsh winters that Central Oregon has to offer and not have to worry about the house we left behind.

My wife and I have both worked really hard all our adult life and we are thinking it’s time to play. We are thinking that if we someday get tired of the RV life we would just either find a place we really like and set up more permanent or get a small home and call it a day. My wife and I are really healthy and active right now and we are not quite ready to just sit back and become couch potatoes.

My wife and I owned an RV park that we sold a couple years ago. We made a lot of friends from all over the US. We are kind of thinking it would be fun to return the favor and visit with some of them on their own turf and then just let things morph from there.

You guys have given us a lot to think about. We have a really nice home so we will have to do some real sole searching before we actually make the move.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #19
rrjernigan

Good luck to you. Perhaps we will met on the road someday.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Good luck on whatever you choose to do. From the conversations I've had with some of the full timers which I believe I may have posted in this thread, be sure and try to save a little nest egg back to enable you to purchase a permanent place if and when the time comes.