Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Treemover

Slides out this winter

I was recently notified that my Montana slides had moved out this winter while my camper was in storage.
The maintenance man at Hart Ranch helped fix the issue but it is disconcerting that this had happened at all
Has anyone else ever had this happen or heard of this happen
Treemover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
travelin texans

With electric slides there has to be 12 volts on the motors to prevent them from idling out. If your battery went dead or you disconnected it the slides could have moved on their own. This is the reason why on most rvs the battery disconnect does not disconnect the slide motors.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
NorskeBob

I had that happen with an Everest once with hydraulic slides - not an issue with our Avalanche though.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With electric slides there has to be 12 volts on the motors to prevent them from idling out. If your battery went dead or you disconnected it the slides could have moved on their own. This is the reason why on most rvs the battery disconnect does not disconnect the slide motors.
Is this really true? If so, what do you do when you store your camper at an outside facility with no access in the cold northern winters? I have always pulled the battery and stored it at home with a trickle charge for the winter.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #5
NorskeBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
Is this really true? If so, what do you do when you store your camper at an outside facility with no access in the cold northern winters? I have always pulled the battery and stored it at home with a trickle charge for the winter.
I do the same - pull the batteries in the fall for winter storage - have not had issues with electric slides - only hydraulic slides - if the valves leak slightly the slide can come out.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
spicercars

I also take the batteries out of mine and never had a problem.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
MerlinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That is absolutely not true. You apply 12 volts to electric slide motors to make them move not to keep them from moving. If an electric slide is moving without energizing the motor something in the drive mechanism is broken or disconnected.

Hydraulic slides can move on their own if there is a leak in the cylinder or connecting lines.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Hydraulic slide actuators (like any hydraulic ram) will move if there is a leak in the actuator, within the ram or in the system. Essentially, the pressure bleeds down and allows the piston within the ram to change position.

On early electric slides, locks (jacks or sticks) were required to hold the slide in place during towing to keep them from moving out. Later (current) design does not require locks and will not extend accidentally (as long as the slide mechanism is not broken). There is no requirement that I know of to maintain electrical power on the slide mechanism to keep it "locked in position". Slides won't move, by design, unless power is applied to the motor to cause the movement.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, winter